What's new

Game Thread Oct 04, 2021 06:30PM MT: Jazz at Spurs (Preseason)

Added to Calendar: 10-04-21

overall We look bad, totally not ready. look at Lakers they are focused and look like on the mission. Vogel spoke that effort at the practice is off the chart. I saw our open practice on zoom. friendly joking Las Vegas party. It looked bad. We'll see. Veteran's speculative team.

overall We look bad, totally not ready. look at Lakers they are focused and look like on the mission. Vogel spoke that effort at the practice is off the chart. I saw our open practice on zoom. friendly joking Las Vegas party. It looked bad. We'll see. Veteran's speculative team.
Lol didn't they get blown out in their preseason opener too?

I don’t ever read too much into a preseason game, especially the first. Gobert didnt play which throws off the offense in a big way. He’s more important to the offense then some realize. What he does doesn’t show up in the box score. Ingles also a no show, no, as well as Bogey, so mostly Mitch and JC, and I’m sure their heads aren’t fully into this like they would be if it was regular season plus playing with scrubs. No need to overreact. The jazz are fine, oh, and Gay didn’t play either. This just wasn’t anything close to what the jazz are at all.

Also, what’s Vogel going to say, coaches always have that response. I’m sure what you saw was rather normal for a scrimmage for any nba team. I’m sure if they let us watch an actual practice with drills or whatever. Plus this Lakers team is new to them, new faces and all so they trying to learn a system and get acclimated to new faces where the jazz core is basically the same it’s been for what feels like forever. Nothing to worry about.

Can Paschall can be a pick’n roll ball handler? Maybe he can fill the Ingles roll if he sticks around and Ingles retires or gets too old to where he isn’t the same player?

Ya, I know. I was more Lamenting the fact we don’t have our own pick more than anything. But seriously, are there any protections on the pick?
It is top 6 protected this year top 3 protected next year and top 1 protected in 2024

#tanktime

Can Paschall can be a pick’n roll ball handler? Maybe he can fill the Ingles roll if he sticks around and Ingles retires or gets too old to where he isn’t the same player?
Not at all. He’s a PF who will struggle to move well enough to guard the perimeter. He’s played some small ball five with some success but would never survive in our main schemes that way. He’s kind of a tweener but is intriguing. He looks a little too thiccc imo. I think he should lighten up a bit and he needs to improve his jumper a lot. He’s fine but the more I look at him the less excited I get.

Relax. It's just preseason and Rudy, Bogey, Ingles and Gay didn't even play.

I don't think he's a pick-and-roll ball handler, but he can get into the lane and make plays with a pass. I think Paschall's main value will be attacking defenders off the dribble when they play a switching defense. He can use his size to bully defenders and get deep in the paint.

Can two-ways play in the playoffs this year? People were mentioning Forrest playing good D in the first half. How good are we talking? I’d like to see us develop him as a guy who can get perimeter D minutes rather than just minutes at PG.
John Amaechi did, so why not?

Paschall has a weird skillset/physical tools and doesn't really fit into how we play but I guess it's not the worst thing. We have a lot trouble when teams take us out of what we do. Hopefully he can find a place. I think his best NBA role is as a rolling big like Harrell, but he likely won't get that opportunity. I liked the confidence in his shot but there's no evidence of him being a good 3 point shooter so I'm skeptical. I think his best shot to make an impact on this team is to play with a lot of energy like Keldon "big body" Johnson. He's got to defend and rebound first and foremost.

Sucks I wasn't able to get a working stream to watch the game last night.

Since people talking about Paschall, I do not think he or his game is anything close to Montrez Harrell, he's more of a quick twitch athlete with strength (like The Manimal) other than being undersized not seeing any comparison really. Paschall is strong due to being naturally thick and relies more on skill than athleticism.

I don't think he'll get enough minutes to have an impact but if he does I could see him being being a bit of a change up to the rest of the Jazz' offensive weapons. In that as we all know Jazz is a 3 and/or paint scoring emphasis but it never hurts to have a little diversity in players skills/strengths and as long as he can be efficient with it Paschall can take advantage of the openings when the defense overplays the 3 and paint on defense by hitting that FT line and elbow 15'-16' jump shots.

While Quin's offense emphasizes the 3 and paint shots he has said on occasion an open shot is a good shot (in reference to mid range) with the caveat on not just settling for them.

A big problem that I have with any Paschall comparisons is that he can't rebound like any of the guys he is compared to. It's a hard for me to argue for making someone a small ball 5 if their TRB% is <10.