What's new

NFL Kickoff - Vikings @ Saints

Was working so I didn't get to watch it. Listened to the whole thing. Sounds like the Vikings O needs to step up. Sounds like their D played inspired. Sounds like Shiancoe will have a Pro-Bowl season...and yes I'm eating my crow right now.

That's all I ask.

In all seriousness though, the defenses were great and you could tell the Vikings put it in a whole other gear after the Saints marched the field for a score on the first drive. Shiancoe looked great and AP looked stronger (if that's even possible) than in the past. Favre looked awful. His only TD was more credited to a great Shiancoe catch than a good pass. He just couldn't hit his spots and let his frustrations get the best of him.

As for the Saints, they definitely have a lot to work on in the running game but they proved yet again that they will beat you any way possible. They'll just as soon beat you with defense as they will with a 40+ point game. Brees looked great and his chemistry with the receivers was clear.

This is going to be a tough conference this year.

That's all I ask.

In all seriousness though, the defenses were great and you could tell the Vikings put it in a whole other gear after the Saints marched the field for a score on the first drive. Shiancoe looked great and AP looked stronger (if that's even possible) than in the past. Favre looked awful. His only TD was more credited to a great Shiancoe catch than a good pass. He just couldn't hit his spots and let his frustrations get the best of him.

As for the Saints, they definitely have a lot to work on in the running game but they proved yet again that they will beat you any way possible. They'll just as soon beat you with defense as they will with a 40+ point game. Brees looked great and his chemistry with the receivers was clear.

Agreed. I have defended Favre from the jumpstreet in reference to his not wanting to show up for most of camp. This year it bit me squarely on the proverbial ***. Last year in the opener against Cleveland he only passed for 110 yards and the Vikings used AP to the win. The problem is you just can't do that with the Saints, they are too vertical and if you get down they force you to pass. It's all fine and good if your going to miss most of camp, but come to play (if you're 42 year old Favre). But it really hurt this year's opener. Favre's timing was obviously off. Hopefully he recognizes that and hits it hard between games because we will not be able to tout that O out on the field and expect a win during weeks 5, 6, and 7 which are the Jets, Cowboys, and Packers. I think ultimately Favre will be Favre and be over it, but I'd be lying if I wasn't a bit concerned. I also hope Harvin realizes he HAS to step up.

To take something positive away, I love the way the D showed up. Especially missing Asher Allen and Lito Shepherd for portions of the game while they nurse injuries.

P.S. Listening to the game on the radio with Boomer Esiason doing color was tiresome and irritating. I don't think he had an exchange where he didn't bitch about the Vikes not throwing on first down. The f-ing run sets up the pass Boomer!

Passing first on 1st down at times to mix it up when you're a run-heavy team (as the Vikes seemed to be with the old man at the helm) is play-calling 101. Esiason was right.

That's all I ask.

You realize Pierre Thomas ran it right down their throats to win the game.

Go phins!
I'm with ya but they're gonna have to play a HELLUVA lot better to get a win in Minni next week.

Oh and not to change this to a Phin thread but as a fellow Phin fan weren't you upset that Sparano bitched up at the end of the first half? I mean they're already in FG range and I know your out of time outs but at that time the offense was still on a pretty good roll and there was 23sec left why not at least run one more play there's still enough time to spike if it ends in bounds or don't score. Also IMO I think the Phins team followed suite, since Sparano bitched out and quit on the drive the team did the same for the rest of the game.
Now I say this not because they missed the FG I was pissed before hand and Sparano I love him as a coach but this is one of my few gripes with him as he did similar things last season even with time outs. I think he plays not to lose in these situations and it more often then not seems to bite the team in the butt.

You realize Pierre Thomas ran it right down their throats to win the game.

They had 25 carries for 79 yards as a team for the game. That's an average of 3.2 yards per carry. Call me crazy but I don't really consider that "running it down their throats". Granted they showed signs of life through the run game in the second half and put together one nice drive, but it's a serious stretch to say he ran it down their throats.

Why is this thread still stickied?

This is a true story. Over the last two weeks I've come to realize I have a pet spider. It was spinning these incredible webs outside my window in this little garden I have. Then it moved over to my hummingbird feeder and was blocking the hummingbirds. I wasn't sure how to deal with that so I let nature take its course. Today I woke up and was truly astounded. The spider, lets call her Stevie, had constructed the most elaborate web from a bulb on my ceiling fan to the TV to a French door I have. It's really impressive. All day I wasn't sure what to do about it. But for the time being I'm letting Stevie crash here. I can see her right now right in the middle of my living room. It's the craziest looking thing. Don't worry, I'll update this story as it unfolds.

Stevie's web didn't totally work out. But she didn't leave, either. She abandoned the TV and the Light. She has now built a new web between 2 French Doors. It's awesome, but the pathway between those doors is dead to me. It's really not a big deal, she's not taking up that much space, and I like her. She also hasn't caught anything in the two days she's been here so I'm wondering if she should probably just move on. But I'm leaving it up to her.

Calling my shot...

Vikings by atleast two touchdowns.

This will be a high scoring shootout, but ultimately the Saints will have a post superbowl let down.

Favre throws for 4 td's and the Vikes show everyone they are just fine wthout Sidney Rice.