What's new

Game Thread Nov 13, 2022 05:30PM MT: Jazz at 76ers

Added to Calendar: 11-13-22

It was such a head scratching move not to try Kessler on him in the 4th. It makes zero sense and is probably the dumbest coaching decision that I have ever seen. Even the worst coach in the world would have tried bigger players on Embiid in that situation.
That you have ever seen? So you started watching organized basketball just last Sunday, huh?

Just because he didn't go all out on an offensive lineup doesn't mean him foregoing playing Kessler doesn't make sense from an offensive view point.

Essentially they targeted Kessler when he was in. And you guys blame Hardy for not putting the rookie back to take more of that?

Embiid vs rookie sounds like a bad idea no matter who the rookie is.

PS. go watch last 3 minutes of 1st quarter (Kessler on Embiid minutes). After watching, does it feel like its a good idea to go back to that?

They ran iso with Embiid on every drive when Kessler was in. Embiid drove and shot at will on him. Only time Kessler stopped or slowed him was when he fouled him.

Kessler guarded Embiid for less than 3 minutes.

What an incrediblly large sample size.

Essentially they targeted Kessler when he was in. And you guys blame Hardy for not putting the rookie back to take more of that?

Embiid vs rookie sounds like a bad idea no matter who the rookie is.
Rookie or not, he's still an objectively dramatically better defender than Kelly Olynyk.

Morons who think rookies can't be impactful defensively must've been shocked when the Jazz turned the game around in Atlanta immediately after Kessler checked in.

Atlanta scored 32 points in the first 8 minutes of the 2nd half. Kessler checked in and then the Hawks scored 6 points in the following 8 minutes.

Rookie or not, he's still an objectively dramatically better defender than Kelly Olynyk.

Morons who think rookies can't be impactful defensively must've been shocked when the Jazz turned the game around in Atlanta immediately after Kessler checked in.

Atlanta scored 32 points in the first 8 minutes of the 2nd half. Kessler checked in and then the Hawks scored 6 points in the following 8 minutes.
Kessler doing what he does well in the Atlanta game vs defending a MVP candidate on an island is a different thing.

Kessler doing what he does well in the Atlanta game vs defending a MVP candidate on an island is a different thing.
Yeah, the Jazz were better off leaving the dudes who got torched at the rim in Atlanta on an island against an MVP instead of the guy who's been a fantastic rim defender all season long.

Seriously go watch those last 3 minutes. As soon as Kessler came in Embiid was literally the only player handled the ball on offense.

Hardy puts Kessler back, you think they wouldnt do it again?

Give me some argument that does not revolve around your subjective opinion, please.

Seriously go watch those last 3 minutes. As soon as Kessler came in Embiid was literally the only player handled the ball on offense.

Give me some argument that does not revolve around your subjective opinion, please.
Not sure if you watched the game or not, but Embiid scored 26 of Philly's 27 points in the 4th quarter. And Kessler was not in the game.

Philly's strategy wasn't "target Kessler", it was "Feed Embiid no matter who is on him". It shouldn't be controversial to consider the possibility that our best rim protector by a mile might be a better option against that strategy than notoriously bad rim protectors.

Maybe MT is right, but yeah, I don't think the strategy Hardy took was erroneous. The Jazz had been winning these types of games down the stretch with the lineups Hardy was playing.

Not sure if you watched the game or not, but Embiid scored 26 of Philly's 27 points in the 4th quarter. And Kessler was not in the game.

Philly's strategy wasn't "target Kessler", it was "Feed Embiid no matter who is on him". It shouldn't be controversial to consider the possibility that our best rim protector by a mile might be a better option against that strategy than notoriously bad rim protectors.
Yeah but my point was that Hardy had already seen that Kessler didnt fair any better against him. So better to have KO and Lauri on that sub either one for Kessler, at least gives us a better chance to offset him by outscoring them.

I also dont really understand why you called out Vando there. Vando and Kessler are not interchangable imo.

Yeah but my point was that Hardy had already seen that Kessler didnt fair any better against him.
For 3 minutes.
So better to have KO and Lauri on that sub either one for Kessler, at least gives us a better chance to offset him by outscoring them.

I also dont really understand why you called out Vando there. Vando and Kessler are not interchangable imo.
Yeah, Kessler is a much better rim protector.

Man they didnt even score at the rim in the 4th. We also won the boards by a landslide. Embiid beat us from midrange and FT line. How was Kessler gonna stop that?
Embiid shot 15 freethrows in the 4th quarter alone, because the Jazz go-to strategy whenever Embiid threaten to score at the rim was to foul him.

How was a great rim protector going to do a better job at stopping that than horrible ones? Is that the question?

Man they didnt even score at the rim in the 4th. We also won the boards by a landslide. Embiid beat us from midrange and FT line. How was Kessler gonna stop that?

We fouled him before he could get to the rim or fouled him at the rim.

Embiid was Dirk-like with his midrange fadeaways in this game. Totally unstoppable at his size. Period. That's such a rare shot for a center these days. As a defender, you have to be both HUGE yourself and right in his grill to bother that shot, and we all know you can't guard Embiid like that. He manufactures some bull*** contact, falls on his ***, rubs his ankle and miraculously heals at the FT line. Embiid is like Harden, he's made an artform out of drawing "fouls". You hate to see it, but it is what it is.

What I don't understand is why everyone keeps debating who should have been the one guarding Embiid on single coverage. That's just not how you do it when he gets hot. Remind me again why we didn't start doubling him early on? Yeah, you end up chasing the ball. It happens in the NBA. It's not like we don't chase the ball in every game anyway.

Embiid was Dirk-like with his midrange fadeaways in this game. Totally unstoppable at his size. Period. That's such a rare shot for a center these days. As a defender, you have to be both HUGE yourself and right in his grill to bother that shot, and we all know you can't guard Embiid like that. He manufactures some bull*** contact, falls on his ***, rubs his ankle and miraculously heals at the FT line. Embiid is like Harden, he's made an artform out of drawing "fouls". You hate to see it, but it is what it is.

What I don't understand is why everyone keeps debating who should have been the one guarding Embiid on single coverage. That's just not how you do it when he gets hot. Remind me again why we didn't start doubling him early on? Yeah, you end up chasing the ball. It happens in the NBA. It's not like we don't chase the ball in every game anyway.

Dont u wish we made few buckets more and won, so this endless banter about this subject would end, that has been going on here?
Oh well, gotta blow-out Knicks. That should do it!