What's new

Off season free agent targets

hawkeye

We can throw max money at a player this off season, so I am curious who would be your target? Whether they sign with us or not is besides the point at this moment. Who would you go after? My top 5 goes something like...

1. Jimmy Butler
2. Kawhi Leonard
3. Draymond Green
4. Kris Middleton
5. Brandon Knight

I would be shocked if Leonard and Butler don't get matched. I would LOVE Matthews back and Middleton I think could be had for a good price. Just seems like slim pickings as far as finding a true difference maker.

Wishful thinking aside. A lineup of Exum, Butler, Hayward, Favors and Gobert makes me fill all tingly. Like when I used to climb the rope gym class..

We can throw max money at a player this off season, so I am curious who would be your target? Whether they sign with us or not is besides the point at this moment. Who would you go after? My top 5 goes something like...

1. Jimmy Butler lol
2. Kawhi Leonard lol
3. Draymond Green Nope
4. Kris Middleton Possibly, but we'd have to overpay and he can be matched.
5. Brandon Knight Don't see it happening.
We never get top free agents, not sure why this year will be different.

I'm starting to see what DL was doing. In his words he has 14-19 mil cap space this summer. Booker plus 14. Does he want EK with that 14 that's left, or does he want somebody else. The answer was and is somebody else. Even if he overpays and max somebody that is a reach, the next year there is 20 mill more cap space and it becomes a rotation player price rather than a max.

So he got a couple of prospects a couple of picks and he gets to go after a FA that he really likes knowing that the year after he will still have tons of space.

This is the year we need sign a FA... Everyone will have cap space in the following year so we will be last in line (or close to it) and it won't do is much good.

I'd make a very rich offer to Middleton, but with BK traded they have alleviated some of their cap crunch and will likely match. We could also max BK just to make the suns match (they have up a ton to get him, si my guess is the GM doesn't want to look stupid). I'd also look hard at Danny Green, Wes Matthews, and demarre Carroll.

I do think it was promising that DL said we were going to look at free agents this year. It's time to stop the tank and fill some holes.

This is the reality! And this is the reason why you don't give away so easily a promising young big man.

DL is just a good speaker.

We don't need the top FA. We have been pretty decent at getting second tier guys when we've tried. We will be fine.

If The Spurs decide to keep the core together I think Danny Green is a distinct possibility. Would rather have Matthews though.

Guys this is obviously wishful thinking. I know that we haven't had the best of luck signing free agents, but that doesn't mean we should never swing for the fences. Hypothetically let's say the Bull's couldn't afford to match a max offer for Butler. It's not far fetched to think if we went all in and offered 15-16mil/yr that he would sign with us in that situation.

This thread is a WISHLIST... nothing more.

I think this team needs a star that can score at will!

I won't be excited to take players like Danny Green, Middleton, DeMarre Carrol and so on...

How many teams have that? You can build in other ways. Those other types are important as well.

Gordon has gotten good at getting his own shots. Dante should be able to create as well. We can build an elite D and play team ball on offense and win. Spurs didn't have a guy that could score at will. The 90s ISO ball is over...

I want Wesley Matthews... Danny Green is a good option too.. Middleton will probably get matched since they freed up cap space when Sanders agreed to the buyout and they got a cheap starting PG today and won't have to choose between Middleton and Knight..

So we get Wes.. Would love that. Front loaded 4 year deal worth 45 M do it? His first choice would likely be Portland but they've got some salary issues if they want to keep that together.

We would probably have to go higher... I wouldn't mind just raising the price of keeping him so Porty has to overpay.

Middleton will probably get matched since they freed up cap space when Sanders agreed to the buyout and they got a cheap starting PG today and won't have to choose between Middleton and Knight..

Not sure about the Bucks matching. They will have Giannis, Jabari, Dudley getting minutes at his position. Perhaps they don't want to pay top dollars for him knowing that Jabari will be healthy next year. The thing is....do we want to overpay him? Does he moves the needle for us?

Not sure about the Bucks matching. They will have Giannis, Jabari, Dudley getting minutes at his position. Perhaps they don't want to pay top dollars for him knowing that Jabari will be healthy next year. The thing is....do we want to overpay him? Does he moves the needle for us?

Middleton was a perfect unknown player last season and now Jazz fans want to throw out a max contract to take him....what a story!

So we get Wes.. Would love that. Front loaded 4 year deal worth 45 M do it? His first choice would likely be Portland but they've got some salary issues if they want to keep that together.

Honestly I'd love the Karma of front loading Matthews away from Portland. Like the did with Matthews originally and tried to do with Millsap.

But any of this free agent wings listed would be good to great. Matthews, Butler, Green and Middleton.

Middleton was a perfect unknown player last season and now Jazz fans want to throw out a max contract to take him....what a story!

He is a good role player who is young and improving. Nice to have him on your team but I don't get all the fuss...especially when you need to pay big dollars to get him. Same goes for Jeremy Lamb.