What's new

Game Thread Oct 19, 2023 08:00PM MT: Jazz at Kings (Preseason)

Added to Calendar: 10-19-23

But the point really only works if Randolph and Dirk were not showing exciting potential and ability to be good NBA players in those games, which isn’t the case. Even if they weren’t jumping out of the gym.

Production AND talent is preferable (this is where you would put your ZBo and Dirk examples)

Talent with no production can still show you something, especially in the preseason before dudes are even 20 years old. (Green and Minor go here, but so do a million others. Many successful, many not)

Production with no talent is the one where I really can’t think of any examples.
Joe Ingles is probably an example. Dude was a meme before he tore people's hearts out. The Plumlees probably qualify as well.

But the point really only works if Randolph and Dirk were not showing exciting potential and ability to be good NBA players in those games, which isn’t the case. Even if they weren’t jumping out of the gym.

Production AND talent is preferable (this is where you would put your ZBo and Dirk examples)

Talent with no production can still show you something, especially in the preseason before dudes are even 20 years old. (Green and Minor go here, but so do a million others. Many successful, many not)

Production with no talent is the one where I really can’t think of any examples.
I do think the discussion changes when the terms "flashes" and "crazy athletic plays" changes to "ability to be good nba players" and "exciting potential" and "talent". I think that making threes is "talent" and "an ability of a good nba player" and is "exciting potential" but I dont think making a three is a "flash" or a "crazy athletic play"

When I read the part of your post saying "I'm definitely more interested in flashes than straight stats, especially preseason. I've seen Miller make some crazy athletic plays, and that's the kind of stuff that I'm looking for in preseason." That made me think you were saying that what you want to see is crazy athletic plays. Wow plays. I was saying I dont really care about wow plays nearly as much as putting up good numbers. You can put up good numbers without wow plays imo. Though I too value wow plays and enjoy them as well.

This is going to be a fun season. Im sure there will be many more times this season when I express my opinion on something and get told my opinion is wrong. Im here for it. Its all good man :)

Last edited:
GLeague helps, especially if you are a guy like Hendricks. Playing in the NBA would probably hurt him at this point. He's a timid personality. He needs to play against some scrubs and figure out what his NBA game might look like.

I do think the discussion changes when the words "flashes" and and "crazy athletic plays" changes to "ability to be good nba players" and "exciting potential" and "talent". I think that making threes is "talent" and "an ability of a good nba player" and is "exciting potential" but I dont think making a three is a "flash" or a "crazy athletic play"

When I read the part of your post saying "I'm definitely more interested in flashes than straight stats, especially preseason. I've seen Miller make some crazy athletic plays, and that's the kind of stuff that I'm looking for in preseason." That made me think you were saying that what you want to see is crazy athletic plays. Wow plays. I was saying I dont really care about wow plays nearly as much as putting up good numbers. You can put up good numbers without wow plays imo. Though I too value wow plays and enjoy them as well.

This is going to be a fun season. Im sure there will be many more times this season when I express my opinion on something and get told my opinion is wrong. Im here for it.
Holy ****. You try so hard to miss the point then you take the point then you make up some weird analogy that makes no sense.

Hendricks is an athlete, he's supposed to be athletic and making athletic plays. He's not going to play like Zach Randolph. If Hendricks is an effective NBA player, he will be making athletic plays. I'm not saying he has to do a 360 dunk, but shows flashes of play of him leveraging his athleticism to make good plays. He did not do that. He sat at the 3pt line and forced shots and every dribble drive looked like Stanley

Holy ****. You try so hard to miss the point then you take the point then you make up some weird analogy that makes no sense.

Hendricks is an athlete, he's supposed to be athletic and making athletic plays. He's not going to play like Zach Randolph. If Hendricks is an effective NBA player, he will be making athletic plays. I'm not saying he has to do a 360 dunk, but shows flashes of play of him leveraging his athleticism to make good plays. He did not do that. He sat at the 3pt line and forced shots and every dribble drive looked like Stanley
I agree with that. You are missing the point. I was talking about a specific game from a player named brandon miller who plays for charlotte. He shot poorly and had lots of turnovers. Bawse said that he looked good while shooting poorly and having lots of turnovers. I didn't try to disagree or refute that he looked good while shooting bad and having lots of turnovers. I simply said that my opinion is that looking good matters less to me than shooting good and having low turnovers does. Looking good to me matters as well. Just not as much as producing good numbers Thats it. Hendricks was never even part of the discussion.

I agree with that. You are missing the point. I was talking about a specific game from a player named brandon miller who plays for charlotte. He shot poorly and had lots of turnovers. Bawse said that he looked good while shooting poorly and having lots of turnovers. I didn't try to disagree or refute that he looked good while shooting bad and having lots of turnovers. I simply said that my opinion is that looking good matters less to me than shooting good and having low turnovers does. Looking good to me matters as well. Just not as much as producing good numbers Thats it. Hendricks was never even part of the discussion.
Lmao