What's new

Game Thread Nov 19, 2023 06:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Suns

Added to Calendar: 11-19-23

Stop with your upcoming draft nonsense. This draft has a bunch of really good prospects that would fill a need for us.
I will not stop lol… and it’s not nonsense. I’d rather just convey the pick than have the 9th or 10th pick in this draft. I think the draft always has some elements of luck but this draft will end up being a more dicey guess than normal.

They are much better off playing in nba games where they can focus on playing smaller roles and gradually expand from those roles. The gleague is simply bad basketball where bad habits are formed. It has its benefits for keeping guys in shape but actual nba minutes are far more valuable unless we are talking strictly about garbage time minutes which are worthless. At this point though I think with Hardy at the helm we are talking about garbage time minutes. We probably need another month of losing before the front office would force his hand like they did last year with Ochai.
Look I’m a big Taylor supporter but he needs to get some confidence and understanding of where to be on a basketball court. Sensabaugh may end up developing some bad habits long term but his 15 game stint can kind of be a rehab assignment as he’s working his way back from surgery. No need to rush either guy.

The NBA needs to award a 1st round draft pick to the team who gets the most **** calls/no-calls that go against them over the course of a season. The second place team gets a 2nd round pick.
And somehow the results will be the Lakers get an additional first round pick, even when the eye test shows them getting all the calls.

The problem with basketball is it is so fast paced, there are potential fouls to be called basically every possession. The FBI tried to show that Tim Donaghy was throwing games, but could not prove it since he could call "legitimate" fouls but still skew the game.

At this point, I'm just excited to watch Keyonte's development. I don't necessarily care right now about misses and rookie mistakes, but I want to see something every game that gets me excited about his potential. In this game the play that got me excited was his nifty little pass to Collins where he broke down the defense and created a small window to deliver a pass with his off hand for a wide open shot at the rim. Unfortunately Collins missed the shot, but that was the play of the game for me.

Looked like a great defensive play to me, was probably the right call. Don't think landing space matters when it's a loose ball, and the instant Durant blocked the shot it is a loose ball. Just like the contact on the arm doesn't matter after the block neither does the landing zone.
Lmao. Proper defensive technique is jumping straight up, not into the player, that’s what Durant did block or no block. The hell is wrong with you? There was a play where JC blocked a shot with plenty of space. He clearly got the block long before there could’ve been any other contact and it was a foul on JC.
41W AND 54 L Hardy record now with Jazz
That’s not a bad record for a rebuilding team and coming in right after trading two of their best scorers and their all world defensive stopper.

Ok my thoughts on the last play is as follows:

First with 0.9 seconds I took a sigh of relief, no way the jazz win now.

Then Durant clearly fouled Markkanen and I started cussing Durant for being an idiot while getting a confused look from my wife.

Then suns Coach challenges the play and I was amused by his desperation to not see another overtime.

Then I noticed “hey!! This challenge is taking forever, interesting. ”

Then pure annoyance at how corrupt the nba is came over me at the announcement.

Then pure joy filled my body realizing the refs really do want us to have a first round pick in 24.

Then I felt for OKC fans because I’m sure they would like to have yet another pick.

Then utter annoyance at my wife because it took me 5 minutes to explain why I was soooo happy the jazz lost. I was unsuccessful at explaining why this was good for the jazz.

All in all it’s good to know the jazz for once is giving favor to the jazz.

The draft sucks overall. We are talking about Collier being the #1 pick when he would barely be in teh top 10 for most drafts.
As usual you are full of hyperbole. No one is talking about Collier being the #1 pick other than a couple people on this board. No one that actually matters thinks that is the case. Also to say Collier would barely be in the top 10 in most drafts may be pure nonsense. We are literally only a few games into the season and already we have you writing off players. We have a long way to go before we have an idea of just how good this draft can be but as of now I really like the top 10 potential in this draft.

As usual you are full of hyperbole. No one is talking about Collier being the #1 pick other than a couple people on this board. No one that actually matters thinks that is the case. Also to say Collier would barely be in the top 10 in most drafts may be pure nonsense. We are literally only a few games into the season and already we have you writing off players. We have a long way to go before we have an idea of just how good this draft can be but as of now I really like the top 10 potential in this draft.
I'm not speaking hyperbole. Plenty of people are talking about Collier #1.

And the draft sucks. Flat out. We are looking at a draft that will struggle to produce a multi time all-star.

Reactions: Flc
Kinda surprised that no one has publicly recalled the time we (CJ Miles) got away with a foul on Kevin Durant in an overtime win against the Thunder. Maybe not precisely the same, but certainly enough similarities that I thought someone might bring it up.
The NBA issued a public apology to Durant the following day.

The NBA needs to award a 1st round draft pick to the team who gets the most **** calls/no-calls that go against them over the course of a season. The second place team gets a 2nd round pick.
Andy Larsen wrote something about this a few years ago, compiling all the data on incorrect calls from L2M report. We were at the bottom by a far margin, a pretty disgustingly distorted outlier. I’ll try to dig it up. The league isn’t throwing a bone our way. We’re a good soldier that does the best with what we’ve got to make the league generally competitive and we’re not a squeaky wheel. I know you’re not saying this seriously, and I’m not interpreting it as such, but there’s no way they’re looking to scoop a little deeper in the gruel and give us a little extra.

G League is totally fine for them for 10-15 games. Reassess based on results after that.

This coming draft is a pile of meh… best case is we get a top 4 pick but second best case imo is we send the pick back to OKC and are done with that obligation. Only reason to be playing the young guys right now is to tank. The prize at the end of the tank this year is like the jelly of the month club membership and we are all expecting a big bonus to build a pool in the backyard. TH and Sensabaugh can get experience in the g league and move up for more experience later in the year if things don’t turn around.
Come on. There will be enough left over to fly everyone down to dedicate it.

Stop with your upcoming draft nonsense. This draft has a bunch of really good prospects that would fill a need for us.
That thumbs down suggests that we should get excited about the draft!

Tbh, we all expected this draft to be epic and it hasn't translated. There are some years that are supposed to be so amazing... Jabari Parker and Andrew Wiggins was supposed to be generational good. It was a flop.

Other years are supposed to be super poor and there is great talent.

Talent can be had every year so... I think a top 3 pick sounds great!

That thumbs down suggests that we should get excited about the draft!

Tbh, we all expected this draft to be epic and it hasn't translated. There are some years that are supposed to be so amazing... Jabari Parker and Andrew Wiggins was supposed to be generational good. It was a flop.

Other years are supposed to be super poor and there is great talent.

Talent can be had every year so... I think a top 3 pick sounds great!
No one expected to be excited about this draft.

I came into the draft optimistic, but every player with standout physical traits is a very average. Yes, there is always someone in the draft somewhere, but picking 8th in a draft with a needle in a haystack isn't exactly great and top 3 might even be worse.

To all the posters that say the play at the end was not a foul (I could go either way on it personally), I have an honest question. I'm genuinely curious. I'm fine if the NBA wants to say it's not a foul if you get the ball first and yada yada. But in your heart-of-hearts, if the tables were turned and it was Durrant or Booker shooting it and a Jazz defender did the same thing (say it was KO), does the call get overturned?

To all the posters that say the play at the end was not a foul (I could go either way on it personally), I have an honest question. I'm genuinely curious. I'm fine if the NBA wants to say it's not a foul if you get the ball first and yada yada. But in your heart-of-hearts, if the tables were turned and it was Durrant or Booker shooting it and a Jazz defender did the same thing (say it was KO), does the call get overturned?
If you're going the conspiracy theory route wouldn't the NbA want the foul to happen to extend the game because it was national TV?

I think its obvious some players/teams get the benefit of the doubt more often than others, but I dont think its rigged. I think its more of the refs taking the road of less public scrutiny in 50/50 situations.

I think its obvious some players/teams get the benefit of the doubt more often than others, but I dont think its rigged. I think its more of the refs taking the road of less public scrutiny in 50/50 situations.
It's mostly because the players who get the benefit of the whistle understand what refs are calling and have the specific athleticism required to draw those calls.

Yes, obviously some players get the benefit of the doubt. I think all parties know and accept that. Just one of those things in the NBA microcosm. (As an aside, we have none of these players. Lauri is a Top 25 guy and an All-Star but gets role player treatment from the refs.)

But teams? Nah. The modern NBA is dominated by individual stars and social media engagement. Team brands and market sizes are much less important for the business side of the league than they used to be. But if you're a team (like the Jazz) that doesn't have a single guy who gets a star whistle, it's easy to think the refs have it in for the team as a whole.