What's new

Game Thread Nov 02, 2023 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Magic

Added to Calendar: 11-02-23

Clarkson goes 5/20 with 6 turnovers and gets 37 minutes. He is obviously a superstar to Hardy with that type of leash.

Sexton instead goes to the doghouse immediately if he isnt feeling it. Clarkson has been our 4th best guard this year and I think he has more stinkers than decent-or-better games.
You make a valid point based on this season alone - last game he did find some magic though. Still, Hardy knows what kind of closer he is. Sexton hasn’t shown enough to be a closer yet imo. And to be fair, Clarkson was pretty solid in crunch time.

He was really out of sorts tonight which may or may not have had something to do with Ingles and his antics. I used to like the guy (Ingles) but no more, not after what I saw.

Clarkson goes 5/20 with 6 turnovers and gets 37 minutes. He is obviously a superstar to Hardy with that type of leash.

Sexton instead goes to the doghouse immediately if he isnt feeling it. Clarkson has been our 4th best guard this year and I think he has more stinkers than decent-or-better games.
because he’s still clutch. Sometimes I just want to sit clarkson and just put him in at crunch time.

You make a valid point based on this season alone - last game he did find some magic though. Still, Hardy knows what kind of closer he is. Sexton hasn’t shown enough to be a closer yet imo. And to be fair, Clarkson was pretty solid in crunch time.

He was really out of sorts tonight which may or may not have had something to do with Ingles and his antics. I used to like the guy (Ingles) but no more, not after what I saw.
He didn't log those 21 extra minutes over Sexton and Keyonte in the 4th alone. Closing lineup is one thing and there I would play Clarkson if no one else is clearly hot (while he is cold), but this game never should have been close. Clarksons play and the refs giving Magic 36 FT on touch fouls in a rather clean game were the two main reasons why we didn't run away earlier.

Why would you play any guard 37 minutes on a B2B, let alone someone who is struggling all game, unless he actually is a star or superstar level guy?

Clarkson and Sexton both sucked bad this game. This was frustrating to watch though. They were just super physical and getting a of calls. It got most of our team worked up.

Lauri was okay but struggled a bit after the fall, which I dont blame him. Collins had a great game along with yurtseven.

Dunn actually played well in his limited minutes besides missing an easy one at the rim. But his defense and passing were solid.

Kessler had his ups and downs that game pretty extreme.

Banchero is apparently a superstar now with those calls getting to the line at will. This game basically was even except one team got a lot more FTs. It does make it hard for refs when you basically foul non stop like Magic were most of the game.

Either way this is a game you need to win. We had so many bad possessions even at the end. The really ugly turnovers unforced are really hard to watch.

There’s a lineup that worked in the 3rd. Lauri, yurt7, sexton, Simone and keyonte. They played 4 mins cut the lead from 8 to 1. Wondering why Hardy didn’t play that lineup longer.

I say before the season that TO will be one of our weak point. Was not obvious the last games but was pretty cleear tonight. JC, Sexton are TO prone. THT improve a lot right now. We still have a lot of job to do....

The play is run for everyone. There's multiple options, it's whoever gets open

You arent getting it. We had a rookie chillin on the bemch cold. He was brought in for the game winning shot with 1.3 seconds left. Thats an odd one. Would make more sense to pit clarkson in the spot that coach put keyonte in. Have KO throw that bad pass for clarkson rather than the rookie fresh off the bench who had never been in that situation before.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Actually that pass looked pretty good. I don't think Key was ready for KO's magic.

You arent getting it. We had a rookie chillin on the bemch cold. He was brought in for the game winning shot with 1.3 seconds left. Thats an odd one. Would make more sense to pit clarkson in the spot that coach put keyonte in. Have KO throw that bad pass for clarkson rather than the rookie fresh off the bench who had never been in that situation before.

Keyonte has the quickest shot on the team. These dudes are pros, they can shoot cold

Keyonte couldn't even run to the ball properly to get a shot off one play later

Ya. Weird that keyonte was the go to guy for that last shot.
I wonder if clarkson could have run to the ball properly and got a shot off

Chances are just about every player misses this shot more than they make it. It’s not like THT is absolutely hopeless on catch and shoot wide open threes.

Nah. I think most nba players are good at making wide ooen threes. Hell, im good at making wide open threes. Nba players are way way better shooters than me.

Rewatching the missed 3 by THT he really had enough time to drive it and try to score there was about 4 seconds left when he caught it. We were only down 1.

Ya but he was wide open. I have no problem with him shooting that and i think clarkson made the right play. Sucks that he missed though and sucks it wasnt a better shooter taking the shot. Oh well

Keyonte has the quickest shot on the team. These dudes are pros, they can shoot cold

Do you think its common for a coach to bring a rookie off the bench for the game winning shot who has never been in that situation before? I think this is just one of those times where you are just arguing to argue and dont really believe what you are arguing.

Lauri was feeling it at the end of the game.
I would have probably inbounded to him on that final play. Take advantage of his height (don't need a bounce pass) and have him catch and turn and shoot. I have seen him make a lot of tough shots over defenders who were all over him. He would definitely be defended tightly but I still like him taking a contested shot. If they guard him too tight then he can send us to overtime from the free throw line.
In the end it was a desperation shot with 1.3 seconds left so it probably wasn't going in no matter who was shooting it. Just seems weird to have a rookie come off the bench for the shot. And we saw the result. Maybe KO hasn't inbounded the ball to keynote in situations like that very often (probably never).

At least it shows how much Hardy trusts and likes keyonte I guess though and that's a good thing. Maybe just being in there on the last play will give him more confidence.
Tough loss

I'm pissed we lost this game.

Hardy should have benched Clarkson.

No clue why Dunn gets 5 measly minutes when he's the only guard who is a solid defender.

The only exciting thing was watching Collins hit threes. Hopefully he's getting over all the **** he went through last season in Atlanta.

Rewatching the end.

First when we took the lead with Lauri's shot you need to put Kessler back in on that possession. The drove straight into the paint and made a fairly easy layup over Lauri and Olynyk. It was out of a timeout and would go right into another timeout so you can pull him out. He is our best paint defender and rebounder. I would rather force them to kick it out to someone else for a 3 and risk the game that way than an easy layup.

2nd as usual the Jazz need to get the ball into Lauri's hands for the final 2 possessions. He wasnt guarded that tight the guys just didnt look for him much on the THT miss and didnt even set him up on the final one. He just made two big shots in a row, let him make a 3rd or try. But with that said the final shot wasnt that bad of a shot and THT barely missed a little long. But he had two guys closing out fast and could have pumped faked and drove in setting up and easy pass or maybe shot inside. The final inbounds play should be Lauri.

But mostly it was a miracle we were even in the game for the final shot with how badly Clarkson was especially that 4th quarter towards the end. Missed shots and turnovers left and right. I think he will turn it around but so far this season he is shooting most of his shots in the 4th on his worst %s at 29%.

First when we took the lead with Lauri's shot you need to put Kessler back in on that possession. The drove straight into the paint and made a fairly easy layup over Lauri and Olynyk. It was out of a timeout and would go right into another timeout so you can pull him out. He is our best paint defender and rebounder. I would rather force them to kick it out to someone else for a 3 and risk the game that way than an easy layup.

Huh? Banchero went straight past Collins and scored. Nobody else was involved. That was some terrible 1-on-1 defense by John. You do not give a free layup in that situation.