What's new

Game Thread Nov 13, 2022 05:30PM MT: Jazz at 76ers

Added to Calendar: 11-13-22

Dang. Conley shooting has fallen off a cliff.
1-7 last night and 1-8 the night before? He shoots decent and we win both games

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

I dont think the Wizards or the 76ers did anything to really stop us. We diverted from our style a bit but the chances were there.

Vs Philly we shot 39/29/56 and Embiid had a career night.
Vs WAS they shot 50/44/90 so well above their average from 3

Regardless, both were close calls.

I noticed too that teams are figuring out they don't need to defend Vandy and are making more of a concerted effort to keep the ball from Markannen. Even when you include the bench the Jazz really don't have any other consistent scoring threats in their frontcourt especially now that Olynyk's 3 point shot is falling off. PJ Tucker played 30 minutes last night and his main job was to defend Lauri as he was almost surgically attached.

After being extremely fluid with his lineups for the majority of the season, Hardy has been fairly rigid in his rotations the past few games.
I wish Hardy would not ask Lauri to be in the corner and instead would give him a role where he can drive to the rim more often. I would like to see him more around the center, from where he can shoot or attach the rim going left or right. He has quick first steps. And Hardy should encourage him to draw fouls. The NBA foul rules favor offence. Whether we like it or not, foul drawing is a skill, and the best players in the league know how to do it.

I noticed too that teams are figuring out they don't need to defend Vandy and are making more of a concerted effort to keep the ball from Markannen. Even when you include the bench the Jazz really don't have any other consistent scoring threats in their frontcourt especially now that Olynyk's 3 point shot is falling off. PJ Tucker played 30 minutes last night and his main job was to defend Lauri as he was almost surgically attached.
True. Lauri was chased pretty much the entire game.

I only skimmed through the comments, but didn't see anything about the Sixer's defense. I thought they looked really good, and without Harden that's a good collection of defenders.

I love Mike, but the one thing that bothers me about him is if he isn't shooting well he loses confidence too easily, and becomes passive, which makes defending us a lot easier. I guess maybe it's just a feel thing and if he doesn't have the legs he knows he's not going to be efficient. I just think in those situations he needs to sit, and preserve his value.
Exactly. They have a really good defense (rated 2nd iirc) without Harden. They don't bite on fakes and largely made Clarkson ineffective. Overplayed passing lanes and we didn't back cut to make them honest, so they did it all game.

PJ continually bumped Lauri off his spot as well. Yes, the Jazz missed shots, but the Sixers D is a big reason.

Dang. Conley shooting has fallen off a cliff.
1-7 last night and 1-8 the night before? He shoots decent and we win both games

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app
I think we were run with adrenaline and endorphins quite a while, and the two nights off cut off some momentum.
Our biggest contributors has either shot worse or made worse decisions, or both. Lauri and Jc too, been giving out turnovers or questionable shots in last two games. IIt will be needed to cut off the losing streak at the first place to uild again that endorphin and adrenaline high. This team can not thrive without that kind of energies we have seen most of the season. It made them feel invincible, and we were shooting lights out and making other great things night in, night out.

In hindsight they should've rested him in that Washington game.
I think it shows we are win win-now mode. But it would be prudent to follow a resting schedule for him strategically throughout the season. Keep him as fresh as possible in the event we get into the playoffs.

Exactly. They have a really good defense (rated 2nd iirc) without Harden. They don't bite on fakes and largely made Clarkson ineffective. Overplayed passing lanes and we didn't back cut to make them honest, so they did it all game.

PJ continually bumped Lauri off his spot as well. Yes, the Jazz missed shots, but the Sixers D is a big reason.

I think we were run with adrenaline and endorphins quite a while, and the two nights off cut off some momentum.
Our biggest contributors has either shot worse or made worse decisions, or both. Lauri and Jc too, been giving out turnovers or questionable shots in last two games. IIt will be needed to cut off the losing streak at the first place to uild again that endorphin and adrenaline high. This team can not thrive without that kind of energies we have seen most of the season. It made them feel invincible, and we were shooting lights out and making other great things night in, night out.
I agree with both of these. It does say something about our team that we were really just a bunch of missed free throws and maybe a couple of dumb turnovers away from winning the Philly game. Still in it regardless of the fact that they were throwing a ton at us on defense and we played like garbage and made bad decisions throughout the 2nd half. We were in both of these games to the end, basically, and a few little changes would have given us the W. Still something positive to take away from this weekend.

This is a little thing. The Jazz played in Washington Saturday night and then caught the plane to Philly. Think about they leave the arena, get on a bus to the airport board the plane, get on a bus and then got their hotel. The geography back there is such that taking a bus from the arena to Philly would probably be faster time wise. Maybe the collective bargaining agreement doesn't allow this to happen but when some guys turn in stinky performances it makes you go hmmm!

I agree with both of these. It does say something about our team that we were really just a bunch of missed free throws and maybe a couple of dumb turnovers away from winning the Philly game. Still in it regardless of the fact that they were throwing a ton at us on defense and we played like garbage and made bad decisions throughout the 2nd half. We were in both of these games to the end, basically, and a few little changes would have given us the W. Still something positive to take away from this weekend.
Agreed. I'm also not worrying about Embiid beating this team. Let him have his 60, the rest of the team didn't do much. IF the Jazz shot like they normally do, it is an easy win.

I'd still like to see a lot of the younger guys get more minutes. No need to play gay. I don't see this team going far in the playoffs, so use this year to develop good offensive sets, good defensive habits, and the younger guys, even if it means more losses. If Gay was the great locker room guy his is purported to be, he'd still be that way if he doesn't play. However, it would be best if he was traded or waived.

Lauri also has career FT% of 46.2% in back end of b2b games, while his fg% is somewhere closer to 30 than 40%
Long term solution: keep improving endurance and create some post moves so no need to run as much.
Short term solutions: In b2b pair of games, be more of a spot up shooter, and post up espec. against smaller match-ups to not having to run so much cutting there. Another solution is giving more minutes to bench, of course. It is better for our winning to cut few minutes off from Lauri in the first part of b2b games so he might have a better shooting touch on the back end game.

But in a big picture, he truly needs to work on that endurance. I know in the post-season we do not have b2b games, but its other level of toughness in those series. With someone so relied on his athleticism to keep shooting well, I have been worried about this his whole career.

Help me out here, guys.

It's one of those things where you think you see something... then you're like naaaaaaah, it's just my imagination. There's nothing there. But you just can't shake the feeling you actually DID see something. That's what happens to me now with every Jazz game I watch. And that's why I have to ask:

Are we stealth tanking already?

I mean... for all the talk about Hardy and how great a coach he is, he's making some truly baffling decisions lately that just don't seem to be conducive to winning basketball games.

Kessler is our Rudy more or less and he isnt being used enough yet. He can stop rim buckets and KO doesnt. All about matchups and I dont understand Kessler not playing more minutes on Embid

Another example of a coaching fail: The Sixers center outscored the entire Jazz team in the 4th quarter: 26 to 20. Has coach ever heard of a zone?
Well, Embiid did go all Michael Jordan on the jazz with freaking made turnaround jumpers all fourth quarter, and he couldn’t miss. Also Markkanen struggled to guard Embiid, I skreamed for Coach to take Markkanen off Embiid but he never switched.

Well, Embiid did go all Michael Jordan on the jazz with freaking made turnaround jumpers all fourth quarter, and he couldn’t miss. Also Markkanen struggled to guard Embiid, I skreamed for Coach to take Markkanen off Embiid but he never switched.
Embiid is a giant. Lauri and KO both have PF type size. Neither of them is long like Kessler is. You don't play basketball with the top of your head.