What's new

Obvious Moves the Jazz Should Make this Offseason

Mike Conley + Royce Oneale to the Wizards for KP. You trade Bogey. You try to replicate what the Cavs had with three 7 footers. Gobert, KP, and Juan Herman Gomez, Jordan Clarkson and Donovan. Ingles in the off-season.

I honestly think no matter what the trade is we are going to take a step back if we trade Gobert. I think we can retool around Mitchell and be back to a competitive playoff team in a couple years if Mitchell decides to stick around. I just don’t think he wants to be here.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz
I think we can still make the playoffs without Rudy but be better prepared for the playoffs.

I don't know about you, but I would rather have a better chance in the playoffs.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Mike Conley + Royce Oneale to the Wizards for KP. You trade Bogey. You try to replicate what the Cavs had with three 7 footers. Gobert, KP, and Juan Herman Gomez, Jordan Clarkson and Donovan. Ingles in the off-season.

Locke mentioned that Conley and Royce for Porzingis trade on his show Friday, and he mentioned Porzingis a few times on today's show too...he seems kind of intrigued by him. I must admit the thought of Rudy and Porzingis in the starting lineup together kind of intrigues me as well. I don't think it would work in the playoffs, but it is kind of fascinating to think about though.

Locke mentioned that Conley and Royce for Porzingis trade on his show Friday, and he mentioned Porzingis a few times on today's show too...he seems kind of intrigued by him. I must admit the thought of Rudy and Porzingis in the starting lineup together kind of intrigues me as well. I don't think it would work in the playoffs, but it is kind of fascinating to think about though.
Lauri Markenen helped the Cavs. Similarly KP could help the Jazz it could effect the whole roster.

That'd be a great King's trade if they didn't move Haluburton for Sabonis
Right! Kinda think they maybe KANGZZED teh eff outta that one. But at least they made the play.... oh wait... they didn't make the play-in... nevermind.

The list starts and ends with firing Quin. There is a 0% chance that Juancho is back on his current contract. Options for moves where we get good value aren’t great.
Yes, I 100% concur that this is the only “real” obvious move! The fact that Snyder is the fourth highest tenured coach behind Pop, Spoelstra and Kerr (all with multiple championships) and Snyder has never been past the second round is enough to qualify by itself independent of the multiple coaching gaffes he’s committed. Even Mike Malone, the fifth highest tenured has been past the second round in Denver as well as made us look like buffoons in their comeback series victory over us.

I've come to peace with the fact that the Jazz will probably delay the inevitable rebuild by at least a year.

At least now it seems like the Jazz will keep Gobert.

I hope the Jazz can make some significant moves that are at least interesting w/ decent potential (without sacrificing the ability to kickstart a rebuild if it fails).

Here is a list of moves I think the Jazz should make this offseason, with rationale:

1) Mike Conley is too small to be much of a defensive presence. He's also too small to finish at the rim efficiently. If another team offers real value for him, then the Jazz should move him. The Jazz still have Mitchell, Clarkson and Butler who can play at the 1.

2) Bojan Bogdanovic is entering the final year of his deal. He's also 33 years-old and likely to decline in production. If another team offers real value for him, then the Jazz should move him to preserve the value of their talent portfolio. They should look to bring in another floor spacer at the wing.

3) Rudy Gobert is limited offensively. Yes, he's highly efficient at the rim and a force on the defensive end, but it's partly due to Rudy's offensive limitations that the Jazz have to run a system where he can be successful, and they overcompensate with offensive talent across the rest of their rotation. Rudy is an All NBA-level player and DPOY. If another team offers significant value for him (read: overreaches), the Jazz should move Rudy. Rudy's trade value will probably never be higher for a team that wants to add 8-10 wins and make the playoffs. Jazz should be looking for a top-10 pick plus a starting-level player, at a minimum, to move Rudy.

4) Royce O'Neale is limited offensively. The fact that he "doesn't use possessions" is not a compelling enough virtue for him to be in the starting lineup. Royce is rotational, he knows Quin's system and he moves the ball, but he should probably come off the bench if the Jazz want to improve their starting and closing lineup. If he can be included in trade package that brings back a solid return, he should not be untouchable.

5) Juan Hernangomez is on the books for $6M next season, with a guarantee date of June 30th (a week after the draft). Considering he beat out Rudy Gay and Eric Paschall in our playoff rotation, the Jazz should probably plan to keep him unless his salary factors into a sweet trade deal. His expiring contract can also be used as trade filler at the deadline if another deal comes up during the season.

6) Jordan Clarkson can play at the 1 and the 2. He can score with self-creation, plus he rebounds when he's properly motivated. He also provides energy, athleticism and attitude to a team that was otherwise pretty vanilla. Jazz should keep him, especially if they're going to trade Mike.

7) Donovan is improving as a lead guard with the ball in his hands, but I think it takes too much mental energy to have to run Quin's system. Not only does it tax Donovan's energy level and make it harder for him to invest on defense, it prevents him from playing instinctively. This is similar to the problem that Damian Lillard and James Harden had in the past when they're being asked to carry too much of a load. The solution is to bring in another high-level guard or wing who can play on the ball, take pressure off of Donovan, and let him keep his rhythm as a scorer. I think this was part of the rationale for pairing Donovan with Mike, but Mike cannot be depended upon to perform at a high enough level.

8) Quin may need to simplify some of his actions. If it's taking guys an entire year to acclimate to Quin's system, then maybe the system needs to be simplified. The playoffs often come down to exploiting matchups and physically overpowering opponents over a 7-game series. Guys can't be thinking hard. They need to be playing hard. Jazz need play with more balls and less brains.

Good post.
I would change number 8 though. Get rid of quin.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Can't stand Locke he finds no fault in the jazz ever

Can't stand Locke he finds no fault in the jazz ever

Locke thinks it's good enough to be "top-4" in the conference. Then he's surprised when the Jazz lose in the 1st or 2nd round.

The reality is that teams with bonafide top 5 players are the ones that advance in the playoffs. The elephant in the living room is that the Jazz don't have one. Their system and coaching wizardry isn't enough to compensate for this.

Locke thinks it's good enough to be "top-4" in the conference. Then he's surprised when the Jazz lose in the 1st or 2nd round.

The reality is that teams with bonafide top 5 players are the ones that advance in the playoffs. The elephant in the living room is that the Jazz don't have one. Their system and coaching wizardry isn't enough to compensate for this.
Locke drinks the Jazz koolaid. He must be on the jazz payroll

This is pretty spot much spot on. Unfortunately for the Jazz, Donovan and Rudy are never going to be top 5 players and likely not even top 10 players. Even if the front office knocks it out of the park this offseason in terms of re-tooling the roster, it's just really hard to imagine the Jazz ever actually competing for a championship with Don and Rudy as our two best players.

Last edited: