What's new

Game Thread Nov 06, 2023 06:00PM MT: Jazz at Bulls

Added to Calendar: 11-06-23

If JC struggles and gets 30+ minutes again I'm gonna start pondering if Hardy is the puppet master or a puppet. We know Ryan loves JC, but that shouldnt matter for minute distributions.

When Hardy said its "hunger games" I didnt realize he meant Katniss Everdeen (Lauri? Will himself?) carrying struggling scrubs through all the challenges.

Last edited:
If JC struggles and gets 30+ minutes again I'm gonna start pondering if Hardy is the puppet master or a puppet. We know Ryan loves JC, but that shouldnt matter for minute distributions.

When Hardy said its "hunger games" I didnt realize he meant Katniss Everdeen (Lauri? Will himself?) carrying struggling scrubs through all the challenges.
Do people really think JC is going to get benched? For whom????

He's a vet who has proven himself. They get multiple chances. I don't get why people have such a hard time grasping that concept

Do people really think JC is going to get benched? For whom????

He's a vet who has proven himself. They get multiple chances. I don't get why people have such a hard time grasping that concept
None of what you said is correct.

JC was given the job last year for being the best option for 2 guard spot. But it was an evaluation year. No one ever declared him as our starter going forward.

Even before this years TC Hardy himself said its a competition for all. Hence "the hunger games". Hardy initially started Sexton/THT duo, before pivoting to JC/THT.

Time to pivot again if JC looks the same he has for 5/7 games this far.

Last edited:
None of what you said is correct.

JC was given the job last year for being the best option for 2 guard spot. But it was an evaluation year. No one ever declared him as our starter going forward.

Even before this years TC Hardy himself said its a competition for all. Hence "the hunger games". Hardy initially started Sexton/THT duo, before pivoting to JC/THT.

Time to pivot again if JC looks the same he has for 5/7 games this far.
Oh, I wasnt aware that JC isnt a 9 year vet averaging 16 ppg for his career. That's crazy. Basketballreference needs to fix their stats then.

I dont get how people are always so daft about these concepts.

Coaches are going to start the guys they think give them the best chance of winning.

Yes, Clarkson has struggled, but his entire career is kind of up/down hot/cold. Clarkson's peak play helps the Jazz win better than any other guard currently on the roster, that's why he starts. It's the same thing for THT/Collins/Walker/Lauri. These are the most talented players on the team who also have the requisite experience and past credentials to make them starters.

You dont pull the plug on the team after a 7 game slow start. It's going to be 20-ish games before any change is made. If after 20 games Clarkson is still having terrible games day in and day out, then maybe you make a change. Currently no one on the bench has played well enough to force Hardy's hand.

Oh, I wasnt aware that JC isnt a 9 year vet averaging 16 ppg for his career. That's crazy. Basketballreference needs to fix their stats then.
Yeah and Sexton has more career starts and 19 PPG. Whats your point?

Clarkson had only been a starter for tanking Lakers team before he got the nod last year. He started 6 total games between 2017-2022.

He is in no way entitled to be a hot mess.

I dont get how people are always so daft about these concepts.

Coaches are going to start the guys they think give them the best chance of winning.

Yes, Clarkson has struggled, but his entire career is kind of up/down hot/cold. Clarkson's peak play helps the Jazz win better than any other guard currently on the roster, that's why he starts. It's the same thing for THT/Collins/Walker/Lauri. These are the most talented players on the team who also have the requisite experience and past credentials to make them starters.

You dont pull the plug on the team after a 7 game slow start. It's going to be 20-ish games before any change is made. If after 20 games Clarkson is still having terrible games day in and day out, then maybe you make a change. Currently no one on the bench has played well enough to force Hardy's hand.
Clarkson 4 worst games (57% of all our games) this year in a nutshell:
54 FGA + 13 FTA for 42 total points, 2/20 from 3 and 16 turnovers. Only positive is 17 assists, which doesnt really compensate for the ugliness.

Oh and thats 4 out of our last 5. Only good game was the Grizzlies game where we probably win even if he had a stinker.

One of the stories in the news feed had our lineup data. None of our lineups have passed the threshold of having enough minutes to be predictive, but, they are informative on what has happened so far.

Our lineup with the most minutes is our starting lineup with 70+ minutes and is -19 points over that time so far. I think once we get in to the 150 minute territory for that lineup, and if it's still negative, then it's probably time to change it up.

Not surprisingly, to me at least, is player involved in most of our positive lineups is KO. We really need his ability to connect and space the floor.

Clarkson is starting because Hardy believes he’s the best compliment to Lauri out of all of our guards. I don’t think that is going to change after a couple of tough games.

Clarkson is starting because Hardy believes he’s the best compliment to Lauri out of all of our guards. I don’t think that is going to change after a couple of tough games.
Yeah Hardy spoke about their chemistry the other day... I just hope there is a leash somewhere for JC as well. The massive 38 and 34 minute shares dont make sense rn the way he is playing.

This is a loser leaves town match… I mean both teams are going to leave town but feels like two messy teams that are nearing an early pivot point.

One of the stories in the news feed had our lineup data. None of our lineups have passed the threshold of having enough minutes to be predictive, but, they are informative on what has happened so far.

Our lineup with the most minutes is our starting lineup with 70+ minutes and is -19 points over that time so far. I think once we get in to the 150 minute territory for that lineup, and if it's still negative, then it's probably time to change it up.

Not surprisingly, to me at least, is player involved in most of our positive lineups is KO. We really need his ability to connect and space the floor.
It’s almost like replacing one non shooter with a shooter that can pass is super helpful to playing winning basketball.

If they are serious about making the play in they will go get a pg. if they are more concerned with the draft they can let it ride I suppose. Your move FO.

It’s almost like replacing one non shooter with a shooter that can pass is super helpful to playing winning basketball.

If they are serious about making the play in they will go get a pg. if they are more concerned with the draft they can let it ride I suppose. Your move FO.
They arent going to be desperate to do anything.

Let it play out. If the team is winning, you can make a small move to help them. If htey keep losing, you can make trades. Doubt anything happens till everyone becomes trade eligible throughout the league.

They arent going to be desperate to do anything.

Let it play out. If the team is winning, you can make a small move to help them. If htey keep losing, you can make trades. Doubt anything happens till everyone becomes trade eligible throughout the league.
If they are serious about winning they will make a move. You are correct that is the next transaction window but getting too far behind would be a mistake. If they don’t try to do something (desperate or not) then they really aren’t serious about making the playoffs this year.

Next 4 are pretty important. All 4 very winnable… need at least a split… rest of the month is a bit rough.