What's new

Game Thread Oct 08, 2023 07:00PM MT: Jazz at Clippers (Preseason)

Added to Calendar: 10-08-23

I agree with most of this, but I just barely got done watching the second half and Keyonte's defense was not passable, it was pretty bad. He was trying, but he was getting beat off the dribble and was giving up on plays. I really think this could limit his playing time.

I may be off there. I guess it wasn't a glaring as Sexton's. I was watching most of the game on my phone with the 49ers game on the tv with my nephews.

I guess I saw him moving well a few times and seemed to be engaged and not completely out of place.
Like remember Grayson Allen as a rookie... that's what I expected. He was so so so bad on that end and made it look so easy to score on him.

No Sensabaugh was kind of telling last night…I fully expected to see him play. I’m assuming he is still somewhat injured or we would’ve seen him.
My guess is preseason him and Simone will alternate a bit. I also think this will be a redshirt year for him. Get him through a season healthy... get him reps in the G League. Maybe some late season rotation minutes if things get out of hand. May take a trade or injury to push him into the rotation. Its hard to play 20 guys... I think we see him Tuesday.

We also looked like **** in a Portland game I believe. Hardy is gonna try some stuff. I think this first 20 games or so could be kinda frustrating. There are just some roster things that I kinda thought would be an issue and yesterday we had some hints that those might be real. Everything is just the smallest of small sample sizes now... no reason to freak out.
Yeah we will win and lose games early by the strength (or weakness) of our shooting and also win against some teams just by simply owning the paint and boards.

But in order to maximize our success we need to stabilize the backcourt roles and rotations. That might also mean pulling the plug on the Sexton PG experiment, no matter how much Sexton wants to be that guy.

Yeah we will win and lose games early by the strength (or weakness) of our shooting and also win against some teams just by simply owning the paint and boards.

But in order to maximize our success we need to stabilize the backcourt roles and rotations. That might also mean pulling the plug on the Sexton PG experiment, no matter how much Sexton wants to be that guy.
Having too many developing players and these similar but different combo guards and trying to fit them all into the rotation is just too much. I like THT in a 6th man bench creator role... I like Sexton there too... JC on a championship team is that guy as well.

I really wish we had done the Jrue trade, or that we had landed one of the Thompsons (Ausar looked like the perfect glue wing prospect with some playmaking ability), or that we had just stayed out of the John Collins business. We need a consolidation trade of some sort... Ainge probably likes it this way but for me I like more clarity.

Having too many developing players and these similar but different combo guards and trying to fit them all into the rotation is just too much. I like THT in a 6th man bench creator role... I like Sexton there too... JC on a championship team is that guy as well.

I really wish we had done the Jrue trade, or that we had landed one of the Thompsons (Ausar looked like the perfect glue wing prospect with some playmaking ability), or that we had just stayed out of the John Collins business. We need a consolidation trade of some sort... Ainge probably likes it this way but for me I like more clarity.
But one positive is that Ochai has taken steps. His rim finishing looked really good and he was visibly more comfortable while dribbling.

I know you arent a big fan but that early drive with nifty up and under layup at the start looked smooth and he looked like a net positive despite missing all his outside shots.

I think Taylor gonna spend like 25-40 games in the g league with Sensabaugh. It will be viewed as somewhat of a failure but will be good for him.

I'm currently predicting Hendricks has a similar season to Agbaji last year. He needs some time to get adjusted to NBA speed and to learn where to be on offense and defense. He'll probably play a few spot minutes and spend some time in the G-League for the first half of the year. I think/hope he'll be ready for real rotation minutes by the second half of the year.

His rebounding looks like it is clearly a translatable skill, so that's good news.

Damn, I thought I was a pessimist, but this is next level. Especially after one pre-season game. Guess we just give up on them now.
I'm personally excited to what Hardy comes up with. Kessler is going to shut the paint down, ala Rudy. Laurie will get cooking and they will find some flow. Fun season incoming imo!
Don't worry. It's just my absurd way to get sure my Jazz mood can only go upstairs for the rest of the season!

Right, we have three 6th man attack-the-rim guards in THT, Sexton, and Clarkson. I predict Sexton, if he stays healthy and is not traded, will have a good season.

Last edited:
I'm currently predicting Hendricks has a similar season to Agbaji last year. He needs some time to get adjusted to NBA speed and to learn where to be on offense and defense. He'll probably play a few spot minutes and spend some time in the G-League for the first half of the year. I think/hope he'll be ready for real rotation minutes by the second half of the year.

His rebounding looks like it is clearly a translatable skill, so that's good news.
Yeah it will depend on the first half of the year. If we are tanking down the stretch he should get a bunch of minutes. If we are competing I think he may only get spot minutes unless there is an injury.

I think Taylor gonna spend like 25-40 games in the g league with Sensabaugh. It will be viewed as somewhat of a failure but will be good for him.

The John Collins conundrum gonna lead to 5,000 trade proposals by the deadline. I don't know how you maximize him, the team and increase his value with our personnel. Move him to the bench would likely allow him to do what he needs to be most effective... but would put a dent in his trade value imo. I think if you start him you need a backcourt that can shoot better than what we put out there.... need a setup man. I hope Hardy scraps that lineup he started with yesterday and gives us a different look Tuesday.
Unless Collins gets thrown in to some larger trade where we’re grabbing something [Cousin Eddie]real nice[/Cousin Eddie] and packing him with a bunch of picks, I believe that Collins is essentially immovable because of the infection paradox. Collins’ value will be low, as we’ve seen, and no motivation to make a move for his contract. As this teeter-totters and if or when he raised his value, so too will there be a corresponding rise in our hesitancy to deal him. The more he increases his value, the less likely we will be to seeing him as movable, sans the above scenario where he’s moved with picks.

It’s a philosophical debate that killed Plato, Aristotle, Socrates and Vizzini. He cannot be moved from whence he is.

Unless Collins gets thrown in to some larger trade where we’re grabbing something [Cousin Eddie]real nice[/Cousin Eddie] and packing him with a bunch of picks, I believe that Collins is essentially immovable because of the infection paradox. Collins’ value will be low, as we’ve seen, and no motivation to make a move for his contract. As this teeter-totters and if or when he raised his value, so too will there be a corresponding rise in our hesitancy to deal him. The more he increases his value, the less likely we will be to seeing him as movable, sans the above scenario where he’s moved with picks.

It’s a philosophical debate that killed Plato, Aristotle, Socrates and Vizzini. He cannot be moved from whence he is.
If he’s a little better I think there is a sweet spot where the right team sends us something for him. Part of Atlantas issue is they couldn’t take back long term salary… we can.

But yeah basically this… but if he’s playing well it means the shooting is better and it’s working so I’ll have no complaints if we just keep him. I just don’t see a scenario where it isn’t clunky.

Damn, I thought I was a pessimist, but this is next level. Especially after one pre-season game. Guess we just give up on them now.
I'm personally excited to what Hardy comes up with. Kessler is going to shut the paint down, ala Rudy. Laurie will get cooking and they will find some flow. Fun season incoming imo!
I'm on board with you. A fun Jazz season coming up.

THT is like my oldest daughter… there’s a lot of good there but there is just so much extra… like he can’t help himself… if he’s in the game there will be so much THT. Just dial back the extra by 25%. THT/Sexton might be the worst backcourt pairing to put with the starters. Not sure what the thought is there.
I would like to meet your daughter to understand this post. Without knowing her, I am a bit mystified by wtf you're talking about.

I would like to meet your daughter to understand this post. Without knowing her, I am a bit mystified by wtf you're talking about.
Her personality is that everything has extra drama to it... she talks in accents and constantly pronounce words in weird ways... you ask her a straight forward question and it gets a unserious overly comedic attempt at an answer. Every outfit is loud. Its hilarious at times and sometimes I just need her to dial it back... she's 13 so emotions are also dialed up to a billion most of the time. I find myself saying things like "can you please talk normal for a minute" and "please stop... its not the time" which only seems to add fuel to it. Like THT... hey if one spin move is good.... hows about 6 spin moves in a ROW!!!!

There is just so much extra... when I watch THT I just think... do less. Maybe he can't do less and keep the good stuff though.

Collins looked like a world class volleyball player playing his first game in the NBA. He was lost. Give it time and he should find his place, etc.

He may still be trade bait in the long run, but not until Ainge increases his value somehow.

Give me Dunn as a starter please! He wants it more than everyone else. He competes. He has the tools. If you watch individual games ignoring age and history he looks like a difference maker. Dunn starting gets us to the playoffs.

Key needs to use his speed on both sides of the court. Not just offense.

I wish my kids competed like Sexton.

Hendricks first shot was pure. The rest were duds. I like the Ochai g-league timeline for Hendricks.

Once the clippers sat their starters our youth dominated, but we couldn't do compete against their starters.

Her personality is that everything has extra drama to it... she talks in accents and constantly pronounce words in weird ways... you ask her a straight forward question and it gets a unserious overly comedic attempt at an answer. Every outfit is loud. Its hilarious at times and sometimes I just need her to dial it back... she's 13 so emotions are also dialed up to a billion most of the time. I find myself saying things like "can you please talk normal for a minute" and "please stop... its not the time" which only seems to add fuel to it. Like THT... hey if one spin move is good.... hows about 6 spin moves in a ROW!!!!

There is just so much extra... when I watch THT I just think... do less. Maybe he can't do less and keep the good stuff though.
Got it. Ha! 13 year olds are the best these days... I have one.

Sounds like she needs to feed her wack job more. Introduce her to Homestarrunner.com. Watch UHF. Give her a license to be wacky with you and maybe that will contrast the less wacky moments.

If all else fails, you will both laugh a dozen times.

Give me Dunn as a starter please! He wants it more than everyone else. He competes. He has the tools. If you watch individual games ignoring age and history he looks like a difference maker. Dunn starting gets us to the playoffs.

I like Dunn when he's out there. Not sure if he's the answer but he might be the answer in the short term. Like THT, Dunn seems to be able to get to the rim but the difference is that when Dunn gets to the rim the ball goes in and when THT gets to the rim he throws up a prayer that might occasionally go in. It seemed like toward the end of last year THT was improving on that but yesterday it seemed more like same old same old. But it's one game. Obviously Hardy sees what goes on every day in practice so I trust he'll at least make an informed decision.