What's new

NON-JAZZ NBA PLAYOFF thread

I guess I love our guys. Bogey has been a good defender in the playoffs in the past and did decent on Kawhi for stretches. He is capable of dropping 50 pts in a game. Our guys are by far better 3 pt shooters. I would take CP3 over Conley, but he is even more guaranteed to miss time at playoffs. JC is highly explosive. I feel like we simply weren't as motivated which likely goes at the coaches feet. For me our play even against the grizzlies just never got close to the apex for any sustained period of time while our opponents were consistently punching above their weight class. Joe has been PGs daddy in the past and was entirely a non factor. Favs is an excellent backup and couldn't show much, Niang took a big step this year and lost it in the playoffs. How do you know he was going to be different than any of the young Suns players with no meaningful playoff impact. With our struggles, would we not have tried Ersan? Why else did we sign him.

I'm not buying the suns have tons more talent. I'm seeing tons more desire.

That would be unfortunate. But maybe it’s time for us to tank for a few years and hope that we can rebuild like Phx and give it another go here in 2-3 years?
No lol, way to risky. We are a piece away.. hell you take away the injuries and we are in the WCF right now with a 50/50 chance of winning the entire thing.

I guess I love our guys. Bogey has been a good defender in the playoffs in the past and did decent on Kawhi for stretches. He is capable of dropping 50 pts in a game. Our guys are by far better 3 pt shooters. I would take CP3 over Conley, but he is even more guaranteed to miss time at playoffs. JC is highly explosive. I feel like we simply weren't as motivated which likely goes at the coaches feet. For me our play even against the grizzlies just never got close to the apex for any sustained period of time while our opponents were consistently punching above their weight class. Joe has been PGs daddy in the past and was entirely a non factor. Favs is an excellent backup and couldn't show much, Niang took a big step this year and lost it in the playoffs. How do you know he was going to be different than any of the young Suns players with no meaningful playoff impact. With our struggles, would we not have tried Ersan? Why else did we sign him.

I'm not buying the suns have tons more talent. I'm seeing tons more desire.
Niang (and sadly Ingles now) not being effective in the playoffs was predictable imo. We saw our team struggle against aggressive, elite perimeter defenses all year. I didn't predict Favors to be completely worthless however. Thought he would've made more of an impact

And if we lose Conley for nothing in the summer, any GM would have his job on the line. Would be a huge surprise if DL/Zanik aren't let go this offseason.
Prepare to be surprised. I agree they should be fired, but believe they already would have been fired if they were going to get fired. They are already balls deep in draft prep at the Combine in Chicago. We would want our new GM there now if it was gonna happen.

Prepare to be surprised. I agree they should be fired, but believe they already would have been fired if they were going to get fired. They are already balls deep in draft prep at the Combine in Chicago. We would want our new GM there now if it was gonna happen.
There have been talks held behind closed door according to Tony Jones latest podcast. Battier, Danny Ainge amongst names mentioned.

You just signed your best players to max contracts. Now is the time to compete. We just need to adjust some pieces and run it back.
I’m sorry but I just don’t see it. I’m watching these playoffs and am blown away at the talent, shooting, length, and athleticism of our opponents. If we had played Phx, we’d be getting destroyed by them. Payne and Booker would be blowing past their defenders, collapsing our defense, which would result in endless Ayton dunks or wide open 3s. Like… it would be getting ugly.

IMO, we should retool this offseason by trading Bogey for some defense. If we don’t win it all next year, we should trade Rudy and try to get younger around Don. If all of that doesn’t work, we will be in rebuild mode very soon.

I’m sorry but I just don’t see it. I’m watching these playoffs and am blown away at the talent, shooting, length, and athleticism of our opponents. If we had played Phx, we’d be getting destroyed by them. Payne and Booker would be blowing past their defenders, collapsing our defense, which would result in endless Ayton dunks or wide open 3s. Like… it would be getting ugly.
In two or three seasons I would agree. Aside from CP3, they have a very young core that is only to get better over time. Booker, Ayton, Bridges, Johnson. Same cannot be said about Bogey/Favs/Jingles. Even Rudy,JC and Royce are like 28 or 29. Won't expect much improvement coming out of them. This year was supposed to be our year. It just didnt happen. And now it's all down hill from here.

In two or three seasons I would agree. Aside from CP3, they have a very young core that is only to get better over time. Booker, Ayton, Bridges, Johnson. Same cannot be said about Bogey/Favs/Jingles. Even Rudy,JC and Royce are like 28 or 29. Won't expect much improvement coming out of them. This year was supposed to be our year. It just didnt happen. And now it's all down hill from here.
We honestly weren’t even close either. The Clippers and Suns were better. A healthy Lakers and Nets were better than us too. And I honestly don’t see us getting past the 76ers.

We honestly weren’t even close either. The Clippers and Suns were better. A healthy Lakers and Nets were better than us too. And I honestly don’t see us getting past the 76ers.
The Suns catch and pass us in a full 82 game season. Clips might too the way we were trending at the end of the year.

We may have been the third seed in the West over a full 82 game season.

Everything parted like the Red Sea for us this season, and we got snakebitten with injuries and roster construction errors came home to roost.

Even with all that, this was the best chance this core had. Ingles, Bogey, and Fav will only get a step slower, Conley’s injury issues will only become more of a problem, Royce is in his prime now and has likely peaked as a player, Rudy is in his prime now and has likely peaked as a player, Clarkson is in his prime now and has likely peaked as a player. Niang has likely developed as far as his physical limitations can take him.

Donovan is the only rotation player we have whose best basketball is in front of him. The only player currently on the bench who I have any hope of turning into a rotation-level NBA player is Doke.

Everything else is just a bunch of cruddy developmental guys that might be end of rotation material in a few more years of development. These bench guys are like 20 yr certificates of deposit at .00001% interest rate.

Last edited:
That was a helluva game. I wish we were playing the suns. I think we would beat them

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Cam Payne, a player utah coulda had for pennies off the scrap heap years back, scores 29pts 9 ast 2stl 2blocks the Suns are on a 9 game win streak in the playoffs...

Weird. Terrance KD Mann has yet to score 40 pts in a game yet. Inconceivable!

What I don’t understand is how the Suns havent let the Clippers score 40+ in a quarter and 80+ in a half…

That was a helluva game. I wish we were playing the suns. I think we would beat them

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app
The Suns have something that almost no other NBA team has - 4 or 5 legit athletic wings to throw at the other team on defense.

Also not really talked about - their bench has been oddly underrated by the media. James Jones deserves a lot of credit for getting Torrey Craig for cash from Milwaukee at the trade deadline.

Payne, Johnson. Craig, Saric is a very solid bench, and they had Abdel Nader who was playing well for them as well before he went down with a knee injury earlier in the season.

Phoenix's offense that Monty implemented, even without CP3, is nowhere near as reliant on 3s compared to most "modern" NBA offenses. All of their players are smart, are capable of handling the ball, and understand how to move off-ball to generate good looks.

I underestimated them severely. The only thing that has stopped Phoenix in the postseason offensively, has been absolute junk, garbage physical defenses that the Lakers played, and then the Clippers played last night that borderline on dirty/non-basketball plays.

They are in their first playoffs ever for most of their core, and just went up 2-0 without their most important player!! That is absolutely impressive.