What's new

Nitrogen Death Penalty

Drug makers won't supply drugs to be used for lethal injections of humans. States have been trying to get creative to get their hands on the drugs and switching up the combo, but many executions have been delayed because they can't get the drugs they need. Idaho just passed a law that allows them to do a firing squad if lethal injection is not possible.

Nitrogen is used by people in assisted suicides, or semi-assisted suicides because it is easy to get, the apparatus to administer it is easy to make with common household items and it is relatively quick and painless.

I suspect the recently executed person was trying to hold their breath or otherwise resist the execution, that's why they were struggling. Not because the method was causing pain or trauma. I would have expected them to sedate the person first, not sure if that happened or not.
Interesting

Drug makers won't supply drugs to be used for lethal injections of humans. States have been trying to get creative to get their hands on the drugs and switching up the combo, but many executions have been delayed because they can't get the drugs they need. Idaho just passed a law that allows them to do a firing squad if lethal injection is not possible.

Nitrogen is used by people in assisted suicides, or semi-assisted suicides because it is easy to get, the apparatus to administer it is easy to make with common household items and it is relatively quick and painless.

I suspect the recently executed person was trying to hold their breath or otherwise resist the execution, that's why they were struggling. Not because the method was causing pain or trauma. I would have expected them to sedate the person first, not sure if that happened or not.
They did not sedate, which was really odd.

Idaho was jealous that Utah still had the firing squad option and they did not. Copycats.

They did not sedate, which was really odd.

Idaho was jealous that Utah still had the firing squad option and they did not. Copycats.
In voluntary euthanasia (just looked up the term) the person takes sedatives first. But I think they have to be able to carry out all the steps so I'm not 100% sure how it works. I listened to something about it maybe about a year ago and I can't remember the details.

I can't imagine why they wouldn't fully sedate the person before administering the nitrogen.

In voluntary euthanasia (just looked up the term) the person takes sedatives first. But I think they have to be able to carry out all the steps so I'm not 100% sure how it works. I listened to something about it maybe about a year ago and I can't remember the details.

I can't imagine why they wouldn't fully sedate the person before administering the nitrogen.
I can't imagine not fully sedating myself before watching the Jazz games of late.

Totally get all the arguments here. I'm a vindictive person so If my wife or kids were beaten with a fireplace club, a galvanized pipe, and a walking cane for 20+ minutes and then stabbed upwards of 10 times with a 6 inch survival knife until they eventually bled out after several hours, i don't think i'd blink an eye about the ****er writhing in restraints for 90 seconds.

As somebody dealing with animal euthanasia on regular basis I am surprised that lethal injections in death penalty are so unsuccessful. 99.9% of euthanasia procedures we do in animals are quick and painless. We place IV catheter ( so that is where only source of pain comes) and then sedate them where they do not feel anything before giving final injection of pentobarbital. Never see any animal struggle with that, not sure why humans would be different.
Most animals don't know they are going to die.

Not surprising from one of the moral poverty franchises on Earth. For outsider, it looks like the states have too much independence in the USA.

Took a tumble down the basement stairs. Cracked a few vertebrae. I'm on track for a full recovery.
That sucks.
I'm glad to hear you are going to be ok though

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Pentobarbital is used in a lot of lethal injections, supplanting sodium thiopental in many states due to shortages.
Sodium thiopental is way worse and we are not using it for animal euthanasia for at least 20-25 years.... I can't believe they would still use that in humans.