What's new

Nikola Mirotic

He has 1/2 a season at playing at an all-star level this year in his limited minutes. He has 3 1/2 years of showing he is a good all around player that would fit great in our system.
All-star level? Seriously? Holy ****. This thing is getting out of hand. He has 3 years of utter and complete mediocrity and 25 games hot streak ...

I'm closer to your position on wanting Mirotic than many were here, but we just don't know whether the Bulls might have accepted such an offer then. It may have been that they decided to wait until the deadline to see what opened up (in which case it appears they would have been wise). It seems that the first (and as good a first as possible) trumped any of their other priorities.
It's possible, but I see it more this way:

What's more likely... the Bulls would have balked at an offer of an expiring and a top 20 protected pick, when they've made it known that they'd take any first rounder for Mirotic (and had to take a long contract to get it) OR Dennis Lindsey just has no interest in trading any kind of first rounder.

Pretty certain it's the latter.

I can see both sides of the coin. I like the one DL chose better. Jazz are a great organization with a great GM. The Jazz are a competent organization in a small market that have found a way to compete.

Mirotic' career 3p% is 36%. His career FG% is 41%. Hood has better %s than that and he's a freaking guard that gets annihilated by Jazz fans for being inconsistent. Come on, you are acting like we lost on Kevin Love in his prime. The guy couldn't even start on a trash Bulls team.

I mean... I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him to see how he fits, but he's not worth a first from the Jazz.
Yup. There are a handful of dudes around here that got waaaaay too dazed over Mirotic. Infection was infected AF

All-star level? Seriously? Holy ****. This thing is getting out of hand. He has 3 years of utter and complete mediocrity and 25 games hot stretch.

His numbers per minutes are all-star level right now during the "hot streak." He is putting up elite numbers right now. Maybe that doesnt last, who knows. It very well could with the Jazz and our system that would benefit him greatly. Even if he came back down to what his career averages are thats great in our system and a great fit.

He was better than mediocrity for the other 3 years, and his fit also makes him even more valuable.

All-star level? Seriously? Holy ****. This thing is getting out of hand. He has 3 years of utter and complete mediocrity and 25 games hot streak ...
What's your opinion on Aaron Gordon and does the same standard apply?

Yup. There are a handful of dudes around here that got waaaaay too dazed over Mirotic. Infection was infected AF
We'll see. I suspect time will be as favorable to the above view as it was to "Hayward is just doing this to increase the exposure of his brand."

It's possible, but I see it more this way:

What's more likely... the Bulls would have balked at an offer of an expiring and a top 20 protected pick, when they've made it known that they'd take any first rounder for Mirotic (and had to take a long contract to get it) OR Dennis Lindsey just has no interest in trading any kind of first rounder.

Pretty certain it's the latter.

It was the timing I'm questioning. A top 20 protected offer highly unlikely to convey this year (whether actually offered by the Jazz, or just hypothetically), may have led them to at least hold off until the deadline to see if they could get something better -- not that they would have rejected it in the end if that was the best offer. But if I had to guess, I'd say you're probably right that Lindsey had no interest in trading a first rounder.

What's your opinion on Aaron Gordon and does the same standard apply?
Aaron Gordon's streak is 40 games and he's 22 and he's starting and playing against starters unlike Mirotic. Mirotic is 27 in 1 week. It's much more reasonable to expect big jumps from players in their early 20s than of ones in their mid-late 20s. That's why I would say I'm more likely to buy into Gordon's improvement.

And, yes, I still would like to see Gordon over more extended period of time before I pronounce him the next big thing.

They are also very different type of prospect, which was reflected by where they were drafted.

Last edited:
It was the timing I'm questioning. A top 20 protected offer highly unlikely to convey this year (whether actually offered by the Jazz, or just hypothetically), may have let them to at least hold off until the deadline to see if they could get something better -- not that they would have rejected it in the end if that was the best offer. But if I had to guess, I'd say you're probably right that Lindsey had no interest in trading a first rounder.
Who knows what was actually offered or what they would have actually taken.

It was reported they offered Mirotic for Hood and we said no. So a pick might not have even needed to be included.

I am just really hopeful we have a bigger better trade coming soon. There are plenty of options.

I'm a huge fan of the idea of how Mirotic fits more than the reality of the actual player that Mirotic is. Truth is, his recent upswing has a lot to do with freedom in da bulls offense to sling as he wishes with no remorse or accountability, and it got him his ultimate wish...he'll be a Pelican for a bit. He didn't suddenly become James Harden.

Any news on his contract status? Team option just waiting until the offseason?

EDIT: Pelicans opted in, Mirotic is another 2019 free agent.

Pelicans also might sign Greg Monroe. I honestly think they might wind up a little better as opposed to Cousins.

Mirotic to NOLA does 3 things.

#1 - New Orleans has replaced Boogie with a good stretch 4 and probably Monroe. They are virtual playoff lock.
#2 - Takes away our most logical trade target even though we have 4 assets (Joe, Burks, Hood and Favors)
#3 - Rodney Hood and Tyreke Evans are now the best players publicly being shopped.

Aaron Gordon's streak is 40 games and he's 22 and he's starting and playing against starters unlike Mirotic. Mirotic is 27 in 1 week. It's much more reasonable to expect big jumps from players in their early 20s than of ones in their mid-late 20s. That's why I would say I'm more likely to buy into Gordon's improvement.

And, yes, I still would like to see Gordon over more extended period of time before I pronounce him the next big thing.

They are also very different type of prospect, which was reflected by where they were drafted.

uh you might want to check out Gordon's month by month. His shooting streak ain't anywhere near 40 games, he was unrealistically hot for maybe 3-4 weeks to begin the year and has tailed off dramatically each month.

uh you might want to check out Gordon's month by month. His shooting streak ain't anywhere near 40 games, he was unrealistically hot for maybe 3-4 weeks to begin the year and has tailed off dramatically each month.
That’s true, but I’d like to see how he can do with better coaching. Jazz coaching staff is really good at developing young players. I think he’d thrive tbh. Maybe not a perfect fit, but he could be special if he improves like he has the past two seasons.

That’s true, but I’d like to see how he can do with better coaching. Jazz coaching staff is really good at developing young players. I think he’d thrive tbh. Maybe not a perfect fit, but he could be special if he improves like he has the past two seasons.
mebbe but do you want to give him 20 mil ??