What's new

Off-Season Rumblings

He did, though. He traded away everyone from that 2022 team away in the span of 6 months except Clarkson. The Jazz went into the season with the worst betting odds in the league and the second worse over/under for wins. What else should he have done? Insisted that Minnesota and Cleveland trade us sacks of potatoes instead of young players?
No he didn't. There was no reason to come into that season with Conley, Clarkson and Olynyk on the roster. Remove those 3 pieces from the get go and it gets ugly early rather than after the trade deadline.

Jalen is worth more. He is turning into an elite wing that can create his own shot and shots for others at a high level. He is also significantly younger and has 2 years left on his rookie contract.

There was a point in the season, very early on, where I had heard OKC guys talking about a Jalen + 2picks for Lauri trade. At that point Jalen was just promising since he hadn't done it for long enough. I'm not sure if OKC would have ever offered something like that, but in hindsight, and as much as I love Lauri, that would have been an amazing deal for us.

Jalen would be a much easier guy to build around because of being on a rookie contract and his ability to create.

If we were the worst team in the league a year ago, we would most likely have Miller, Scoot, Black or one of the Thompson twins. I'd love to have Miller or Amen on our team, but I don't know either if we'd still be in a significantly better position right now.
We would have one of those guys and we would not be any better off. Arguable we could be worse off with some of those players, but its still pretty early.

Except one of those scenarios is practically a given while the other is wishful thinking.
True.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk

Really hope all the "Trade Lauri" people have a very disappointing off-season
I don't want to trade Lauri, but I also get it. I think it's mostly that the 2025 and 2026 drafts look really great. I personally don't view the 2025 draft being great as a problem because I think we could keep Lauri, do a half year tank, and still end up with an all star level player. I think the 2026 draft is more of a problem where a) I can't imagine Lauri being that patient b) keeping Lauri could cause us to miss out on another generationally great player, and c) we are more likely to lose our pick and not own a pick for swaps.

I don't want to trade Lauri, but I also get it. I think it's mostly that the 2025 and 2026 drafts look really great. I personally don't view the 2025 draft being great as a problem because I think we could keep Lauri, do a half year tank, and still end up with an all star level player. I think the 2026 draft is more of a problem where a) I can't imagine Lauri being that patient b) keeping Lauri could cause us to miss out on another generationally great player, and c) we are more likely to lose our pick and not own a pick for swaps.
Very much this. I am not team Trade Lauri... I am Team Tank. We can tank in a lot of ways. Like you I doubt Lauri is signing up for another two years of nonsense. IF we did land the dude in 2025 then 2026 is less important... but it often doesn't work that way.

My position is we should tank in the most profitable ways. So if the return for Lauri is monsterous because there aren't any sellers out there then that is a legit route to consider. If not go ahead and sell off Sexton/Walker or whatever parts make sense. I might retain Dunn as he could be a trade asset and can help us not be charmin soft. If Lauri will sign the extension and play along for a year his value is still sky high... so if the draft doesn't go our way we can pivot. I would also work to set ourselves up with a huge amount of cap space next season so that when the new rules are in full effect we can take advantage one way or another.

Now this would require a real plan... and not just doing isolated moves that make sense valuewise. So DA may actually have to fit transactions into one them for a year instead of bouncing back and forth.

I really dont get it at all. Unless a team is willing to give us multiple quality picks and a blue chipper, I dont even consider it. There's no team that has been linked to Lauri that seems wiling to give up a blue chip prospect. So like a J Williams from OKC, a Franz Wagner from Orlando, an Amen Thompson from Houston (though I'd probably pass, shooting just too far away). I'm sure there are others I'd think about as well.

I really dont get it. Lauri (and the West as a whole) is kind of at a sweet spot of talent/ability that he cant really make the team great by himself and the Jazz can still be plenty bad. If he signs an extension that's all that really matters. If he is not signing, sure, you trade him.

Jalen is worth more. He is turning into an elite wing that can create his own shot and shots for others at a high level. He is also significantly younger and has 2 years left on his rookie contract.
23 to 26 doesn't feel super significant. Except that maybe Lauri fits a bit better with the OKC timeline, and Jalen ours. But they are close regardless. Both good, young players. I'm not saying Lauri is way more valuable, I would put them close with maybe a slight edge to Lauri.

If they offered Jalen and our pick back for Lauri I'd probably do it? But that sounds about fair.

I really dont get it at all. Unless a team is willing to give us multiple quality picks and a blue chipper, I dont even consider it. There's no team that has been linked to Lauri that seems wiling to give up a blue chip prospect. So like a J Williams from OKC, a Franz Wagner from Orlando, an Amen Thompson from Houston (though I'd probably pass, shooting just too far away). I'm sure there are others I'd think about as well.

I really dont get it. Lauri (and the West as a whole) is kind of at a sweet spot of talent/ability that he cant really make the team great by himself and the Jazz can still be plenty bad. If he signs an extension that's all that really matters. If he is not signing, sure, you trade him.
Houston is the best spot. If they send out Jabari Smith, #3, and the 2026 Brooklyn pick plus maybe one more thing. That is alot.

Like, if you really want to ensure being bad, trade Sexton.

Not to toot my own horn, but I think my trade idea of Sexton/10th pick to the Pistons for Fournier/5th pick/2028 unprotected (though they could protect it top 4 or w/e, I would get if unprotected was a deal breaker and I would be ok taking slight lottery protections) is probably the best trade that seems realistic and would make the team organically worse while helping with the asset base.

Sexton a perfect fit with Detroit now that he's really proven himself as a quality spot up shooter to play off Cade.

Jabari Smith is not a blue chipper in my eyes, hard pass. Not sure the #3 pick even gets you a blue chipper in this class (though maybe there is someone there they think is).
Oh I think he is about as close to a blue chipper as you get in deals. Steady improvement... very young. If he did take a big step it would be in the next year or two.

Oh I think he is about as close to a blue chipper as you get in deals. Steady improvement... very young. If he did take a big step it would be in the next year or two.
I would barely put him above Hendricks in terms of future outlook. Hard hard pass. Not to say he wont be good, but he isnt top 3 on a contender good.

Like, if you really want to ensure being bad, trade Sexton.

Not to toot my own horn, but I think my trade idea of Sexton/10th pick to the Pistons for Fournier/5th pick/2028 unprotected (though they could protect it top 4 or w/e, I would get if unprotected was a deal breaker and I would be ok taking slight lottery protections) is probably the best trade that seems realistic and would make the team organically worse while helping with the asset base.
They won't give up a future pick (or shouldn't)... I also had them pegged as a place for Collin but why are they trading for Collin when they have infinity cap space and can likely nab Malik Monk? If we liked Ivey I could see them doing Ivey/5 for Collin and 10.

I would barely put him above Hendricks in terms of future outlook. Hard hard pass. Not to say he wont be good, but he isnt top 3 on a contender good.
14/8 as a 20 year old starter on a decent team. Solid defender. Average efficiency... he could get there.