What's new

Game Thread Nov 21, 2023 08:00PM MT: Jazz at Lakers (Tournament)

Added to Calendar: 11-21-23

A bit off note bc there was no game tonight. Just basketball.

23-24 season Lauri: 48.2/39.3/84 Lauri after first sixth into season. efg% 58.5 and 2pt% 58.0
22-23 season Lauri: 49.9/39.1/87.5 Lauri had in his all-star season. efg% 58.6 and 2pt% 58.5

Last four games took his 3% down and inside scoring up. I think in the end this dude throws identic numbers just to make us think this is all Groundhogs Day

I was looking first half logs. First stint with Lauri in we are down 4. He goes to rest we are down 13 when he enters again the game late 1st. We cut it down to 11 with his time on court. In the 2nd quarter when Lauri enters back at 4.25 left and we are down 16. And it takes three minutes we manage to find a shot for him - meanwhile the deficit was grown to 20.

We can not A. make him be on court 40 minutes each night have a fighting chance and B. have him without shots three minutes straight. Not even if his threes arre not falling well.

BTW Collins is so damn consistent I love it.

Last edited:
Turned it off towards the end of the first half and played my guitar for awhile. Checking into NBA.com I see that Dapper Dan coach of ours finally got Yurt into another game, when it was too late to make a difference of course. :rolleyes:

If we want to beat a team like the Lakers we need to bring more effort into both ends than they do. We looked flat and lacked any form of spark.
  • Lauri ended up with the best BPM of the starters which is no surprise, but him missing his first 5 threes really set a bad tone in this game.
  • Hardy gets a major slap on the wrist for not putting in Yurt7 in the first half when AD was just bullying us. Neither Collins nor KO had a chance in stopping, rebounding or scoring against AD but Hardy stuck with them.
  • KO is not a center. He just isnt. He is tall but doesnt play tall. Doesnt box out. Doesnt rebound effectively. Doesnt defend the rim without fouling. He can be a useful player but he is not a center.
  • There is a sense of negativity about the team that is different from last year, when the players were united, fearless and fighting hard
    • It could be Conley's veteran presence that is the missing ingredient, but Hardy needs to take major piece of the blame pie for this.
No more trending in the positive direction.

- Nobody expects a 6'4'' John Collins to play Anthony Davis to a standstill, but the total lack of effort he displayed on defense against AD (and LeBron) was just ridiculous. I knew Collins was a bad defender, but he's still been a disappointment on that front. An NBA veteran can't be constantly messing up rotations and switches like a rookie and avoiding contact when guys go to the rim. Collins isn't doing any favors to his value with this stuff. We're paying him $25 MILLION this season and the guy plays straight legged defense like my dad.

- Don't look now but Lauri is hitting 22% (7/32) from the perimeter in his last four games. It's his customary slump after a hot stretch, and he seems hell bent on just shooting his way out of it. Hey, it'll probably work eventually... but the timing is unfortunate since we won't beat anyone if he's a non-factor offensively. Oh well, "good for the tank". Maybe we'll get a chance to draft another Hendricks.

- Hardy is losing me fast. He needs to be held accountable in at least some way.

What was disturbing to me was the lack of Assists from the starting 5. The shooting was horrible so maybe move the ball some. Pathetic effort by the Jazz.

One of the rare times I'm glad I live on EST and can just pretend like this game never happened.

Ya i was playing uno and candyland with the family and looked up at the clock and it was 8:30 and i was like oh **** the game is on. I turned it on and saw the score and turned it back off. Had to be up at 5am for work and didnt want to see the jazz go on a little run to suck me in and make me stay up too late like what happened against the suns a few games ago.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Ya i was playing uno and candyland with the family and looked up at the clock and it was 8:30 and i was like oh **** the game is on. I turned it on and saw the score and turned it back off. Had to be up at 5am for work and didnt want to see the jazz go on a little run to suck me in and make me stay up too late like what happened against the suns a few games ago.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

The secret to candyland is to slip the queen frostine card to in a place where it will come up on your turn.