What's new

Odds that Snyder is the Jazz coach next season?

What are the odds that Quin is the Jazz coach next season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think it's 50/50 at this point. I also think it's possible that the Jazz want Quin back but he's the one that wants to leave. I know he's still under contract for another year or two but if he wants out badly enough, I think the Jazz would let him.

From Andy Larsen's 'Tripple Team'

I think Snyder’s a really good coach. I don’t think that the Jazz are going to upgrade overall by hiring Mike D’Antoni or Terry Stotts or Alex Jensen or Johnnie Bryant or whoever instead. But, truthfully, at this point, the hope is that a new coach might be able to address the mostly mental problems that the Jazz are facing in the fourth quarter, because it doesn’t matter how big the Jazz lead is before then right now — they’re just going to lose it, anyway.

Look those rumors came out for a reason… his response was so dumb too… he already knows his next stop and the players know he gone… it’s part of the reason they tuning him out.

Players caught him looking at Zillow searching for houses in LA and saw the texts he got from Lebron.

Quin, Mike, and Bojan for Westbrook, unprotected 2026 and 2028 picks, and a handful of 2nds.

And maybe Frank Vogel. Dude’s a good coach. Lebron tried to get Spoelstra fired too. Dude is remarkably dumb for one of the smartest players ever on the court. But Lebron would love Quin; he’s hype and will let him do absolutely anything he wants with somehow even less pushback than he’s ever gotten. Our second-tier fake superstar gets as much leash as Lebron does. Hell, so does Clarkson.

Last edited:
My thoughts:

Quin 100% knows Gobert is gone so he has given up placating him on offense or making other players involve him more. He knows that Mitchell is likely the player he coaches for more years, so it's in his best interest to keep that relationship strong.

So I think Quin stays if Don stays. If they go full rebuild I'd expect a new young coach, maybe off the Snyder tree.

I'm baffled why the local media continues to carry Quin's water. What has Quin done as a head coach overall that proves he's a really good head coach like Andy suggests? From my perspective, his success is pretty similar to what most GOOD or even marginally good head coaches experience in the NBA.

But it certainly hasn't proven VERY GOOD. Hell, even last year when it looked like maybe it was true, and Quin, after leading the Jazz to the best record in the NBA, might actually be a very good head coach, his team went out and collapsed against the Clippers.

But the facts are clear:

Quin has one of the worst playoff win percentages of any active coach who's coached in at least 40 playoff games.

Quin has overseen two of the biggest collapses in Jazz playoff history: blowing a 3-1 series lead vs Denver, despite leading by 15 points in the third quarter of a potential close-out game five. Then, a year later, blowing a 2-0 series lead against the Clippers in the second round and on top of that, blowing a 20+ lead in a must-win game six as they were eliminated.

A 3-12 all-time record in semifinal games.

I guess I just don't understand how you can claim a coach, who has yet to even get out of the second round, is very good.

To put everything into perspective, by the end of his eighth season with the Jazz, which Quin is in currently, Sloan had guided the Jazz to THREE WCF series.

In his ninth and tenth season, he was playing in the NBA Finals. Does anyone think Quin has this team remotely close to that level? Yeah, me either.

That's what I'd consider a very good coach. Quin is a decent regular season coach and a borderline bad playoff coach (boy I got ripped to shreds this time last year for saying I thought Quin was a mediocre playoff coach btw).

I'm baffled why the local media continues to carry Quin's water. What has Quin done as a head coach overall that proves he's a really good head coach like Andy suggests? From my perspective, his success is pretty similar to what most GOOD or even marginally good head coaches experience in the NBA.

But it certainly hasn't proven VERY GOOD. Hell, even last year when it looked like maybe it was true, and Quin, after leading the Jazz to the best record in the NBA, might actually be a very good head coach, his team went out and collapsed against the Clippers.

But the facts are clear:

Quin has one of the worst playoff win percentages of any active coach who's coached in at least 40 playoff games.

Quin has overseen two of the biggest collapses in Jazz playoff history: blowing a 3-1 series lead vs Denver, despite leading by 15 points in the third quarter of a potential close-out game five. Then, a year later, blowing a 2-0 series lead against the Clippers in the second round and on top of that, blowing a 20+ lead in a must-win game six as they were eliminated.

I guess I just don't understand how you can claim a coach, who has yet to even get out of the second round, is very good.

To put everything into perspective, by the end of his eighth season with the Jazz, which Quin is in currently, Sloan had guided the Jazz to THREE WCF series.

In his ninth and tenth season, he was playing in the NBA Finals. Does anyone think Quin has this team remotely close to that level? Yeah, me either.

That's what I'd consider a very good coach. Quin is a decent regular season coach and a borderline bad playoff coach (boy I got ripped to shreds this time last year for saying I thought Quin was a mediocre playoff coach btw).
This post deserves the Pulitzer for journalistic research and persuasive argument!

My thoughts:

Quin 100% knows Gobert is gone so he has given up placating him on offense or making other players involve him more. He knows that Mitchell is likely the player he coaches for more years, so it's in his best interest to keep that relationship strong.

So I think Quin stays if Don stays. If they go full rebuild I'd expect a new young coach, maybe off the Snyder tree.
I agree with this.

Quin is smart and risk-averse - he knows that making decisions to get and keep Donovan's hardcore support is the safe option, and is in the best interest of his career. If he tried to put Mitchell in his place to placate Gobert, it would probably be better for winning, but could end badly for him.

But the facts are clear:

You won’t see media taking aim at coaching or executives. They’re the ones who hold the power in the organization and are more long-term. Even though it may seem brave or risky, it’s relatively safe to criticize the players. Try it’s not nearly as much you put on the line to critique those, though superficially you may gain points for doing so because it appears risky.

How many media offered critiques of DL while he was here? None. The failures were laid at the feet of the players. DL critiques only came out after the fact, when it became safe to say so. We had three all stars last year, the DPOY, the sixth man and the runner up. There’s way too much talent on this team to be getting the results that we see. This is almost exclusively a FO and coaching failure, despite the many shortcomings of the individual players. Any team will have shortcomings and weaknesses. Good teams attempt to minimize and disguise weaknesses while playing to strengths. We do the opposite, and we don’t have enough of a media to call it out because we’re focused on individual player failings (which you will always find) and not zoom out to see what the real problem is.

Don’t worry, though. When Quin is gone, the media will come out and “bravely” discuss all his flaws that has contributed to our failures the past three seasons.

I agree with this.

Quin is smart and risk-averse - he knows that making decisions to get and keep Donovan's hardcore support is the safe option, and is in the best interest of his career. If he tried to put Mitchell in his place to placate Gobert, it would probably be better for winning, but could end badly for him.
I disagree that Quin is risk averse. He decided to go scorched earth with DL and won that battle when DL was fired. If I'm the owner and the rest of management, I would view Quin as the snakiest of snakes.

Does how much the Jazz are struggling now vindicate DL to some degree? He wasn't happy with the way Quin was doing things at times allegedly.