What's new

Official milsap the 2012 starting sf

Jefferson. I want the better player starting. I would rather have both, but only if Millsap accepts his position as the backup PF. With Millsap as a starting PF you will never be good enough to advance very far in the playoffs.

Jefferson is far better than Boozer on defense. He challenges shots and changes the way teams attack the Jazz. He's not great but better than Boozer.

I believe PNR defense can be taught. I don't like the way the Jazz defend the PNR.

It's far easier to teach fundamentals than size and talent. If Millsap plays "as best he can with his current talent" and he's still worse than Jefferson then I definitely want Jefferson.

Your words make sense, but i already dont think millsap should be the first or second option, i think that millsap should start with kanter, if we can draft him. So we can trade jefferson, because i think 15 million is really too much for jefferson for a small market franchise like utah.

Your words make sense, but i already dont think millsap should be the first or second option, i think that millsap should start with kanter, if we can draft him. So we can trade jefferson, because i think 15 million is really too much for jefferson for a small market franchise like utah.

Big guys with talent that can put up the #'s he does and play decent defense are not cheap.

Big guys with talent that can put up the #'s he does and play decent defense are not cheap.

I think thats our main seperation point, i dont think he plays decent defense, he just has a good blocking timing thats it, i think he should learn many things in the defensive end to deserve that money, i respect ur opinion though

If 15 mil is too much for Al, would you have rather had Boozer instead? Get real. Big men who put up those numbers dont come any cheaper. Unless you can magically find a stud PF/C who is 6-10 or 6-11, can average 20/10 and also play great defense and who would be willing to come to Utah for less than 15 mil/year. Good luck.You are talking about a franchise player then.
(The jury is still out on Favors. Even if he does become that stud, he would demand similar kind of money if not more)

And Millsap's ceiling is pretty limited. The guy breaks down whenever called upon to start for large stretches of games and his production is inconsistent(even off the bench). Yes for what we pay him, the value/dollar is good. But that doesnt mean he can substitute a legit big man like Big Al. My only concern about Big Al is that his knee holds up in the long term. He has been great so far(knock wood) this season.

BTW, Millsap at SF is not a bright idea.Maybe for some games, some matchups. But we really need a strong defensive presence in the paint if we make Millsap the SF.
He has to be either a backup PF, or he has to be trade bait for a wing.

I believe Millsap is an excellent player for a contender - if he comes off the bench... Very good value for the money.
Millsap at 3 is not a new idea and the fact that this has not been realized so far gives me strong view that it will not happen in the near future. He is not going to be a fundamentally different player in one summer.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/212618/Jazz_Could_Play_Big_Man_Musical_Chairs_in_2011_12

I'm down with giving this a go. I think a simmer down milsap may make a pretty good small forward. I think if the jazz think this option is realistic, we should do whatever to grab kyrie.

I don't know about this.. this is the list of guys he has to guard on a nightly basis:

Kevin Durant
LeBron James
Carmelo Anthony
Danny Granger
Andre Iguodala
Rudy Gay
Paul Pierce...
etc, etc, etc

One-on-One, they take him off the dribble and it's game over.. he wouldn't stand a chance..

As nice as he is - I'd say trade him... :(

If 15 mil is too much for Al, would you have rather had Boozer instead? Get real. Big men who put up those numbers dont come any cheaper. Unless you can magically find a stud PF/C who is 6-10 or 6-11, can average 20/10 and also play great defense and who would be willing to come to Utah for less than 15 mil/year. Good luck.You are talking about a franchise player then.
(The jury is still out on Favors. Even if he does become that stud, he would demand similar kind of money if not more)

And Millsap's ceiling is pretty limited. The guy breaks down whenever called upon to start for large stretches of games and his production is inconsistent(even off the bench). Yes for what we pay him, the value/dollar is good. But that doesnt mean he can substitute a legit big man like Big Al. My only concern about Big Al is that his knee holds up in the long term. He has been great so far(knock wood) this season.

BTW, Millsap at SF is not a bright idea.Maybe for some games, some matchups. But we really need a strong defensive presence in the paint if we make Millsap the SF.
He has to be either a backup PF, or he has to be trade bait for a wing.

Big Al started to be good after allstar when we started losing
He wasnt the main guy in our miracle road wins early in the year, miami, orland, atlanta and charlotte
Thats why i think he doesnt deserve 15,and Boozer? Who told i would prefer boozer?
I think Boozer deserves to play only in development league or something
Millsap's ceiling is pretty limited its true but noone can say he is inconsistent. He cant put 33 points every night, but he deserves all the money he earns.
I would say, together with hayward and AK he has the best basketball iq in this team

In my opinion, if Utah want to be contender, we should follow Detroit's strategy. We cant rely on 2 superstars like Lakers or Miami or Boston.. We should set a team, complementing eachother with similar talents, like Billups, Hamilton, Tayshaun, Rasheed and Ben Wallace
I see this as the only strategy we could be a contender

Switching Millsap to SF is actually being discussed by both Corbin (see earlier post) and even Millsap himself. He is willing, according to this article, AS LONG AS HE GETS THE OFF-SEASON TO WORK AT IT. As much as he progressed last off-season offensively, I am a believer that YES, HE REALLY COULD DO THAT.... make it so, Ty...
Could he guard top SF's? Pro'ly no that great (who else can?), but he'd easily post up most any SF in the NBA and become even more of a scoring machine than now.
https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/51512569-87/jazz-millsap-jefferson-utah.html.csp

The question is essentially who you'd rather have at the 3 next year; Millsap, CJ or AK? I'd go with Millsap.

That is a ridiculous way to put, and so Jazz-centric. Ever heard of trading for a player you need?

Sap either needs to come off the bench or be traded. This sf idea is just trying to pound a square peg into a round hole again. To paraphrase John Prine, he is what he is and he ain't what he ain't. A sf he ain't.

I know they talked about this on the radio with the recent article and buzz and what not and I remember a small experiment 1 or 2 preseasons ago and defensively it didn't work out well and obviously offensively he's progressed since then so that wouldn't be the issue.
I guess I could be open to another experiment next preseason depending on how the draft and FA goes but I'd still like him playing the 4 mainly and be the back up PF with only some being at SF. Like others said he would definitely have to drop at least 10-15pds maybe more so he could be quick enough but can't loose too much as he needs the strength which needs to still be his advantage.

basically millsaps shooting and ballhandling skills is a plus for position 4, but at 3, its not enough, and what makes him soo good is how he know to play position 4, the fakes, post moves and finishing close to rim, if he play at 3, he will suck, they can do it in certain times in a game, but not whole year as a starting sf

Big Al's TS% is roughly league average, he is clueless without the ball in his hands, can't pass, and is terrible in transition. His D is roughly average. He's not an impact player. Certainly not worth his contract.

Big Al's TS% is roughly league average, he is clueless without the ball in his hands, can't pass, and is terrible in transition. His D is roughly average. He's not an impact player. Certainly not worth his contract.

Exactly!