What's new

Official Jazz workouts thread

If the Jazz draft Gorgui Dieng (sp?) I hope they bring Hot Rod back for just 2 or 3 radio games.

Also fun would be Alec Burks and Trey Burke teaming up in the backcourt.

I still like Jerrett at 46, provided Olynyk doesn't fall and we pick him up at 21. I think we need another big who can stroke it from outside.

Quick question, have you EVER been high on any of Pittino's players?

Yes.. when he was coaching UK.

Seriously, though, no.. not many. How many Louisville players can you name in the NBA? That's why. One of his highest draft picks was Terrence Williams.. and that's about it. Oh .. and Earl Clark.

The Jazz are doing a good job of creating some interesting match-ups.

Olynyk vs. Jerrett will test just how slow Olynyk is defending mobile PFs.

Canaan vs. Green will likewise test Canaan's ability to guard speed and score on bigger defenders.

Tony Snell vs. Franklin will test Franklin's abilities vs. a longer defender. This is the 2nd time that Snell has been here, hasn't it?

The Jazz are doing a good job of creating some interesting match-ups.

Olynyk vs. Jerrett will test just how slow Olynyk is defending mobile PFs.

Canaan vs. Green will likewise test Canaan's ability to guard speed and score on bigger defenders.

Tony Snell vs. Franklin will test Franklin's abilities vs. a longer defender. This is the 2nd time that Snell has been here, hasn't it?

Are you sure?

So Jazz at 14 & 21 have (or will) worked out atleast 32 draft prospects, some of them 2nd round picks, some of them were only work out buddies.

They have even work out McCollum and Zeller who are likely gone by 14, but they have not worked out Caldwell-Pope, MCW, or Shabazz who are more likely than McCollum or Zeller to be there at 14. Nor have they worked out Plumlee, Karsev, or Haraway Jr. who are all possibilities at 21. Anyone else they are missing out on workouts? Does it mean anything?

So Jazz at 14 & 21 have (or will) worked out atleast 32 draft prospects, some of them 2nd round picks, some of them were only work out buddies.

They have even work out McCollum and Zeller who are likely gone by 14, but they have not worked out Caldwell-Pope, MCW, or Shabazz who are more likely than McCollum or Zeller to be there at 14. Nor have they worked out Plumlee, Karsev, or Haraway Jr. who are all possibilities at 21. Anyone else they are missing out on workouts? Does it mean anything?

Nice observation but I wouldn't read too much into it. Believe it or not, these teams do a lot of sharing of info.
I'll also admit it could mean something is up. lol

Well:

- Karasev went back to Europe, nobody got a workout out of him

- Plumlee, if you're like me, you wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole

- Same with Hardaway Jnr (make that a 12 foot pole)

- MCW & Bazz might have just refused our request outright because they simply do not consider the Jazz to be within their range (understandable)

The Jazz are trying to rank players and gauge their market value. A player doesn't have to workout with the Jazz to get drafted, especially if there is a significant amount of game tape and pre-existing scouting about the player. I think the Jazz have been offered a few trade scenarios, and they're still evaluating several options. I'm sure lots of teams are calling to ask about all our young players as well as the picks.

To me, it makes sense to leverage #14 + #21 to move up to get one of the top PGs in this draft. The Jazz are in a unique position to do this with their two decent picks and the fact that they're one of the few teams that want to draft a PG based on need. McCollum should really go in the 8 - 10 range of this draft, but he isn't a high priority given those teams' PG situations. And it just so happens that the Jazz have a good collection of assets to move up into that range.

I think McCollum and his agent understand this, and that might have been why McCollum was pretty aggressive in his interviews. He knows if he does well in the workout process, the Jazz can pull the trigger on something that gets him here and puts him in position to be the starting PG of an exciting young team.

I'm amazed, but I think the Jazz have a good shot at Trey Burke too.

The Jazz are trying to rank players and gauge their market value. A player doesn't have to workout with the Jazz to get drafted, especially if there is a significant amount of game tape and pre-existing scouting about the player. I think the Jazz have been offered a few trade scenarios, and they're still evaluating several options. I'm sure lots of teams are calling to ask about all our young players as well as the picks.

To me, it makes sense to leverage #14 + #21 to move up to get one of the top PGs in this draft. The Jazz are in a unique position to do this with their two decent picks and the fact that they're one of the few teams that want to draft a PG based on need. McCollum should really go in the 8 - 10 range of this draft, but he isn't a high priority given those teams' PG situations. And it just so happens that the Jazz have a good collection of assets to move up into that range.

I think McCollum and his agent understand this, and that might have been why McCollum was pretty aggressive in his interviews. He knows if he does well in the workout process, the Jazz can pull the trigger on something that gets him here and puts him in position to be the starting PG of an exciting young team.

I'm amazed, but I think the Jazz have a good shot at Trey Burke too.

Agree with all that.