What's new

Nikola Mirotic

So glad Lindsey didn't make the trade. Now we can most likely let more "assets" expire to acquire more cap space so we can sign other teams bench players.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

So glad Lindsey didn't make the trade. Now we can most likely let more "assets" expire to acquire more cap space so we can sign other teams bench players.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
It would have been much better to send our top 10 pick for Nikola freaking Mirotic rental.

It would have been much better to send our top 10 pick for Nikola freaking Mirotic rental.
1. We won't have a top 10 pick.
2. We don't have to give up an unprotected pick.
3. He's a guy who wants the team to have his bird rights and wants to play in Utah. Could you elaborate on rental?

3. He's a guy who wants the team to have his bird rights and wants to play in Utah. Could you elaborate on rental?

I mean he could be here for 5+ years and still be a rental... we don't own him ;)

Goodbye Mirotic, I loved the idea of you being here. May be next year if Pelicans sign Cousins and try to dump you.

Well, bummer. Jazz could have got him for a lottery protected first but I guess they didnt like want him bad enough.

Or more likely they were banking on the asking price coming down and they were wrong.

Bad move unless they have a bigger better player they are targeting and actually acquire. Ill save my judgement until after the deadline.

There are not many players on Mirotic's level that fit next to Gobert and actually want to play for the Jazz.

We'll see about the top 10 pick. We might or might not have it. Even if it's top 15... still Mirotic is not worth that. And this is the reason why Mirotic by himself couldn't get the 1st. They needed to take on a 15M albatross Asik, give up a second round pick and a second round pick swap. So yeah... his value was not close to a first rounder by himself. The protection on the pick they got is top 5. Would you have been happy with a top 5 protected pick for Mirotic?

1 year changes a lot. This current year is lost either way. We are not going anywhere with or without Mirotic. So in essence you have 1 year of Mirotic to go as far as you can, after which you never know if he will want to resign, if Utah will want to give him the best offer, etc. A lot changes in a year. Hill wanted to stay too... in the beginning. Then he didn't. Utah wanted to extend Hill... then they didn't...

The Jazz are not in a moment of their rebuild when we can afford to to give up firsts for a middling starter who's been mediocre for his whole career and has just had a 20 games hot streak.

This sin of omission will haunt us. We'll rationalize later with "he just wasn't worth that at the time."

I'm cool with this. I bet the Jazz/Pels have a deal worked out to trade Mirotic to the Jazz if Cousins doesn't resign. Remember how DL said they "almost" had a deal for GH the deadline before we actually traded for him?

Jazz didn’t overpay for the guy, it doesn’t upset me terribly. You don’t just make a move to make a move. A move needs to be made but my god Jazz fans DL got us DM. Can you imagine the state of our franchise without the move DL made during the draft? I trust DL to do what is needed but not overly jeprodize our future assets.

We'll see about the top 10 pick. We might or might not have it. Even if it's top 15... still Mirotic is not worth that. And this is the reason why Mirotic by himself couldn't get the 1st. They needed to take on a 15M albatross Asik, give up a second round pick and a second round pick swap. So yeah... his value was not close to a first rounder by himself. The protection on the pick they got is top 5. Would you have been happy with a top 5 protected pick for Mirotic?

1 year changes a lot. This current year is lost either way. We are not going anywhere with or without Mirotic. So in essence you have 1 year of Mirotic to go as far as you can, after which you never know if he will want to resign, if Utah will want to give him the best offer, etc. A lot changes in a year. Hill wanted to stay too... in the beginning. Then he didn't. Utah wanted to extend Hill... then they didn't...
Are you meaning to argue that if Chicago is willing to take on all that salary for a top 5 protected pick, that it would have to be a pick of equal or greater value if they're getting an expiring in return?

We lottery protect the pick and this deal was done two weeks ago, before Boogie had his bogey.

Monroe will sign with boston and Utah will trade Favors etc. for Mirotic and it was not worth giving up a 1st for when they will be looking to dump him in July. But he's still my favorite stretch four to put next to Gobert.

It sucks to lose out on Mirotic today, but it doesn't mean he won't play for the Jazz in the near future.

DL values that pick, and his draft history legitimizes that value.

Are you meaning to argue that if Chicago is willing to take on all that salary for a top 5 protected pick, that it would have to be a pick of equal or greater value if they're getting an expiring in return?

We lottery protect the pick and this deal was done two weeks ago, before Boogie had his bogey.
I would have hated it if it was lottery protected too. Mirotic is not worth that.

Jazz didn’t overpay for the guy, it doesn’t upset me terribly. You don’t just make a move to make a move. A move needs to be made but my god Jazz fans DL got us DM. Can you imagine the state of our franchise without the move DL made during the draft? I trust DL to do what is needed but not overly jeprodize our future assets.
A guy fills our biggest position of need -- and is literally the only guy out there that's available, especially at his caliber -- but everyone's more worried about not overpaying. A top 20 protected pick would have closed this deal weeks ago.

A guy fills our biggest position of need -- and is literally the only guy out there that's available, especially at his caliber -- but everyone's more worried about not overpaying. A top 20 protected pick would have closed this deal weeks ago.
And where does it actually get us? You have DM and Gobert. Mirotic would be a good peace, he’s not so proven that you just give up a high asking price. He’s a move you make when you’re closer than we are today if you’re giving up those assets.

You NEVER overpay if you are playing the long game. If we end up with a player from that pick and add Mirotic later in free agency, then the Jazz have maximized their assets instead of settling for instant gratification.