What's new

Off-Season Rumblings

Very much this. I am not team Trade Lauri... I am Team Tank. We can tank in a lot of ways. Like you I doubt Lauri is signing up for another two years of nonsense. IF we did land the dude in 2025 then 2026 is less important... but it often doesn't work that way.

My position is we should tank in the most profitable ways. So if the return for Lauri is monsterous because there aren't any sellers out there then that is a legit route to consider. If not go ahead and sell off Sexton/Walker or whatever parts make sense. I might retain Dunn as he could be a trade asset and can help us not be charmin soft. If Lauri will sign the extension and play along for a year his value is still sky high... so if the draft doesn't go our way we can pivot. I would also work to set ourselves up with a huge amount of cap space next season so that when the new rules are in full effect we can take advantage one way or another.

Now this would require a real plan... and not just doing isolated moves that make sense valuewise. So DA may actually have to fit transactions into one them for a year instead of bouncing back and forth.
Yeah, idk about that. You sounded pretty Team Trade Lauri on the pod.

Detroit owes a lotto/top 10 protected pick that likely doesn't convey for a year or two. I think the earliest they could give one is 2029 realistically. They could however do swaps... plan your fake trades accordingly.

Yeah, idk about that. You sounded pretty Team Trade Lauri on the pod.
I'm firmly team Tank... easiest way to do that and the way that we get a big boost in other assets is through trading Lauri. You can interpret that however you like, but I am pretty consistent with how I have thought about it all... at least in my head. I think someone could get wild with a Lauri trade offer. So I would want to know what that looks like.

They won't give up a future pick (or shouldn't)... I also had them pegged as a place for Collin but why are they trading for Collin when they have infinity cap space and can likely nab Malik Monk? If we liked Ivey I could see them doing Ivey/5 for Collin and 10.
Because Sexton is infinitely better than Monk. I dont want Ivey.

Detroit has a new head of operations, they are going to want to make a splash. There isnt a splash in UFA. Why overpay for Monk when you can get Sexton for a cheap price?

I'm firmly team Tank... easiest way to do that and the way that we get a big boost in other assets is through trading Lauri. You can interpret that however you like, but I am pretty consistent with how I have thought about it all... at least in my head. I think someone could get wild with a Lauri trade offer. So I would want to know what that looks like.
Well, being firmly team tank and saying the easiest way to do that is trading Lauri seems pretty pro-trade Lauri lol.

Because Sexton is infinitely better than Monk. I dont want Ivey.
If we did do it there is no reason to take Fournier. They have infinity cap space so can take Sexton into their space. Fournier is a team option... so they just waive him. So it creates space for us and is the same for them. I'd give Ivey a tryout. If we aren't trying to win those are guys we should look at.

If we did do it there is no reason to take Fournier. They have infinity cap space so can take Sexton into their space. Fournier is a team option... so they just waive him. So it creates space for us and is the same for them. I'd give Ivey a tryout. If we aren't trying to win those are guys we should look at.
Again, no to Ivey. You dont just take projects on when you already have a ton and a ton coming up on the horizon.

I'll take your word on the cap situation and there not being any benefit for it being Fournier for Detroit.

Either way, SExton is a borderline all-star talent who fits perfectly. The cost is just one future first and a trade down of 5 spots. Very cheap considering Sexton is on a bargain deal for 2 years.

Hilarious to me the guy who supposedly loves Sexton is now like "Why would they want Sexton when they can overpay for Monk?"

This would be an absolute steal for Detroit.

Well, being firmly team tank and saying the easiest way to do that is trading Lauri seems pretty pro-trade Lauri lol.
If that's how you want to simplify then by all means. I think there are several routes to tank. I think Lauri has to buy in on a few of them... I also think an offer for Lauri could get wild and someone may give you something they shouldn't. I would kick all the tires on the various routes. It may very well be that the best route for us is to keep Lauri if he agrees to us taking a step back to hopefully take leaps forward later.

A few teams are going to make mistakes overpaying for win-now purposes. I would hear them out and see what might be there.

Again, no to Ivey. You dont just take projects on when you already have a ton and a ton coming up on the horizon.

I'll take your word on the cap situation and there not being any benefit for it being Fournier for Detroit.
Fair enough... it wouldn't be "free". I think you could reroute him for something.

Either way, SExton is a borderline all-star talent who fits perfectly. The cost is just one future first and a trade down of 5 spots. Very cheap considering Sexton is on a bargain deal for 2 years.

Hilarious to me the guy who supposedly loves Sexton is now like "Why would they want Sexton when they can overpay for Monk?"

This would be an absolute steal for Detroit.
What I think of Collin and what the opinion around the league is might be quite a bit different. I think teams might see them as equal or close to it. I'm trying to think from their perspective.

What I think of Collin and what the opinion around the league is might be quite a bit different. I think teams might see them as equal or close to it. I'm trying to think from their perspective.
Well Sexton just proved he's a winning player this past season as well as a knockdown C&S guy when given adequate space. That's just as perfect as it gets for Detroit next to Cade. They dont want to lose anymore. They want to put a respectable product out and Sexton accelerates that. They still get the 10th overall pick which can land them a quality project or win now player.

Well Sexton just proved he's a winning player this past season as well as a knockdown C&S guy when given adequate space. That's just as perfect as it gets for Detroit next to Cade. They dont want to lose anymore. They want to put a respectable product out and Sexton accelerates that. They still get the 10th overall pick which can land them a quality project or win now player.
Look I get it... I actually brought them up on the pod. I would try and see if you could get #5 straight up or give them 29/32 with Collin to get #5. I just don't think they are in a position to give up a future first and it would need to be unencumbered because of their other obligation imo. If they are willing to give up a 29 first or some swaps I think it could be a good deal and they can use space for other things. I just don't know that the opinion of Sexton is all that much different than what people think of Monk leaguewide. I mean hell... we had the guy in house and all you kept hearing is "the Jazz think Collin is a 6th man".

Personality wise he is exactly what they need too... they should be willing but i am not quite sure they will go far enough.

Look I get it... I actually brought them up on the pod. I would try and see if you could get #5 straight up or give them 29/32 with Collin to get #5. I just don't think they are in a position to give up a future first and it would need to be unencumbered because of their other obligation imo. If they are willing to give up a 29 first or some swaps I think it could be a good deal and they can use space for other things. I just don't know that the opinion of Sexton is all that much different than what people think of Monk leaguewide. I mean hell... we had the guy in house and all you kept hearing is "the Jazz think Collin is a 6th man".

Personality wise he is exactly what they need too... they should be willing but i am not quite sure they will go far enough.
Yeah because the Jazz don't have a jumbo PG like Detroit does.

If we had a Cade I'm sure a lot people would have a different future outlook on Sexton