What's new

Game Thread Nov 22, 2023 08:00PM MT: Jazz at Trail Blazers

Added to Calendar: 11-22-23

While this is true it most of the time needs just the guard lend him a ball and when he gives it back the guard is now more open bc defenses rn after Lauri. He does not need to have to do a lot with the ball just lending it once or twice in a possession opens up their game.

Also I wrote it wrong : I meant passes received - not touches. And it does not matter can he do sae things with ball like Jokic or Durant. Lauri does not need the ball as much before he is getting better at some things. But getting JUST 30 times the ball passed to teams best scorer and an all star is ludicrous. It is laughable. It is beyond dumb.
To me it’s more about Laurie making a higher percentage of the open looks that he’s getting and not getting blocked in the paint than anything.

And to think that we had a brief window of opportunity where we could have turned Sexton and THT and a bad first into Brogdon. Pretty sure that that ship has sailed now.
That ship has sailed on both sides. The idea was to expend a first round pick to buoy a play-in roster into the playoffs, not a lottery roster into a play-in contender.

And to think that we had a brief window of opportunity where we could have turned Sexton and THT and a bad first into Brogdon. Pretty sure that that ship has sailed now.
That would have been dumb. Brogdon does nothing but keep this team in mediocrity when a full rebuild is needed.

To me it’s more about Laurie making a higher percentage of the open looks that he’s getting and not getting blocked in the paint than anything.
Lauri is already one of the most efficient players in the league, and he never gets the ball - and you want him to be even more efficient?

Comparable All Star level big men in the league (Randle, Ingram) get 60 passes per game. Guys like Alperen Sengun and Vucevic get 40, Nurkic and Zach Collins get 35.

Lauri gets 30. At the same level as Santi Aldama and Deni Avdija.

The Jazz are a compilation of me-me-me guards with two passers: George (cos he's a rookie and been told to do that) and KO (because he actually is).

If Lauri continues to get 30 passes per game (instead of double that) then he's not going to have an effect on any games. Yesterday Lauri didn't get practically any touches in the 1st half (hard to pass it of course, when it's already been given to the Blazers). Then in the 3rd Hardy had reminded everyone to pass the ball (because this team needs to be told that every time), Lauri scored 11 in the quarter and the Jazz won the period.

Also, because he doesn't get the touches, it's pretty clear that Lauri is looking to score every single time he gets the ball. That sometimes leads to bad shots instead of good passes, because he knows he won't the touch the ball again if he gives it up.

It's a rough life. Also going to be in SAS for a few hours
This is my second time here but actually had time to see some of the surrounding areas… actually really like it. We up in New Braunfels doing Gilmore Girl ****. May have to stay here for a few years so I’m not tempted to watch this *** team. Wait for Cooper Flagg or a Boozer.

This team needs a lead dog in the worst possible way!
Lauri is already one of the most efficient players in the league, and he never gets the ball - and you want him to be even more efficient?

Comparable All Star level big men in the league (Randle, Ingram) get 60 passes per game. Guys like Alperen Sengun and Vucevic get 40, Nurkic and Zach Collins get 35.

Lauri gets 30. At the same level as Santi Aldama and Deni Avdija.

The Jazz are a compilation of me-me-me guards with two passers: George (cos he's a rookie and been told to do that) and KO (because he actually is).

If Lauri continues to get 30 passes per game (instead of double that) then he's not going to have an effect on any games. Yesterday Lauri didn't get practically any touches in the 1st half (hard to pass it of course, when it's already been given to the Blazers). Then in the 3rd Hardy had reminded everyone to pass the ball (because this team needs to be told that every time), Lauri scored 11 in the quarter and the Jazz won the period.

Also, because he doesn't get the touches, it's pretty clear that Lauri is looking to score every single time he gets the ball. That sometimes leads to bad shots instead of good passes, because he knows he won't the touch the ball again if he gives it up.
Getting open for passes is a two way street and Laurie needs to be more proactive reading the plays and moving to the ball. He also needs to learn how to anticipate and finish on the alley-oop. Also, players you mention are involved in a lot of P&R action. Why are we not running more P&R for Laurie? I don’t know, maybe he’s not that good at it. Laurie as he is now, is a second option maybe on a good team. Not saying he can’t get there but as is Laurie is rather limited and definitely not much of a creator ion his own - which is a bit of a prerequisite generally for #1 scoring option.

Getting open for passes is a two way street and Laurie needs to be more proactive reading the plays and moving to the ball. He also needs to learn how to anticipate and finish on the alley-oop. Also, players you mention are involved in a lot of P&R action. Why are we not running more P&R for Laurie? I don’t know, maybe he’s not that good at it. Laurie as he is now, is a second option maybe on a good team. Not saying he can’t get there but as is Laurie is rather limited and definitely not much of a creator ion his own - which is a bit of a prerequisite generally for #1 scoring option.
Who's Laurie? Does she play basketball?

Do watch a game or two. Unless he's in the weak side corner, Lauri is constantly on the move, setting picks, rolling, getting position in the post. And never gets the ball. Of course he could do it even more, but I'm sure it gets frustrating never getting the ball, because the guards are busy chucking some **** up, turning it over and driving into traffic without any sort of plan.

How many missed alley oops does he have the whole season so far? 1, 2? How many "missing" passes to him? 450. So, maybe, just maybe, let's think more about the 450 rather than the 2.

IMO they have. Some guys probably haven't listened to him all season but now it's all going to hell.
Based on Clarkson's play and body language I would guess he's a guy who probably hasn't listened to a word Hardy has said all season.

Can't say that I totally blame him either. He just got his bag and at his age likely wants to play on a contender. The talking heads have been saying for a year there are maybe 3-4 untouchables on this team and Clarkson's name never appears on that list. Add in all his off court interests and I'm going to guess he's not all that engaged at the moment. In the meantime he's getting his shots up until he gets traded to a better situation although I'm assuming the new team will keep him on a tighter leash than what we are seeing now in Utah. Hopefully Ryan Smith is finally seeing the light too.