What's new

Game Thread Oct 08, 2023 07:00PM MT: Jazz at Clippers (Preseason)

Added to Calendar: 10-08-23

Got it. Ha! 13 year olds are the best these days... I have one.

Sounds like she needs to feed her wack job more. Introduce her to Homestarrunner.com. Watch UHF. Give her a license to be wacky with you and maybe that will contrast the less wacky moments.

If all else fails, you will both laugh a dozen times.
Oh she's a fun hang. We do a bunch together... its understanding time and place that is the struggle. That funny twerking dance you do is hilarious when we are hanging out with our family or your friends... nana and papa ain't with it though.

She's a drama kid and has found her place (as much as any 13 yo)... sometimes everything is a production though. She is kind of like John Ralphio from Parks and Rec.

Just a few less spin moves here and there... thats all.

I don't care about preseason games per se, but something about this iteration of the Jazz is just... off. At first glance, you'd think that this team could have the same type of energy as the group that started last season – you know, bunch of guys looking for a fresh start, playing unselfish basketball, loose but sharp, no egos or overt agendas, everybody buying in.

But I'm just not seeing that. Despite all the newcomers, IMO this team is extremely similar to the one that finished last season. Weird, unbalanced roster full of guys in roles way too big for their skills, playing chaotic streetball, with ambiguous (to put it mildly) team goals.

I guess it all somehow comes down to THT. I didn't enjoy watching the 2nd half of last season after he was given a bright green light. And I worry that behind the scenes, he's again being appointed the true tank commander, the guy who gives us the best chance to lose if featured heavily and allowed to throw up his circus shots to entertain the casuals. I'm not sure I can stomach 82 games of the type of THT we saw against the Clippers. And I definitely can't stomach tanking.

The trouble is, so far all signs point to a tank job. Fans were led to believe that we were "in" the Jrue race, but I think that's BS. If we really wanted to improve the backcourt in order to make the playoffs this season, we could have done it in a number of ways in the offseason. Our eggs were never all in one basket. Now it's like, "Oh well, since we didn't get Jrue, I guess we need to hand the team over to THT again". That's laughable. The fact is that this team needs a lead point guard in the worst way, and Ainge did nothing to fill that hole. Nothing.

Last edited:
I don't care about preseason games per se, but something about this iteration of the Jazz is just... off. At first glance, you'd think that this team could have the same type of energy as the group that started last season – you know, bunch of guys looking for a fresh start, playing unselfish basketball, loose but sharp, no egos or overt agendas, everybody buying in.

But I'm just not seeing that. Despite all the newcomers, IMO this team is extremely similar to the one that finished last season. Weird, unbalanced roster full of guys in roles way too big for their skills, playing chaotic streetball, with ambiguous (to put it mildly) team goals.

I guess it all somehow comes down to THT. I didn't enjoy watching the 2nd half of last season after he was given a bright green light. And I worry that behind the scenes, he's again being appointed the true tank commander, the guy who gives us the best chance to lose if featured heavily and allowed to throw up his circus shots to entertain the casuals. I'm not sure I can stomach 82 games of the type of THT we saw against the Clippers. And I definitely can't stomach tanking.

The trouble is, so far all signs point to a tank job. Fans were led to believe that we were "in" the Jrue race, but I think that's BS. If we really wanted to improve the backcourt in order to make the playoffs this season, we could have done it in a number of ways in the offseason. Our eggs were never all in one basket. Now it's like, "Oh well, since we didn't get Jrue, I guess we need to hand the team over to THT again". That's laughable. The fact is that this team needs a lead point guard in the worst way, and Ainge did nothing to fill that hole. Nothing.
I mean I don't see how you could watch a preseason game, played in Hawaii, against a healthy Clippers squad that has stayed mostly intact, that we competed with well enough to win the game, and come out the other side with no hope.

And we just DRAFTED our lead guard. I'm not really interested in paying a premium to bypass him.

Just met Shaun Livingston and gave a massage to his wife. He was drafted by clippers but as we all know played the best of his career in Golden State. They just moved to Las Vegas. They were very nice people.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

Just met Shaun Livingston and gave a massage to his wife. He was drafted by clippers but as we all know played the best of his career in Golden State. They just moved to Las Vegas. They were very nice people.

eryhh.jpg

Nice

David Goggins lives here in Vegas too. I’m next in line to work on him. Shaun is apparently a big fan and has read his book

On a side note I’ve also got my medical massage certification. So I’m “elite” therapist now

I think Sexton will be fine. He played well for us last season despite being banged up half the time.

I wouldn't be surprised if THT is the one who is traded. When he plays hot he's a beast and some team will bite on him for bench scoring or if their starter gets injured.

Watching lakers, spurs, okc our jazz players need to level up their game especially those who are trying to earn the pg spot. Chillin is over, nba starts in preseason.

Also I’m inside the MSG Sphere rn. IMG_7736.JPGIMG_7735.JPG
About to get the “Earth experience”
Seating seems a little tight and almost forces an 90 degree posture. Don’t come early as they don’t let you through the doors until start time. Bar on every floor so don’t wait at the Catina on 1st floor.

Many conclusions there for not caring about a preseason game. Overreacting a bit?. Maybe

Also I’m inside the MSG Sphere rn. View attachment 15169View attachment 15170
About to get the “Earth experience”
Seating seems a little tight and almost forces an 90 degree posture. Don’t come early as they don’t let you through the doors until start time. Bar on every floor so don’t wait at the Catina on 1st floor.

Just got my U2 tix for December. The question is, to shroom or not to shroom.

I think it's important to recognize how long, athletic and defensively skilled guys like Paul George, Kawhi Leonard and Terrence Mann are, especially if your team doesn't match their pace and intensity, and you can't space the floor out past the 3pt line. They completely clogged the paint and shut off the Jazz's ball movement. Then they collapsed on our bigs when they tried to drive and establish themselves in the paint. I know that Sexton had moments that looked bad, but his game is predicated on driving and kicking, and he had nowhere to go against the Clips' defense. You can't compare the 1st half of the game with the 2nf half, when the Clippers' primary players were off the floor.

The biggest problems I saw were:
** No one is going to guard THT out on the perimeter. He had a couple makes from deep early, then bricked the rest of the night, save for an errant shot that banked in. The Clippers were backing way off and let him loft the ball at the rim all night. Other teams will disrespect his shooting like he's Westbrook, until he proves otherwise.
** I don't know what to do with John Collins. He looked like he had less shooting and self-creation that Rudy Gay did. I think you have to play him at the 5 next to Lauri and Olynyk and let him slash and post.
** Sexton is too small to defend NBA players who have more than a couple inches on him. This is partly why I would bring him off the bench and let him attack 2nd units.
** Regardless of the Jazz's guard rotation, they need someone on the wing to be a ball mover and glue guy. Olynyk did a fair amount of that last night, but the roster as a whole has a real lack of ball movement.

If it were me, I would start Clarkson (for scoring), Ochai (for 3D and athleticism), Lauri (for 3-level offense), Olynyk (for spacing and passing), and Kessler (for rim presence).

With the 2nd unit, I'd play Dunn, Keyonte, Collins, Yurtseven and either Samanic or Hendricks.

I'm not sure what to do with Fontecchio, Horton-Tucker or Sexton. I get that THT and Sexton can be disruptive and change-of-pace guys, but there needs to be some consistency. I honestly don't think the Jazz expected THT to opt in.

Last edited:
I think it's important to recognize how long, athletic and defensively skilled guys like Paul George, Kawhi Leonard and Terrence Mann are, especially if your team doesn't match their pace and intensity, and you can't space the floor out past the 3pt line. They completely clogged the paint and shut off the Jazz's ball movement. Then they collapsed on our bigs when they tried to drive and establish themselves in the paint. I know that Sexton had moments that looked bad, but his game is predicated on driving and kicking, and he had nowhere to go against the Clips' defense. You can't compare the 1st half of the game with the 2nf half, when the Clippers' primary players were off the floor.

The biggest problems I saw were:
** No one is going to guard THT out on the perimeter. He had a couple makes from deep early, then bricked the rest of the night, save for an errant shot that banked in. The Clippers were backing way off and let him loft the ball at the rim all night. Other teams will disrespect his shooting like he's Westbrook, until he proves otherwise.
** I don't know what to do with John Collins. He looked like he had less shooting and self-creation that Rudy Gay did. I think you have to play him at the 5 next to Lauri and Olynyk and let him slash and post.
** Sexton is too small to defend NBA players who have more than a couple inches on him. This is partly why I would bring him off the bench and let him attack 2nd units.
** Regardless of the Jazz's guard rotation, they need someone on the wing to be a ball mover and glue guy. Olynyk did a fair amount of that last night, but the roster as a whole has a real lack of ball movement.
Sexton i noticed before that alley oop to collins he raised his hand and pointed up. It’s an alley oop signal that shouldn’t be done ever at nba level.

Collins needs to play on a spaced floor with an elite playmaker, like Aaron Gordon playing off of Jokic. Collins is a play finisher who needs to be set up.

Collins needs to play on a spaced floor with an elite playmaker, like Aaron Gordon playing off of Jokic. Collins is a play finisher who needs to be set up.
This is one of the things that baffles me about the trade. We have to build things around him, to some degree, for him to be successful. “Build around” may be too strong of a phrase, but we have to cater to it for it to be successful. But we have absolutely no business building around or catering to him and doing so is absolutely unnecessary. I’m not saying that we will, but if we don’t then the whole thing was kind of pointless. Not that we should. But it begs the question of why we made a pointless trade. I believe the realistic opportunity cost is larger than the realistic benefit of keeping him, whether in terms of acquired assets that he’s parlayed into or on-court value realized by us. Tasking Hardy with “hey, see how these pieces fit” also seems like a fruitless endeavor for an iteration that won’t be, or at least shouldn’t be, part of a long-term plan.

This is one of the things that baffles me about the trade. We have to build things around him, to some degree, for him to be successful. “Build around” may be too strong of a phrase, but we have to cater to it for it to be successful. But we have absolutely no business building around or catering to him and doing so is absolutely unnecessary. I’m not saying that we will, but if we don’t then the whole thing was kind of pointless. Not that we should. But it begs the question of why we made a pointless trade. I believe the realistic opportunity cost is larger than the realistic benefit of keeping him, whether in terms of acquired assets that he’s parlayed into or on-court value realized by us. Tasking Hardy with “hey, see how these pieces fit” also seems like a fruitless endeavor for an iteration that won’t be, or at least shouldn’t be, part of a long-term plan.

We did this trade because DA hates 2nd rd picks and Rudy gay