What's new

Obama Government Shutdown?

The problem is that our high school education in North America is moulded to fit the needs of for-profit universities, who in turn mould their education on the needs of large, for-profit corporations. You can't really drop general math requirements, because universities won't take those kids, and in turn, your kid won't land an awesome job with whatever Fortune 500 company. We have two streams for each high school course here in Canada, academic and non-academic. They're usually labeled with numbers, so that English 10-1 would be academic grade 10 English and 10-2 would be non-academic.

The idea behind this is basically good. You don't really need to be able to do an in-depth analysis of the graveyard scene in Hamlet in order to...well, actually, in order to do anything. But you especially don't need it to be an accountant, a mechanic or a chemical technician. It's probably good to be able to do it if you're going into university humanities. The problem is that university entrance requirements are getting tougher and tougher and they demand you have academic-level courses when you graduate. Back when I started HS, two thirds of students in grade 10 were taking non-academic Social Studies, and one third were taking academic. 15 years later, those numbers have reversed. Parental pressure is tremendous, because so many of them want their kids to go to university and to do that, you often need academic-level Social Studies. This results in a lot of kids who realistically should be taking -2 courses ending up in my -1 courses. They then often struggle to pass, require outside tutoring, and are generally put under insane and unnecessary pressure. And for what? To often end up right back in non-academic courses because you simply cannot pass them. To say nothing of kids who barely pass and have gained very little from the whole experiences or the kids who are so weak at Social Studies, they have to take 3 years worth of non-academic classes, then back track and redo every one of those at academic level because it's the only way they'll pass.

And don't even get me started on how in grade 12, you don't really teach so much as spend all your time preparing kids for one stupid exam at the end of the year that we can't get rid of because universities complain.

Oh yes the tests. Teaching for the tests. It happens starting in Elementary School. We aren't thinking big picture at all.
We are teaching skills to pass standardized testing. Trying to fit every student through a narrow tube to get to the next grade. Even the fat
left brained ones. One curriculum size fits all.

These for-profit universities seem to have their priorities messed up. Think about how much more time, and money goes into the sports programs than actual courses.
The sports programs make them the money, and are priority number one. We all love college sports, but have they taken over the colleges?

Wonkblog just posted a very interesting article re: the internal politics of the GOP with the shutdown and John Boehner.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/10/01/why-boehner-doesnt-just-ditch-the-right/

This quote says it all:

"RC: What we're seeing is the collapse of institutional Republican power. It’s not so much about Boehner. It’s things like the end of earmarks. They move away from Tom DeLay and they think they're improving the House, but now they have nothing to offer their members. The outside groups don't always move votes directly but they create an atmosphere of fear among the members. And so many of these members now live in the conservative world of talk radio and tea party conventions and Fox News invitations. And so the conservative strategy of the moment, no matter how unrealistic it might be, catches fire. The members begin to believe they can achieve things in divided government that most objective observers would believe is impossible. Leaders are dealing with these expectations that wouldn't exist in a normal environment."

The republicans have no plan, no direction, no leadership.

Here is a graph:

compromise.png

Is it still the position of Stoked and others that the Dems have refused to compromise sufficiently with their Senate bill?

I have to be completely honest, I haven't watched the news or gone to Drudge or politico since well before the Mitt/Obama election.

But let's be serious here. Is that a 1 trillion dollar budget? Is no one worried that the government is spending that much money? How much does the govt collect in revenue?

Can't agree more with most of this. Germany is by no means perfect, but their system seems like it's built to succeed.

So damn, where the hell do we start?

I think the core of our country could be our smartest investment. Giving people better education, more useful curriculum, and hopefully better road map to succeed.
I think we can first start with our High Schools. Giving kids courses on how to pay taxes, invest, pay your bills, budget. Basically giving children skills for the real world. Drop some of the general math requirements, and give some students different methods to fit their skill sets.

I agree with this, but I think the starting point is a little further back. We need to clean up the corruption. We need to get TEACHERS properly compensated (not administrators). We need to realize that everyone isn't equal, and allow there to be different learning categories. We need to not hold back our brightest, but at the same time, not forget about those who need more help to keep pace.

We need to strengthen the family. You learn at home to work hard, do your homework, set a budget, etc. If mom and dad don't do it and care about being responsible, how can we expect little Johnnie to, no matter what his teacher at school says?

I think dropping general math requirements is a HUGE mistake. Math is so important in EVERY walk of life. It is by far the most important tool out there, and our societies turn away from math and towards more "softer" sciences is part of the reason we are slipping so far, IMHO.

Nope. I am at work, can offer limited services and will not get paid till a budget is passed. Any approved leave during the shutdown is cancelled, no exceptions. If some takes that leave anyways they are AWOL.

wait, what? you serious bro? You have to work for free until those ******** pass a budget? I hope you hate Ted Cruz with a passion. If that guy wins next time around, we are gonna have another recession.

We need to teach people how to buy food that will feed them for a whole month. Both those that abuse the system and those that need it are all making the same mistake. They buy way too much junk and frozen dinners. They use all of their money on food that will last two weeks and the last two, they are barely scraping by. Most families that are not on food stamps find ways to eat for a whole month on less than what the government is providing through its food stamp program.

What is the old cliche... Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime (or a least a whole month...)

After hearing everyone's opinion on how civil this has been, I now feel like a dick.

I'm sorry.

It's funny what can be discussed without Hannity or Olberman yelling in your ear how the other side is just wrong.

Aren't we running at huge deficits? How are you supposed to fund something you don't have money for?

Come on now. Your post is EXACTLY what is wrong with this country.

Here are some facts:

We have more social/defense programs than we can afford.

Raising taxes is a STUPID argument, because if you taxed the rich at 100%, we would still be running deficits.

Until both sides realize that we are in over our heads AND ONLY THROUGH CUTS can we get back on stable ground, then politics is pointless because no one wants to fix the problem. They just want theirs.

The only other option is to pull out of the "world", tax all imports through the butt, and force manufacturers to bring jobs back to the US.

Here's a fact: Deficits are already getting much smaller, much faster than we anticipated. This was found with The excel error heard round the world. https://www.kplu.org/post/how-excel-error-derailed-federal-deficit-debate

What this tells you is that the study that just about every GOP politician had been using to project "Financial Meltdown unless we follow a GOP plan" was dramatically, comically flawed. In August alone, it shrunk 35%. Long term, we can absolutely afford it.

Now, even though you think I'm what's wrong with America(which, you're full of crap, but oh well), you bring up a valid point. Should we cut military funding? ABSOFRICKINLUTELY!

So why haven't the GOP offered that?

Because they want to stand on Obamacare every chance they get. Not because it's bad for the country.. not because we can't afford it. But because they feel enfeebled that it's law. They're that guy that's like "Hey... so all the numbers look great. But my gut says no way"

wait, what? you serious bro? You have to work for free until those ******** pass a budget? I hope you hate Ted Cruz with a passion. If that guy wins next time around, we are gonna have another recession.

Dead serious. This goes 21 days like the last shut down did and I'm going to be hurting.

Is this the thread where we bitch about the richest, most powerful, and most productive nation in the history of the world being led by a bunch of out of touch, dimwitted incompetents?

Hating on politicians is lame.

Is this the thread where we bitch about the richest, most powerful, and most productive nation in the history of the world being led by a bunch of out of touch, dimwitted incompetents?

Hating on politicians is lame.

To be fair.. the season hasn't started. And we really, really need something to focus on.

You got a better idea?

Why are politicians not allowed to have mixed views? If they are for a flat tax then they can't be for gay marriage?

That is really a serious issue in our country. If you don't swallow everything hook line and sinker then you can't be taken seriously, even though the VAST majority of people I know have mixed beliefs. I personally have no issues with gay marriage, knock yourself out, marry however many of whoever or whatever you want to. But I am against unfettered abortion. Since I hold a belief from each side of the spectrum I can't ever have a voice, right? Strange because I know way way more people with mixed beliefs, or dare I say moderate beliefs, than who toe the party-line, and most of the latter group I and most of my acquaintances and friends would label wackos due to the vehemence of their defense of "their side" and their vilification of the "other side".

I agree with this. Party-line people drive me nuts, and I can't understand how someone could possibly agree with the party on EVERY SINGLE ISSUE.

Okay, after reading this some more, I'm surprised everybody is not blaming this on the Tea Party. They state every chance they get that they either want it their way or want the system to collapse so they can "rebuild it the right way". In other words, if they don't get what they want then they want to take society down with them. How righteous.

The GOP is in a quagmire and will be until the old white prudes die off.

I love how Democrats always try to give the money I work hard for to people who are unwilling to do so for themselves.

That's very stereotypical. I'm a Republican myself, but I at least have enough experience with poor people to recognize that there are many reasons why they are poor, and unwillingness to work is only one of many. Others include: no jobs in the area, no ability to get out of the area, no education to qualify you for the jobs that do exist, no education to help you realize what you need to do to get a job, no culture to teach you that working and education are important. And so forth.

I think we should all be voted in as the next congress.

Colton as the Speaker of the House, Kicky as the minority leader.

We'd get more accomplished in one night than these clowns have all year.

Dead serious. This goes 21 days like the last shut down did and I'm going to be hurting.

Read somewhere that this will hurt around 40K Utah people/families. No clue how many people/families this will affect nationwide but it can't be good. I know some people in the same situation as Stoked, or similar, and it's not good at all. I don't really have the right words to express how this whole situation makes me feel, but it's not nice.