What's new

Nikola Mirotic

Saying the George Hill trade is irrelevent to this situation is really foolish. George Hill was an excellent fit on the Jazz, and a better player than Mirotic. The only reason it can be argued a poor trade in hindsight is the fact that the Jazz didn't gain longterm team control in the deal, and Hill ended up walking. That's definitely applicable to the current situation.

I know everyone is getting excited about Mirotic being intrigued by the Jazz, but you have to remember that that's literally just it - he is reported to be 'intrigued' (and we don't even have an actual quote from him to get a sense of the context). All of a sudden fans are making this giant leap and translating that into Mirotic really liking the coaching staff and organization, and using that supposition as evidence indicating he will stay. That's a breakdown of logic; not using the outcome of the George Hill trade to inform our current decision.

I would probably agree that Mirotic would be worth a 20-30 pick. That is not an asset the Jazz have, so there isn't a conversation to be had. A first round pick with top-20 protection is a very different asset, because of the multi-year future trade restrictions it comes with. Think of it like the non-player trade asset equivalent of taking on bad contracts. It really limits your flexibility down the road.

If the Jazz had a late first round pick, I'd be all for sending it to Chicago. I don't think it's nearly as clear a decision when what we're giving up is years of trade flexibility (that very well could extend beyond Mirotic even being in Utah, at that).

Perfect. Says it all. End of thread.

So, count me OUT as far as a first for Mirotic. If we trade Favors to the Cavs for their 28th pick, then I would drop that for Mirotic myself. A high first just isn't the same as a 5 - 12 with a chance at a lottery ball that we deserve at this point. The karma gods have been against us in spite of the classiness of the org. Gordon leaving should mean that Karma gives us back Spida and a top 2 lottery ball!

Amen.

Good sequence D-img up Durant and the. Getting a three at ~0:35.

The more I watch him the more I think we should go get him. Give him 36 minutes a night and he might unlock our offense. He moves really well for a guy his size and is doing some things in the post on mismatches.

I’d really like to get Niko and a top ten pick. If we get him the tank is over... I never really believed we would have the guts to make the moves necessary to truly tank into the 7-8 range.

This is a tough one... most teams don’t have the expiring salary and picks to do it.

The more I watch him the more I think we should go get him. Give him 36 minutes a night and he might unlock our offense. He moves really well for a guy his size and is doing some things in the post on mismatches.

I’d really like to get Niko and a top ten pick. If we get him the tank is over... I never really believed we would have the guts to make the moves necessary to truly tank into the 7-8 range.

This is a tough one... most teams don’t have the expiring salary and picks to do it.

completely agree with all that

Are you trying to kill him?

I'm so tired of the speculation. These 20 whatever days are going to take forever. Send Favors, Burks and JoeJ to nice new homes and lets support Mitchell while welcoming back Gobert and Exum.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

Our pick this year is currently tracking so high that I don't think Chicago regards it as realistic to acquire it without protections. Or at all. I hope the discussions involve a future pick, with protection.

Our pick this year is currently tracking so high that I don't think Chicago regards it as realistic to acquire it without protections. Or at all. I hope the discussions involve a future pick, with protection.

Agree I’d do top ten protected 2019... would be extremely likely to convey... I’d try to dump AB in the process though. Detroit and Portland are trying to dump three year bad contracts and ABs is only a one year deal.

Agree I’d do top ten protected 2019... would be extremely likely to convey... I’d try to dump AB in the process though. Detroit and Portland are trying to dump three year bad contracts and ABs is only a one year deal.
Does anyone think Alec Burks and next years first round pick doesn’t get it done? I see that as a very good move and it frees up Favors for some kind of Cleveland deal.

Does anyone think Alec Burks and next years first round pick doesn’t get it done? I see that as a very good move and it frees up Favors for some kind of Cleveland deal.

It should. I don’t think we have offered that though which is fine. The risk is almost all with them. If dude gets hurt he will have zero value.

We are likely waiting to see if we can get a different first or if they will accept second round picks

I don't understand everyone's rush to get rid of Burks. His cap number affects basically nothing for the duration of his deal.

I don't understand everyone's rush to get rid of Burks. His cap number affects basically nothing for the duration of his deal.
Dead weight. Aside from Rubio, there’s no other dead weight.

If only we would have kept our pick instead of traded it for George Hill. Then we might have timothe luwawu cabarrot (a guy lots of jazz fanzers, myself included, wanted with that pick) and his 6 points and 1.6 rebounds per game along with his 38% shooting and his 30% 3 point shooting.

We would probably be competing for home court advantage in the playoffs if only we had him.

Not only was I in favor of that move, I stated so in the draft thread where people were saying who they wanted to draft with that pick. I'm also fine with the pick we traded for Rubio, as we were still trying to keep Haywood. However, at this point Utah is not in a position to be trading away picks, especially after burning 2 in the last 2 years.

Disagree. Imo we have a first we can offer. That is something that I belive tyne bulls value. I think the jazz should trade a 1st for him.

If Mirotic were under contract for several years, I'd say do it. But he's only under contract for 1 more year, and the Jazz wouldn't even have his Bird rights so he'd be a UFA with the Jazz having no advantage in signing him over other teams. And if he'd like to sign here as a UFA, the Jazz can just wait until 2019 and sign him as a UFA. This is very similar to the Hill situation, except with Hill I was in favor of the trade because I thought it would help re-sign Hayward. Here there's nothing like that going on, so there's no way the Jazz should give up a 1st in such a trade.

Edit: to be clear, I think it would be great if the Jazz can snag Mirotic. But only if Chicago concedes and takes a couple seconds instead of a first, or if that first comes from a third party, like Cleveland.

My view as well.

If Mirotic were under contract for several years, I'd say do it. But he's only under contract for 1 more year, and the Jazz wouldn't even have his Bird rights so he'd be a UFA with the Jazz having no advantage in signing him over other teams. And if he'd like to sign here as a UFA, the Jazz can just wait until 2019 and sign him as a UFA. This is very similar to the Hill situation, except with Hill I was in favor of the trade because I thought it would help re-sign Hayward. Here there's nothing like that going on, so there's no way the Jazz should give up a 1st in such a trade.
We’d have his early-Bird rights and could sign him up to $22M/yr or something (something higher than he’d get), so I don’t think not having full bird riffs is an issue.