What's new

Official 2023 draft night thread!

Should’ve tried to trounce it and then just take Walker themselves.

Jazz get Walker
Washington gets Bilal
Packers get Hendricks and future draft capital

Oh well. It’s done. Now just hoping these three guys show out and play out if their minds for the Jazz.
If Pacers really like Walker why would they do that deal though?

Sounds like our draft board 5-9 was something like:

5. Black
6. Jarace
7. Ausar/Bilal
8. Bilal/Ausar
9. Hendricks

Can someone explain to me why the 7/8 trade happened and why Utah couldn't have beat that?

Because Washington can say to Indiana, "You know, if you draft Coulibaly and trade him to Utah, the next guy on our board is Jarace Walker. You still want Walker, right? I tell you what--I can see you'd like a couple extra assets. You draft Coulibaly for us and we'll add a couple seconds..."

Indiana is forced to draft Walker at 7 or trade Bilal to Washington. Otherwise, Washington will take the guy Indiana wants--i.e., Walker.

Last edited:
Should’ve tried to trounce it and then just take Walker themselves.

Jazz get Walker
Washington gets Bilal
Packers get Hendricks and future draft capital

Oh well. It’s done. Now just hoping these three guys show out and play out if their minds for the Jazz.

Indiana wanted Walker, and Washington can threaten to take him at 8.

well it looks like the Northwest division got tougher. While I think the Jazz improved, I think OKC, Portland, and Denver might have improved more than the Jazz. 'The Spurs had a great draft so the West is now going to be a dog fight in a few years.

I agree with the New York Post, solid A. (Tied with San Antonio and Lakers - only Houston fared better.)
Jazz brass are just ecstatic with the way things played out. (Going off the Tony Jones disclosure I’d say we dodged a bullet by taking Hendricks instead of George at #9 cause no way Hendricks falls to #16.) And having Sensabaugh fall to #28 (ten picks after Bilas touted him- kiss of death) was just icing on the cake.

We don't have anybody that will pass the ball on this squad.
That's an interesting observation. If you think about the team Ainge built in Boston... even there he didn't really pick amazing passers. It might be a trend we have to keep in mind for the future.

We thought the same thing last year too. The team profiled as being terrible at passing but ended up being pretty good.
True but IMO that was more of a product of the culture of unselfishness and ball movement that Hardy instituted, rather than individual talents of the players. The question is - can you keep that long-term and will it play well at the highest level(playoff basketball) or you need the actual passing/vision talent to make those plays when it all gets tighter in the playoffs?

That's an interesting observation. If you think about the team Ainge built in Boston... even there he didn't really pick amazing passers. It might be a trend we have to keep in mind for the future.
This is an apt observation. That said, I like the fact we took folks who can actually shoot as part of their game (this seems to take so long to develop), so I'm happy there. But fundamental passing is something that can be developed as far as when and hows.

This is an apt observation. That said, I like the fact we took folks who can actually shoot as part of their game (this seems to take so long to develop), so I'm happy there. But fundamental passing is something that can be developed as far as when and hows.
You have to want to pass. We will see how Brice and Keyonte fair, but their college careers they focused on getting buckets first second and third.