What's new

Game Thread Nov 02, 2023 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Magic

Added to Calendar: 11-02-23

Do you think its common for a coach to bring a rookie off the bench for the game winning shot who has never been in that situation before? I think this is just one of those times where you are just arguing to argue and dont really believe what you are arguing.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
I think Keyonte has one of the best looking shooting strikes on the team and if he was brought in for that situation coach must think he can play in that situation

I think Keyonte has one of the best looking shooting strikes on the team and if he was brought in for that situation coach must think he can play in that situation
I agree with that.

Huh? Banchero went straight past Collins and scored. Nobody else was involved. That was some terrible 1-on-1 defense by John. You do not give a free layup in that situation.
Lauri put a hand up but it was a half assed contest. Olynyk was also right by the rim but chose to box his guy out instead of contesting even though he was in the best position to. I guess watching it more Collins actually played it pretty well and stayed in front of him and got up and contested it forcing him to go high off the back board and caught the rim to go in. But, If Kessler is in over Olynyk its much better defended. It was decent defense from John, just better offense. Banchero didn't drive past him. Clarkson also took a half *** step in swipe at the ball. The help defense needs to slide over when its ISO with their leading scorer and force him to kick it to someone who isn't playing as well. But again you need your best paint defender in the game for that and your best rebounder if they miss. Olynyk can go back in next possession on offense.

He didn't log those 21 extra minutes over Sexton and Keyonte in the 4th alone. Closing lineup is one thing and there I would play Clarkson if no one else is clearly hot (while he is cold), but this game never should have been close. Clarksons play and the refs giving Magic 36 FT on touch fouls in a rather clean game were the two main reasons why we didn't run away earlier.

Why would you play any guard 37 minutes on a B2B, let alone someone who is struggling all game, unless he actually is a star or superstar level guy?
Yes that was a head scratcher, no doubt about it.

Lauri put a hand up but it was a half assed contest. Olynyk was also right by the rim but chose to box his guy out instead of contesting even though he was in the best position to. I guess watching it more Collins actually played it pretty well and stayed in front of him and got up and contested it forcing him to go high off the back board and caught the rim to go in. But, If Kessler is in over Olynyk its much better defended. It was decent defense from John, just better offense. Banchero didn't drive past him. Clarkson also took a half *** step in swipe at the ball. The help defense needs to slide over when its ISO with their leading scorer and force him to kick it to someone who isn't playing as well. But again you need your best paint defender in the game for that and your best rebounder if they miss. Olynyk can go back in next possession on offense.
It was a ****ing incredible move by Banchero.

Walker has been cheeks and a half. The dude has confidence issues. I don't trust him to do anything currently. He could hardly catch passes or finish the last two games.

If I’m going to redo that 19 second defense I would put Kessler in for KO and put lauri on banchero. But then I’m just a keyboard coach so what do I know

Nah. I think most nba players are good at making wide ooen threes. Hell, im good at making wide open threes. Nba players are way way better shooters than me.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
True enough! However most of the NBA is not shooting over 50% from three, even when wide open, which was the point I was responding to.

It was a ****ing incredible move by Banchero.

Walker has been cheeks and a half. The dude has confidence issues. I don't trust him to do anything currently. He could hardly catch passes or finish the last two games.
It was a great move. I wouldnt put Kessler in on offense at the end. On defense he will be better than KO pretty much every time.

Huh? Banchero went straight past Collins and scored. Nobody else was involved. That was some terrible 1-on-1 defense by John. You do not give a free layup in that situation.
I'm not always sure whether you lie to push your narratives or just miss basic stuff. It wasnt great defense but he forced Paolo to his weaker left hand and also to drive towards our other bigs. Also held good enough position so that Paolo had to both angle away from the basket and throw it high off the glass.

Point being it was a low% shot and Paolo was just super clutch with it. His lefty layups are 42% shot last year and he only goes to the left 13% of the time.

Also nobody else was involved because Lauri was too far (at least tried though) and KO just spectated the whole sequence including the potential rebound.

KO at the start of that play (notice position, with 1 leg barely outside of paint):
1699020790371.png

KO still spectates at the same spot when Paolo is finishing (Lauri at least tried to come help):
1699021713528.png

KO spectating still after the shot (his guy just casually passing him for the potential rebound):
1699021043663.png

Attachments

• 1699020824269.png
    1699020824269.png
    930.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 1699020926444.png
    1699020926444.png
    1 MB · Views: 6
  • 1699021241802.png
    1699021241802.png
    631.2 KB · Views: 8
(Lots and lots of stuff)

What a truly bizarre attempt to overcomplicate things.

Look, I know Collins is your boy. I know it hurts. But this time he straight up got abused. The Magic spread the floor for Banchero and it was mano a mano from there. In that situation you do whatever it takes to stop a guy from getting a layup. You live with a 3, you live with a pull-up, you take a hard foul if necessary. But above all, you stay between your man and the basket. If you can't do that, you shouldn't be there. Banchero didn't even need a screener. He got Collins on his hip and it was over. Sure he made a tough lefty shot, but the Magic will take that one 10 times out of 10 instead of some tough fadeaway jumper or rushed heave from the perimeter.

The Jazz were not going to gelp off any of the other players and that was the right choice. Sometimes it really is that simple – either you stay in front of your guy or don't. Collins is not a good defender and the Magic knew it. No need to scapegoat anyone else.

Last edited:
I sometimes question Collins' effort. Then I think maybe he's just a vet conserving a little energy early in the season. Which is it?

What a truly bizarre attempt to overcomplicate things.

Look, I know Collins is your boy. I know it hurts. But this time he messed up. The Magic spread the floor for Banchero and it was mano a mano from there. In that situation you do whatever it takes to stop a guy from getting a layup. You live with a 3, you live with a pull-up, you take a hard foul if necessary. But above all, you stay between your man and the basket. If you can't do that, you shouldn't be there. Banchero didn't even need a screener.

The Jazz were not going to gelp off any of the other players and that was the right choice. Sometimes it really is that simple – either you stay in front of your guy or don't. Collins is not a good defender and the Magic knew it. No need to scapegoat anyone else.
I'm not claiming great or even good defense on that play. I'm just exposing your takes.

Also the fact that you ignored Collins forcing Paolo to his weaker hand twice now tells me you either have an agenda or lack some basic basketball understanding.

Last edited:
Oh how you were missed. Nice to have you back. Ok brother now go take your seat at the kids table with the others that dont know ball.
Fish you couldn't even run up and down a NBA court twice much less hit a shot at the end of a game on a b2b. Just such a ludicrous thing to think you, a middle overaged overweight dude could make shots in the NBA if you were open.

Fish you couldn't even run up and down a NBA court twice much less hit a shot at the end of a game on a b2b. Just such a ludicrous thing to think you, a middle overaged overweight dude could make shots in the NBA if you were open.
You are super soft that you get so riled up so easy and resort to insults on the regular. Poor fella. As for you comment, you are putting words in my mouth. All I said is I think that nba players are good at making wide open threes. Weird how that could be a controversial statement. But then again, you are back and back to form.
Also im 6 foot 3 and 200lbs even. Overweight? not really.