What's new

Notes from the bench.

beantastic

Contributor
I had a unique experience last night and was able to sit two rows behind the jazz bench.

It was awesome being able to sit and listen to Coach Q talk to the guys.

He was continually calling guys out by name and constantly coaching.

Here are a few words of wisdom from the coach.

"Exum did you see that?"

"Our advantage offensively is Favors at the 4"

"#&$@"

"They supposed to have the ball?" (Start of 4th quarter)

He commented to a player or a coach after almost every offensive or defensive possession. You can just tell his brain runs different than a normal person he seems to run at 150% all the time.

f70f3b1e6cce43b2dc826dd756f612b6.jpg

31533a1cd4ef2edc3a7a14754baccac9.jpg

So I have questions....

When he was calling out guys how did they respond? Roll their eyes, turn away? Look up, face him?

Is he cheerleader or a critic? Did he change methods with different players or situations?

Did he ever yell at the officials? Or the other team?

Who is the players coach on the bench? Is there a Phil Johnson to Quins Jerry Sloan?

Were there players who have checked themselves out? Is everyone engaged?

When he was calling out guys how did they respond? Roll their eyes, turn away? Look up, face him?

When he called guys out by name they seemed to respond it was generally telling them to remember something that just happened. I could not see their faces so not sure exactly what their faces looked like.

Is he cheerleader or a critic? Did he change methods with different players or situations?

A little of both but he let guys know when they made mistakes like driving when there was an open kick out in the corner, and praised a steal or block. He didn't seem to pick on any players or overly praise anyone either.

Did he ever yell at the officials? Or the other team?

I saw him talking to the officials and being pretty animated but he was not yelling enough for me to hear. I don't recall him yelling at opposing players.

Who is the players coach on the bench? Is there a Phil Johnson to Quins Jerry Sloan?

I didn't notice a "players coach" however I did see why Joe is playing so much. He talked a lot on the floor and was helping to direct guys around.

Were there players who have checked themselves out? Is everyone engaged?

None of the players looked checked out. Jeremy Evans looked a little down to me, but even guys like Novak were talking to the young guys and were attentive.

Thanks for posting your impressions. I'm interested about Dante's demeanor? How was he acting around his teammates? Does he seem comfortable and confident? Does he talk and instruct his teammates both on the floor and while on the bench?

Thanks for posting your impressions. I'm interested about Dante's demeanor? How was he acting around his teammates? Does he seem comfortable and confident? Does he talk and instruct his teammates both on the floor and while on the bench?

He seemed fine, and it did not seem to get him down that he was shooting poorly from outside. He also seemed to be talking to guys on the bench I could not actually hear what they were saying though.

I didn't notice a "players coach" however I did see why Joe is playing so much. He talked a lot on the floor and was helping to direct guys around.

FYI players coach is the word for a coach who implements modern principles of motivation and positivity other than being authritarian, using threats and anger for players perform in fear of their role like old school coaches did.

So he really wanted to know if there's an assistant on the bench who has this positive relationship with the guys.

FYI players coach is the word for a coach who implements modern principles of motivation and positivity other than being authritarian, using threats and anger for players perform in fear of their role like old school coaches did.

So he really wanted to know if there's an assistant on the bench who has this positive relationship with the guys.

I knew exactly what he meant. I guess I worded my answer poorly.

I should have said no I don't see a coach of the players. However I did notice that Joe is taking up a floor coaching position within this team.

He also seemed to be talking to guys on the bench I could not actually hear what they were saying though.

I see QS doing that from time to time - love it. The first NBA Coach that I saw doing that (although I'm sure not the first) was Hubie Brown with the Knicks. I remember my dad got seats near the Knicks bench and Brown would frequently turn his back to the court and explain to the players why something worked, why something didn't work and why they were doing what they were doing. Fortunately this was before the days when NBA teams felt to need to fill the arena with blaring music and artificial noise - so I could hear most of what he was saying.

I see QS doing that from time to time - love it. The first NBA Coach that I saw doing that (although I'm sure not the first) was Hubie Brown with the Knicks. I remember my dad got seats near the Knicks bench and Brown would frequently turn his back to the court and explain to the players why something worked, why something didn't work and why they were doing what they were doing. Fortunately this was before the days when NBA teams felt to need to fill the arena with blaring music and artificial noise - so I could hear most of what he was saying.

The noise made it very difficult to hear most of what was being said and there was only 1 row between me and the bench. I was on the aisle though so I was further away from Coach Q

How did you get such awesome seats? The best seats I've ever had were 9th row that a friend was given by relatives. It was awesome, but it kind of ruins ya for the cheap seats after that. I'm completely jealous of anyone with a hookup were they can get good seats from time to time.

How did you get such awesome seats? The best seats I've ever had were 9th row that a friend was given by relatives. It was awesome, but it kind of ruins ya for the cheap seats after that. I'm completely jealous of anyone with a hookup were they can get good seats from time to time.
This.
Best I ever had was row 13 and they were fantastic.

The best seats I've ever had was sitting among the players' families. The seats aren't really that great, kind of kiddy corner from the Jazz bench so you're right on the corner of the floor about 15-20 rows up. Seriously thinking about saving up big time for floor seats to a game.

Seriously thinking about saving up big time for floor seats to a game.

I think for my birthday this year I'm going to tell everyone in my family to give me money (I figure 20 bucks from each of my brothers and sisters, plus maybe 100 from my parents, and maybe another 100 from friends gets me to around 300 dollars), and then cash in my coins (another couple hundred dollars) and then use a few hundred of my own money. I think the seats I want are about 800 dollars.

On second thought, I will wait until next year since Burks is hurt.
Definitely one of my bucket list items (so is getting season tickets one year)

I think for my birthday this year I'm going to tell everyone in my family to give me money (I figure 20 bucks from each of my brothers and sisters, plus maybe 100 from my parents, and maybe another 100 from friends gets me to around 300 dollars), and then cash in my coins (another couple hundred dollars) and then use a few hundred of my own money. I think the seats I want are about 800 dollars.

On second thought, I will wait until next year since Burks is hurt.
Definitely one of my bucket list items (so is getting season tickets one year)

A few weeks after 9/11 I was still feeling a little down so I went nuts and bought floor seats to a Nets-Jazz game at the Meadowlands. For the life of me I can't remember how much I spent (LOL -I think I've mentally blocked the amount) but it was a ridiculous amount for a guy in his 20's. Really an amazing experience though (BTW, this was the game where Kenyon Martin submarined Karl Malone)

Last edited:
A few weeks after 9/11 I was still feeling a little down so I went nuts and bought floor seats to a Nets-Jazz game at the Meadowlands. For the life of me I can't remember how much I spent (LOL -I think I've mentally blocked the amount) but it was a ridiculous amount for a guy in his 20's. Really an amazing experience though (BTW, this was the game where Kenyon Martin submarined Karl Malone)

Had floor seats for Nets-Jazz about six years ago. I think there was about two rows of chairs and then MsSerp and I were in the first row of immovable seats right behind them. AWESOME EXPERIENCE. Especially since it was free through her work.