What's new

Official Bradley Beal Campaign

P.S. I like defense and defenders. A lot. You can't have too much defense, nor too many defenders (certainly not true with offensive players). It's the hallmark of the vast majority of champions. It's one of the bigger reasons I'm excited about the Jazz. It's probably the biggest reason I'm high on Jeff Taylor.

What can anyone tell me about Beal's defensive ability/impact (without quoting DX)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPiXyA7Tl08

That gives you a little glimpse of his defense. Overall, I'd say he definitely has all the tools to be a good defender, but as it stands right now, he's a little inconsistent on that end of the floor. He's already proven to be an exceptional rebounder for his position (which is, of course, the last step of defense). He's also a good shot blocker for a guard, something you don't hear enough about him.

I love MKG because of his defense but the lack of perimeter shooting btwn he, Hayward & Burks will again be our achilles heel & I can see KOC liking Beal's game.

Either way, we can end up w/ Beal, Rivers, or Lamb & they would all be a great welcome...

I dont see all the hype behind Tony Mitchell...needless to say I haven't seen any North Texas games this year, but in the fall of 2010, I played in a scrimmage against him and didnt think he was that good. An athletic guy with an NBA type body, but nothing more than a ball hog that missed his fair share of shots. Obviously he has gotten tremendously better since then, to be projected in the first round...Im curious to see him play again tho.

I love MKG because of his defense but the lack of perimeter shooting btwn he, Hayward & Burks will again be our achilles heel & I can see KOC liking Beal's game.

Either way, we can end up w/ Beal, Rivers, or Lamb & they would all be a great welcome...

i'm going to assume Beal is the 1st SG taken, possibly 2nd or 3rd wing taken overall. Don't know if he will even last to 8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPiXyA7Tl08

That gives you a little glimpse of his defense. Overall, I'd say he definitely has all the tools to be a good defender, but as it stands right now, he's a little inconsistent on that end of the floor. He's already proven to be an exceptional rebounder for his position (which is, of course, the last step of defense). He's also a good shot blocker for a guard, something you don't hear enough about him.

I wonder how tall Beal is. ESPN has him listed as 6'3, but I think he is at least 6'4, possibly 6'5. He also appears to have a very long wingspan, along with a strong body.

What can anyone tell me about Beal's defensive ability/impact (without quoting DX)?

I have liked Beal, a lot, for years. Intangibles go a long way with me. Having said that, I haven't seen a lot that suggests he will be an above-average defender in the NBA. He's a bit undersized for SG and I feel he's also a bit under average in explosiveness. He's one of those guys that gets it done anyway .. but I see nothing elite about his defense.

I wonder how tall Beal is. ESPN has him listed as 6'3, but I think he is at least 6'4, possibly 6'5. He also appears to have a very long wingspan, along with a strong body.

He's a hair shy of 6'4 to begin the season .. so could very possibly be 6'4. He is fairly long, but it's neither his height nor length that will create success for him in the NBA. It would have to be shooting, motor, and bb IQ.

I have liked Beal, a lot, for years. Intangibles go a long way with me. Having said that, I haven't seen a lot that suggests he will be an above-average defender in the NBA. He's a bit undersized for SG and I feel he's also a bit under average in explosiveness. He's one of those guys that gets it done anyway .. but I see nothing elite about his defense.

Sounds like James Harden.

I dont see all the hype behind Tony Mitchell...needless to say I haven't seen any North Texas games this year, but in the fall of 2010, I played in a scrimmage against him and didnt think he was that good. An athletic guy with an NBA type body, but nothing more than a ball hog that missed his fair share of shots. Obviously he has gotten tremendously better since then, to be projected in the first round...Im curious to see him play again tho.

A ball hog? Have you looked at his stats?

It's already been said in this thread a couple of times, but a Beal selection is predicated on the idea that either (a) Hayward and/or Burks are not part of the long-term, or (b) Burks and Beal could get significant burn at the PG. I know Burks can guard at least the backup PGs.

How many of you honestly believe that Corbin-KOC will go for (b)? Serious question.

It's already been said in this thread a couple of times, but a Beal selection is predicated on the idea that either (a) Hayward and/or Burks are not part of the long-term, or (b) Burks and Beal could get significant burn at the PG. I know Burks can guard at least the backup PGs.

How many of you honestly believe that Corbin-KOC will go for (b)? Serious question.

Still don't see why we can't have a 3-man rotation of Burks-Beal-Hayward. Many teams play 2 SG's for both wings throughout long stretches of the game. OKC's is Sefalosha-Durant-Harden. BWA (Best Wing Available)

I've not been high on taking a SG forever. There are too many options at SF, being more of a need. That's no slight to the SG crop, just not needed as much.

This is all rather academic, as Beal will most likely not be available.

Beal could also be OJ Mayo.

And RE: "his percentages aren't good": He makes 15 ppg on 11 FGA. Not bad, really. Gets to the line at a good rate, usually, shoots a lot of threes, so it's actually that he shoots 53% on 2s but the number of 3s he takes superficially alters his FG%.

Still don't see why we can't have a 3-man rotation of Burks-Beal-Hayward. Many teams play 2 SG's for both wings throughout long stretches of the game. OKC's is Sefalosha-Durant-Harden. BWA (Best Wing Available)

You might be right about just playing your best wings together, but OKC isn't a great example to use since Sefolosha is a pure wing that can play either position (and not a tweener). He's a long 6' 7" and takes the opposing team's best wing defensively. That's also saying nothing of Durant's absolutely insane size.

Last edited:
Well it's bpa for me and if Beal is still around when we pick, I'd be upset if we take someone like Miller over Beal, just because we need a sf. I don't see why Beal, Burks, and Hayward can't all start. With Haywards playmaking skills don't see why we need to play a pg in the starting lineup. I think all three have good enough handles to bring the ball up.

Having a sleight-framed 6' 6" player and another sleight-framed 6' 8" player without long arms or superb athleticism as your SF rotation doesn't sound like a good thing. Against good SFs, the Jazz would get chewed up. That's saying nothing about most of the minutes at SG being manned by a guy that's 6' 3.5" in shoes.

Did I mention that none of these guys are yet seen as especially good defenders?

Add all of that up, and that's just a small wing rotation.

But again, Beal's probably not there. Portland's probably targeting him even if he's not available when they pick, too.