What's new

Game Thread Oct 08, 2023 07:00PM MT: Jazz at Clippers (Preseason)

Added to Calendar: 10-08-23

We did this trade because DA hates 2nd rd picks and Rudy gay
Imagine if we were obligated to give a bunch of minutes to Rudy Gay and “make things work.” We’re doing that with a rich man’s Rudy Gay. Obviously Collins is much younger and much better but the point stands.

Imagine if we were obligated to give a bunch of minutes to Rudy Gay and “make things work.” We’re doing that with a rich man’s Rudy Gay. Obviously Collins is much younger and much better but the point stands.
What that point is? Are we playing a game where we pretend Rudy Gay was never a good player? Or a game where John Collins is not a valid player in modern NBA?

If so, then there is nothing to discuss. But you should hope you are wrong.

I don't care about preseason games per se, but something about this iteration of the Jazz is just... off. At first glance, you'd think that this team could have the same type of energy as the group that started last season – you know, bunch of guys looking for a fresh start, playing unselfish basketball, loose but sharp, no egos or overt agendas, everybody buying in.

But I'm just not seeing that. Despite all the newcomers, IMO this team is extremely similar to the one that finished last season. Weird, unbalanced roster full of guys in roles way too big for their skills, playing chaotic streetball, with ambiguous (to put it mildly) team goals.

I guess it all somehow comes down to THT. I didn't enjoy watching the 2nd half of last season after he was given a bright green light. And I worry that behind the scenes, he's again being appointed the true tank commander, the guy who gives us the best chance to lose if featured heavily and allowed to throw up his circus shots to entertain the casuals. I'm not sure I can stomach 82 games of the type of THT we saw against the Clippers. And I definitely can't stomach tanking.

The trouble is, so far all signs point to a tank job. Fans were led to believe that we were "in" the Jrue race, but I think that's BS. If we really wanted to improve the backcourt in order to make the playoffs this season, we could have done it in a number of ways in the offseason. Our eggs were never all in one basket. Now it's like, "Oh well, since we didn't get Jrue, I guess we need to hand the team over to THT again". That's laughable. The fact is that this team needs a lead point guard in the worst way, and Ainge did nothing to fill that hole. Nothing.
What is off is that you seemlingly dislike every player we have. And you often sound like you dislike Hardy and our FO as well. At least you keep calling everyone out and indicate that the sky is falling every turn (including after preseason game #1, lmao). Now even the Jrue offer was just a conspiracy to throw off the fans... because it makes A TON OF SENSE to overhype and oversell the team and set up everyone for disappointment. Big brain move by DA.

Remind me again, why do you waste your time watching and discussing this garbage?

Now even the Jrue offer was just a conspiracy to throw off the fans... because it makes A TON OF SENSE to overhype and oversell the team and set up everyone for disappointment. Big brain move by DA.
My point was very clear. Ainge never intended to improve the PG situation in the short term, even though it's one massive hole right now, and a clear need. We literally have no starter level playmaker on the roster and the season is just around the corner. That's preposterous, and with all the assets DA has in his disposal, he could have made it happen in a number of ways in the offseason. Forget Jrue – just get a dude who can run a team. You don't have to pay a guy like that $30 million per year. They're out there.

Again, I don't believe we were ever seriously in the Jrue hunt. The rumors were just some misdirection to make the fanbase think we're not (stealth) tanking this year. It could be that we actually floated an offer of sorts, but at that point it was probably clear to all parties that Jrue was never going to sign an extension here anyway.

My problem with all of this is that I want to watch basketball where winning games is the #1 objective for everyone, from the front office down. The 2nd half of last season was quite enough for me on the intentional losing front, thank you. No mas.

Getting Jrue was always a pipe dream, but it would have been proof that we're aiming for the playoffs. Right now, there's zero proof of that. If you're happy watching 23-59 ball in the name of "developing" lottery picks, more power to you. We all choose our ways of self-deception, I guess.

Last edited:
My point was very clear. Ainge never intended to improve the PG situation in the short term, even though it's one massive hole right now, and a clear need. We literally have no starter level playmaker on the roster and the season is just around the corner. That's preposterous, and with all the assets DA has in his disposal, he could have made it happen in a number of ways in the offseason. Forget Jrue – just get a dude who can run a team. You don't have to pay a guy like that $30 million per year. They're out there.

Again, I don't believe we were ever seriously in the Jrue hunt. The rumors were just some misdirection to make the fanbase think we're not (stealth) tanking this year. It could be that we actually floated an offer of sorts, but at that point it was probably clear to all parties that Jrue was never going to sign an extension here.

My problem with all of this is that I want to watch basketball where winning games is the #1 objective for everyone, from the front office down. The 2nd half of last season was quite enough for me on the intentional losing front, thank you. No mas.

Getting Jrue was always a pipe dream, but it would have been proof that we're aiming for the playoffs. Right now, there's zero proof of that.
Why would Ainge raise expectations with ghost trade rumors and playoff talk if he plans to tank? What is there to gain by pushing the team to try hard and get as bad a pick as possible if he really wants as good a pick as possible?

Forget Jrue. Make that make sense on a fundamental level.

Why would Ainge raise expectations with ghost trade rumors and playoff talk if he plans to tank? What is there to gain by pushing the team to try hard and get as bad a pick as possible if he really wants as good a pick as possible?

Forget Jrue. Make that make sense on a fundamental level.

Its tremendous downside

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

Dang, I forgot that only mindless cheerleading is allowed.

I wanna see wins. As many as possible, as soon as possible. Simple man, simple pleasures.
Eh. Don't have to cheerlead mindlessly. But maybe when you talk about how our current roster will suck on offense and then someone gives you evidence to the contrary you could respond with something like *huh, i didn't realize the offense was so good last year without Conley. Maybe we won't be as bad as I thought" or something.
On other words, maybe every 10th post or something you could post something positive.
As for wanting wins and wanting them as soon as possible..... we literally won our first game and are 1-0 so far. We literally got a win as soon as we possibly could. Smile. Maybe save the negativity for the losses.