What's new

Off season free agent targets

That's why I'm so bummed. Lucking out in the draft is extremely difficult, and then you still have to wait for the kid to get good without losing other core pieces in the meantime.
True. Even if we luck out and win a top three pick, we still have to make sure we don't pick another Kanter. And then when the rest of our team is peaking in a couple years, the lotto pick will just be figuring things out, or still be a couple years away.

The other route is to trade a bunch of these young pieces and draft picks for a disgruntled star. The problem with that, is that those guys usually don't want to re sign with small market teams.

I love Rudy, but Horford is criminally underrated.

Edit: the Hawks also have a better coach than we do, and that does matter. And Jeff Teague is really good.

I don't see how Horford is underrated, he is an all star for crying out loud. The only real step up from all star is super star, which I think you even agree that Horford is not. We all know he is good, we also know that he has 6-7 years on Gobert.

I agree that the Hawks have a great coach, and that Teague is a beast. Quin is in his First year and so is Exum. Teague at 19/20 years old was not impressive, it wasn't until his 3rd year that he started figuring it out.

In my mind, this team being great still hinges on two things:

1. Dante Exum
2. Getting lucky in the draft this year or with a pick we trade for

You could add a third in there for free agency, but the chances that we get lucky in free agency and sign a huge name player are super unlikely, hence the wish list.

I agree with you, but at this point I think I would put lucking out in free agency higher than lucking out in the draft. We've already played our hand on guys like Exum, Hood, Gobert, Favors, Burks, Hayward through the draft. I think we are still waiting on our luck to transpire on those guys to see how great they can become.

Getting lucky in free agency is where we make the next splash. No one saw Butler as a max guy last year, but he is clearly the best player on the Bulls now. If we can take a chance on a guy like Middleton, Green, Mathews, or Leonard you do it and you hope that they go from averaging 12-15 points to 18-20 points for us.

At what cost? They now have 5 first rounders to trade between now and 2019, and at least 13 second rounders. I believe they can pull a big name away with that horde. They should hound San Antonio and Chicago.

Like you said the Jazz have a ton of assets, multiple 1st and 2nd rounders, tradeable players and rights to guys in europe.

There's no chance a guy like Draymond Green is going to put up 18-20 pts. He's averaging 33% on wide open 3's...and he won't get easier shots here compared to in GS.

Regardless of anything I'd definitely throw the max at Kawhi and see what happens, nothing to lose, lots to gain.

I'd front load as much as possible, even give him an option in year 3 and i'd throw in a trade kicker. Leonard with our core!!!! Amazing!!! Use our lotto pick on the best avble big and role with that team for the future! #excited4Gobert/Favors

Jazz should go after every French player they can.
Gobert is there leader and they play hard and nasty or they are taken and dumped in the English Channel. :rolleyes: