What's new

Game Thread Oct 06, 2021 06:30PM MT: Jazz at Mavericks (Preseason)

Added to Calendar: 10-06-21

I think Dok is pretty good defensively, but he can only play for 5 mins at a time. After that, his effort level goes to ****. It was all he could do to run up and down the floor last night. During Summer League, Dok played in 5 - 6 minute bursts, and his energy level was good.

A guy who is 280 lbs isn't going to be able to run and play at the pace the Jazz and Mavs played at last night for more than a few minutes at a time. He just gets run off the floor.

It's not fatigued, although I agree he gets fatigued very quickly. He's been bad the instant he's been on the court both games. He's getting cooked at the rim and is always out of position. It's the preseason, maybe he just had a couple awful games. Or maybe it's that he's not playing in SL anymore and he can't compete with real NBA players. Either way, there are no silver linings about how he's played so far. He's been the worst player on the court both times.

It's not fatigued, although I agree he gets fatigued very quickly. He's been bad the instant he's been on the court both games. He's getting cooked at the rim and is always out of position. It's the preseason, maybe he just had a couple awful games. Or maybe it's that he's not playing in SL anymore and he can't compete with real NBA players. Either way, there are no silver linings about how he's played so far. He's been the worst player on the court both times.
Dok needs to join a gym and get a personal trainer.

So Locke was taking on his podcast today about how Butler was some defensive liability and would need to play with Gobert to make his minutes work. I think he was basing this mostly on his body size.

I'm not sure I agree with locke on this. Butler seemed to do just fine defensively. Not amazing, but good by Jazz standards. Moved his feet well, stayed in front of his guy, played smart.

Thoughts?

So Locke was taking on his podcast today about how Butler was some defensive liability and would need to play with Gobert to make his minutes work. I think he was basing this mostly on his body size.

I'm not sure I agree with locke on this. Butler seemed to do just fine defensively. Not amazing, but good by Jazz standards. Moved his feet well, stayed in front of his guy, played smart.

Thoughts?
I believe it means that his read is that Quin isn’t likely to play him and he’s getting ahead of this by attempting to palify (I may have made this word up) an explanation.

Thoughts?

I haven't seen him play enough, but he may struggle guarding bigger players. He couldn't handle Luka at all when they were matched up, though you can't judge him based on that. I'm concerned about the Jazz's lack of length and athleticism on the perimeter in general. Mitchell, Conley and Clarkson are all really PG-sized by today's standards.

I haven't seen him play enough, but he may struggle guarding bigger players. He couldn't handle Luka at all when they were matched up, though you can't judge him based on that. I'm concerned about the Jazz's lack of length and athleticism on the perimeter in general. Mitchell, Conley and Clarkson are all really PG-sized by today's standards.
I thought Spida was taller than he appears to be. According to Yahoo Conley and he are both 6'1" .

i

Thoughts?
I think he was all Big 12 on defense or some ****. It’s a projection because he’s a rookie and he’s small. I don’t see him as a guy you’d target and honestly think JC will be a bigger liability by seasons end. He likely takes some lumps early in the season. He moves well laterally but may only end up being averagish on defense because of lack of physical tools. I don’t think he’s ever George Hill but I also don’t think he’s ever gonna be as bad as say Trey Burke.

I’m not really worried about Butler on defense. If we play our typical style it almost doesn’t matter how bad the perimeter guys are. That’s kinda the point, Gobert does everything.

If we intend to play a more versatile stile where everyone pitches in, I think he can add to the defense by creating turnovers. Butler was an all conference defender and led the Big 12 in steals (over Davion Mitchell). He’s a ballhawk, just have to make sure we don’t turn him into a statue like we did with Don.

Long term I think Butler and Don could actually create some havoc despite their size because both have the ability to play passing lanes.

Boban does that to everybody if you let him get to his spots. Hell he was on fire last night regardless who was on him. According to last night he even strokes the three better than Zinger!
He hit back to back 3's followed by a no-look assist. Every time I watch the Jazz here in Dallas a new random guy becomes GOAT.
Last time Josh Richardson became Steph Curry, this time Boban became Jokic. Next time will probably be Lebron Kleber...

Here is some Jazz related stuff I saw in the past couple of days. Former Stars coach Martin Schiller got fired from his Euro gig after he brought in Mudiay and Tyler Cavanaugh. Yogi is signing with a team in Greece. Kenneth Faried signed with CSKA Moscow probably putting Bolomboy on life support. Last night in the Bucks win two guys with Utah ties had big games: Jordan Nwora and Ellijah Bryant. Nwora played at the Ville and Bryant at BYU and Nwora played a couple of games with the Stars last season. He was drafted behind Dok and Hughes last year. Anyway he had 31 points and 8 boards and Bryant had 22 points 8 boards for the Bucks. Do we have drunks in the scouting office?

Here is some Jazz related stuff I saw in the past couple of days. Former Stars coach Martin Schiller got fired from his Euro gig after he brought in Mudiay and Tyler Cavanaugh. Yogi is signing with a team in Greece. Kenneth Faried signed with CSKA Moscow probably putting Bolomboy on life support. Last night in the Bucks win two guys with Utah ties had big games: Jordan Nwora and Ellijah Bryant. Nwora played at the Ville and Bryant at BYU and Nwora played a couple of games with the Stars last season. He was drafted behind Dok and Hughes last year. Anyway he had 31 points and 8 boards and Bryant had 22 points 8 boards for the Bucks. Do we have drunks in the scouting office?
Nothing the jazz can do if they want to play elsewhere, how do you know the jazz didn’t try. These fringe nba/g league guys are dime a dozen. No need to call the jazz drunk for not signing some run of the mill prospect that know one knows about.

Nothing the jazz can do if they want to play elsewhere, how do you know the jazz didn’t try. These fringe nba/g league guys are dime a dozen. No need to call the jazz drunk for not signing some run of the mill prospect that know one knows about.
I have a feeling Spida knew about Nwora. Just a hunch.