What's new

Game Thread Oct 06, 2021 06:30PM MT: Jazz at Mavericks (Preseason)

Added to Calendar: 10-06-21

Could someone help me understand Butler's contract details? I'm pretty sure we have him on a 2 year deal, but what happens after that? Will he be restricted? Can we go over the cap to keep him? Will not picking him up in the first round end up costing us?
He’s on a two year deal and then restricted. I loved him and really preferred to take him in the first round and give him a 4 year deal. We should be able to retain him if he turns out to be awesome but if we took him in the second round that was basically the only deal we could offer under the cba. You have to have space or a cap exception to go longer.

I mean he wants to win and The way it looks, Butler increases those odds. I’m not too worried about him not getting minutes assuming he continues to look like one of the better players on the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure how you keep him off the floor.

Really wondering about the best health protocol for him .... but if course I’ll never have any good info to speculate with.
Resting Mike Don JC and Joe will get him some minutes. I think he’ll play plenty but some nights he may get dnp when we are fully healthy. Honestly getting 15-20 minutes a night for 3-4 games in a row and then taking a few games off may be best for his development and knee. He has some time to recover and evaluate his screw ups.

Also if Butler gets really good… it’s preseason so we prolly need some cold water… but if he’s really good you can move JC for something you need. Butler might provide that bench scoring while also keeping others involved.

Resting Mike Don JC and Joe will get him some minutes. I think he’ll play plenty but some nights he may get dnp when we are fully healthy. Honestly getting 15-20 minutes a night for 3-4 games in a row and then taking a few games off may be best for his development and knee. He has some time to recover and evaluate his screw ups.

What’cha talkin bout Willis? He’s never screwed up in his life!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

damn watching butler highlights right now and man does he look SOLID. He has that stop and go and change of gears ability. Thats massive, hes going to be really damn good.
He definitely looks like a legit NBA player. Such a steal at the 40th pick. Hopefully he stays healthy (like not just for the Jazz's sake, but for his sake as a person too), as he'll be probably the best pick since Millsap in the 2nd round for the Jazz.

The Mavs announcers likened him to Isiah Thomas and Chris Paul. Take that with a grain of salt but that’s pretty high marks for his second career game.
Dereck Harper also said he had no idea what position Udoka was suited for in the NBA and that he didn't look big enough to guard Boban. So.....

I'm not sure about this, or really an expert here, but I was thinking it would be easier to develop with a consistent 10 minutes of knowing exactly what his role is, vs being thrown in to lots of random situations based on resting guys.

Assuming everyone is healthy, I doubt Quin rests guys more than the occasional back to back. That would be far too many DNPs in my opinion.

I'm not sure about this, or really an expert here, but I was thinking it would be easier to develop with a consistent 10 minutes of knowing exactly what his role is, vs being thrown in to lots of random situations based on resting guys.

Assuming everyone is healthy, I doubt Quin rests guys more than the occasional back to back. That would be far too many DNPs in my opinion.
I don’t know, he rested Conley a little, i think he sat one game of every back to back and he still wasn’t available for most of the post season and Don was also not healthy and probably wouldn’t have played if it was the regular season. These guys need to be healthy come playoff time, I think they need more rest and if Butler is as good as he looked so far in preseason, then that’s exactly how he needs to be used, with his knees the way they supposedly are, it would probably be wise to use Butler in this manner to give Don, Conley, and Ingles some extra rest, not too worried about JC, knock on wood.

The move Butler put on Zinger with the double crossover was very mean. The step back threes he hit were super smooth and likely where he does most of his damage... but those shifty crossover moves he's shown are fun AF.

I'm so glad we got him.

I'm telling yall... I didn't watch much college basketball... but tuned into Baylor games occasionally to watch Mitchell... always came away more impressed with Butler. Then in the tourney he was just a murderer. I think the kid does winning stuff and just has a game that will help teams win.

I'm worried if Doke is going to be an NBA center. He looked lost on defense and that's the last thing the Jazz need is a backup center that sucks on defense.

I'm worried if Doke is going to be an NBA center. He looked lost on defense and that's the last thing the Jazz need is a backup center that sucks on defense.

No need to worry - he's not an NBA Center. His ceiling is to fill in for Rudy or Hassan if they get hurt and not totally **** things up.

Jazz should never draft a player like him again.

He dominated Summer League as I recall. He'll be fine, strong and athletic....he just makes a lot of rookie/second year mistakes. I remember when Gobert was a liability on the floor as well and look at him now!

Dereck Harper also said he had no idea what position Udoka was suited for in the NBA and that he didn't look big enough to guard Boban. So.....
Ya, that was weird, I mean Boban makes most centers look small Udoka is definitely more than big enough as a center, but he’s just not good, has only the basics of being a center, no real skills beyond that, and even then, he’s not that good. My god we passed up a lot of good players for a guy that was expected to be second round. Our scouting department is horrible at times.
The move Butler put on Zinger with the double crossover was very mean. The step back threes he hit were super smooth and likely where he does most of his damage... but those shifty crossover moves he's shown are fun AF.

I'm so glad we got him.
This is the move the announcer used as to why he compared him to a young Thomas.

He dominated Summer League as I recall. He'll be fine, strong and athletic....he just makes a lot of rookie/second year mistakes. I remember when Gobert was a liability on the floor as well and look at him now!
Lots of guys dominate summer league, but aren’t nba players Dok might be a poor poor poor mans less skilled Dwight Howard.

Also, Gobert was a beast from the get go, raw, but he was useful on defense and everyone on Jazzfanz couldn’t figure out why Corbin wouldn’t use him more. Even at a young age and how terrible this team was back then, he was one of the main reasons we were more competitive then we should’ve been. Even then his defense was a game changer despite him being raw and inexperienced.

I'm not sure if Gobert was ever a liability on the floor. He spent his rookie year on a terrible team with a coach who had no clue how to use him.

In his 2nd year he had a humongously positive impact right away and his minutes going up was the main reason the Jazz started winning.