What's new

Official Derrick Favors Thread

Favors' Max Vert Reach, one of the best indicators of how big he can play, in my opinion, was 12' 1.5". The highest recorded on Draft Express in their database is Shaq's who came in at 12'5". Dwight Howard's was 12'3". Oden's 12'2". That number for Favors is better than Whiteside (is he even in the league), Noah, Bogut, Deandre Jordan, Kaman, Cousins, Larry Sanders (see Whiteside), Al Jefferson (11'8"), and so on, all players who legitimately play the 5, are trying to legitimately play the 5 in this league, or who people promoted on this board to play the 5 for us.

Seriously, anyone saying Favors is just another 4 here is gravely mistaken. The kid can play the 5.

"I won't let no players outwork me."

If Favors maintains that attitude he's going to be a heckuva player. I hope he fits in well and wants to work in the off-season with Millsap and Evans. Have them inspire Big Al and Utah could develop a pretty solid big-man rotation.

"I won't let no players outwork me."

If Favors maintains that attitude he's going to be a heckuva player. I hope he fits in well and wants to work in the off-season with Millsap and Evans. Have them inspire Big Al and Utah could develop a pretty solid big-man rotation.

This. I hear at Georgia Tech he would hit the weightroom AFTER games. I already love this kid.

Also, even though I've been hating on Big Al this year, if Favors' J develops, he could be the perfect complement to AJ.

Favors seems to have a good feel for the game (makes good reads/passes), is good in the PnR, working the baseline (and finding open space around the basket), running the floor, grabbing offensive rebounds. Also, for all the talk of Favors being a 4, I think he'll round out into a legit defensive 5, with his athleticism making up for his below average length. Perhaps, the perfect player to fit in beside a low post threat like Big Al.

If Big Al ever learns how to pass or draw a foul...

Exactly. He knows when to leak toward the passing lane and when to hold off. Guys like Millsap seem to not get it and either hesitate or leak too early. Favors looks more like Brewer in being able to find himself wide open under the rim. Brewer didn't have a lot to brag about, but he was quite possibly the best in the league at this one thing, and it scored a lot of easy points.

Reactions: GVC
*Calming down a little bit*

Count me in as a guy that thinks Malone would work wonders for this kid.

And while I find the trade to acquire him is a depressing gamble (with some nice potential), doubting Favors tools is stupid. This kid has some really nice things going for him, I just wonder about his passion and his intelligence. But his physique is elite and he's got an otherwise nice head on his shoulders.

I can't tell you how excited I am to have this guy on the jazz. Between Evans and Favors, we must have among the most athletic front lines in the NBA.

Yeh I can't wait for the highlights this guy produces. His High School dunking video speaks for itself the guy can do things most bigs can't. Get him and Jeremy Evans on teh floor at the same time with Earl Watson throw alley oops all day.

Exactly. He knows when to leak toward the passing lane and when to hold off. Guys like Millsap seem to not get it and either hesitate or leak too early. Favors looks more like Brewer in being able to find himself wide open under the rim. Brewer didn't have a lot to brag about, but he was quite possibly the best in the league at this one thing, and it scored a lot of easy points.
Yep. Brewer was (for a while, at least) ridiculously overrated as a defender (he was absolutely atrocious in transition), but you could argue that he was as smart an offensive player as anyone on the Jazz, a team filled with very smart offensive players (Deron, AK, Booze). Favors can be a productive player right now. Hopefully Ty isn't as short sighted as Avery Johnson has always been, and gives the guy some time and touches out on the court this and next season. With his (reported) work ethic, physical tools and feel for the game, he could be the 2 way beastly big we've all been waiting for since Karl defected to the Lakers.

All I've been hearing out of this kids mouth is "rebounding", "defense", "hard work". Sounds like Wesley Matthews.

I like it. A lot.

Yep. Brewer was (for a while, at least) ridiculously overrated as a defender (he was absolutely atrocious in transition), but you could argue that he was as smart an offensive player as anyone on the Jazz, a team filled with very smart offensive players (Deron, AK, Booze). Favors can be a productive player right now. Hopefully Ty isn't as short sighted as Avery Johnson has always been, and gives the guy some time and touches out on the court this and next season. With his (reported) work ethic, physical tools and feel for the game, he could be the 2 way beastly big we've all been waiting for since Karl defected to the Lakers.

Brewer in a wing's body = significant shortcomings. Brewer in a legitimate PF/Cs body = **** yes.

Just one question, what made you guys think Malone is a good mentor? I mean, I would not want Favors to have the off-the-court activities that Malone had that produced multiple kids from different women... I also don't recall any of his understudies during his tenure came on his own after playing/practicing with him. He was a great player and I love him as a player, but I am not so sure about his mentoring skills.

I think Favors does need a big man coach though. But before we find him a good one, I will just roll Dwight Howard's tape on him over and over and over.

Meh, most players have off the court issues and people make bad decions. Throw tons of money that is realistically not earned at immature males and it breeds bad choices. I hope he maintains and turns into something special.

We could do worse than Malone mentoring Favors.