What's new

Not to beat the dead horse but...

I think fundamentally the league has passed Favors by too... he's the new tweener imo... not big enough to cause havoc on defense... not nimble enough to chase around the draymond green types... and really doesn't hurt you much to have a smaller guy on him. He needs to function as a center roll man on offense.

It's stuff like this that makes me absolutely convinced fans have no memory of a healthy Favors. Healthy Favors is a beast and last year people were making similar comments about Rudy Gobert not fitting with today's NBA. Just no.

If Favors was who he could be the Jazz would have been a top 3 NBA team this year.
He has been injured not by fluke things but by injuries usually had by older players.
The way he runs makes him look like he's 40. His back. Knees. And his ankles all look like they hurt.
Last year he missed 2 months with the case of a bad mattress.
He came into this pre season hurt. Keeps getting worse. He might be closer to retirement then anyone thought.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

It's stuff like this that makes me absolutely convinced fans have no memory of a healthy Favors. Healthy Favors is a beast and last year people were making similar comments about Rudy Gobert not fitting with today's NBA. Just no.

Favors has never protected the rim like Gobert does... like ever. I don't remember anyone saying that the game had passed Rudy... some straw man **** right there. Even when healthy he's just not the defensive anchor and it's not close. He can do some good things for sure but switching out on wings can also be done by big power wings.

Favs and Rudy have never been able to stay on the court long enough to prove it works. It's clear it hurts us on offense... there are matchups where you can't play them together on defense too. It is not a good fit... a healthy favors is better than diaw and Lyles but I don't see it as better than JJ at the four.

He's limited in the post... if he or Rudy could punish people like Gasol/Randolph or Aldridge/Gasol... then it might work out. Neither guy can and neither guy stretches the floor.

So yeah I don't think it fits great. Haven't forgotten how good he was at all. The fact that he's not ever healthy makes it all the worse.

If Favors was who he could be the Jazz would have been a top 3 NBA team this year.
He has been injured not by fluke things but by injuries usually had by older players.
The way he runs makes him look like he's 40. His back. Knees. And his ankles all look like they hurt.
Last year he missed 2 months with the case of a bad mattress.
He came into this pre season hurt. Keeps getting worse. He might be closer to retirement then anyone thought.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Personally I'd rather have it be an injury that required surgery... you know the problem and fix... these issues are weird and might be correctable but it's clear our staff doesn't have the answers.

That whole mattress thing was weird, it added to the mystery of Mr Favors.

I don't remember a Favors mattress thing, I thought the giant mattress (if that's what you're talking about) was Big Al?

Also, it's pretty weird that he's having injuries that aren't severe, but are definitely affecting him. He's pretty much been hurt the last year and a half, but not seriously enough to ever have surgery.

I don't remember a Favors mattress thing, I thought the giant mattress (if that's what you're talking about) was Big Al?

Also, it's pretty weird that he's having injuries that aren't severe, but are definitely affecting him. He's pretty much been hurt the last year and a half, but not seriously enough to ever have surgery.

Fox News
Feb 1, 2016

Utah’s Derrick Favors was sidelined for 16 games in December and January due to back spasms, but his explanation for the injury may surprise you.

Derrick Favors thinks his back injury was a result of a soft mattress and sleeping on his stomach. He's working to fix both.

FWIW, I dislocated my knee and got a bone bruise a few years ago playing ball. Could hardly jump off my left leg for six months, which included a lot of PT and rest. Structurally, I wasn't risking damaging anything by playing ball, but I did sparingly to get better. I did start getting a ton of right knee pain from favoring my bruised knee. So he may just need time. I do think he is a very valuable piece of this team. If they trade him, do it after he is healthy when we can get a good return.

Okay, but when was the last time he was 100% healthy (hint: it's at least a few years)?

c5d3da16479100b9.jpg

I don't know wtf happened, but he played with zero lift in every game this season, has himself stated that he feels like he's playing on one leg, hasn't defended as well as usual, hasn't finished as well, *and* his jumpshot has been off.

The only silver lining has been the offensive emergence of Rudy. This really is a nightmare situation, because Derrick provides such a wrinkle of versatility for this squad. He's the key to a matchup with the Clippers or the Spurs. Each series is a toss-up without him.

If we matched up with the Rockets, JJ would have held down the fort at the 4 with ease. As it stands, it might be Gordon who has to guard Blake.

Jingles. You see him n Hay shutting down Kawhi for half a game?

FWIW, I dislocated my knee and got a bone bruise a few years ago playing ball. Could hardly jump off my left leg for six months, which included a lot of PT and rest. Structurally, I wasn't risking damaging anything by playing ball, but I did sparingly to get better. I did start getting a ton of right knee pain from favoring my bruised knee. So he may just need time. I do think he is a very valuable piece of this team. If they trade him, do it after he is healthy when we can get a good return.

If it was just the bone bruise it would be fine... it's the IT band syndrome (to start the damn season) and the back issues last year plus the bone bruise. Just seem to be structure issues.

These questions will hang over him until at least 30ish games into next season. 50ish games later, he'll be a free agent. What kind of haul are we waiting for?

If they are expecting him to play in the playoffs, I would imagine he would need a couple of games to re adjust. Idk why he hasn't played by now if they are planning on him playing then

Sent from my SM-N915V using JazzFanz mobile app

Favors has never protected the rim like Gobert does... like ever. I don't remember anyone saying that the game had passed Rudy... some straw man **** right there. Even when healthy he's just not the defensive anchor and it's not close. He can do some good things for sure but switching out on wings can also be done by big power wings.

Favs and Rudy have never been able to stay on the court long enough to prove it works. It's clear it hurts us on offense... there are matchups where you can't play them together on defense too. It is not a good fit... a healthy favors is better than diaw and Lyles but I don't see it as better than JJ at the four.

He's limited in the post... if he or Rudy could punish people like Gasol/Randolph or Aldridge/Gasol... then it might work out. Neither guy can and neither guy stretches the floor.

So yeah I don't think it fits great. Haven't forgotten how good he was at all. The fact that he's not ever healthy makes it all the worse.

Yeah, you're full of ****. I'll track down some of the quotes about Rudy later, as I've posted them before. Strawman my ***. During the stretch after the Kanter trade Favors was #3 in the league in rim protection with Rudy being number 1. And yeah, it worked really ****ing well even with Gobert and Exum being extremely limited offensively they were one of the best teams in the league for half a season. Too bad you and a bunch of others blew that off as if it was just a handful of games.

So yeah, your entire post is wrong, and like I said, you either didn't watch games while Favors was healthy, or your memory is fried.

Edit: For those posters with limited memory capacity, there was a time when there was a legitimate argument for Favors being the best player on the team ahead of Hayward. Yeah, that happened and he was a borderline all-star. Can't even believe how badly he gets disrespected with some of the misinformation around here.

Yeah, you're full of ****. I'll track down some of the quotes about Rudy later, as I've posted them before. Strawman my ***. During the stretch after the Kanter trade Favors was #3 in the league in rim protection with Rudy being number 1. And yeah, it worked really ****ing well even with Gobert and Exum being extremely limited offensively they were one of the best teams in the league for half a season. Too bad you and a bunch of others blew that off as if it was just a handful of games.

So yeah, your entire post is wrong, and like I said, you either didn't watch games while Favors was healthy, or your memory is fried.

Favors was a good rim protector when healthy and he was also our defensive leader before this season. Rudy has always been a better rim protector but that does not mean Favors was bad at it. Favors when he was healthy was also better at a lot of other things on defense than Gobert. Maybe some of those have changed but some might not have. We will have to wait to see where Favors is at when healthy again.

People forget that Favors was a borderline all-star and very easily could have been one last year if we had a better record(if we had Exum and Hill we would have.) Favors also supposedly had one of the more productive off seasons coming into this season by all reports and was looking to make another jump. He has improved every year until this year was derailed by injuries. When healthy I believe he will have improved over what we saw from him last year.