What's new

Official milsap the 2012 starting sf

I've always thought we should go big and play him at 3. Everyone complains about him being able to guard other SFs but because Andrei fits the physical profile of a 3 we quickly become oblivious to the fact that he regularly gets burned on the perimeter. Also, I'd put Hayward at the 2.

A potential problem with putting him at SF is that he could lose some trade value if the experiment flops. Assuming Favors and Jefferson play well together in the starting lineup it would really put the Jazz and Millsap in a weird situation. I doubt Millsap wants to go to the bench especially after agreeing to switch positions. I say trade him to fill some of the other holes this team has.

I think trading him is the best option as well. I really hate to lose him though. I am fan of Jefferson, but he does need to learn to pass out of the double. I have faith this will be rectified. He wants to get better and I am sure the staff will preach the importance of him needing to work on this in the offseason.

the word OFFICIAL should be banned form jazzfanz.............................please for the love of god...........................................................................................................make it happen.

You clearly need to start an "Official banning of the word OFFICIAL" thread. ;-)

What do you want to do with him? If Favors can get some sort of an offensive game going, his productivity on the floor with surpass Milsap. Favors defense is way better than Sap. With defense, the team as a whole doesn't need to score as much and Jefferson can become the undoubtedly go to guy for the paint.

Hey, BI-GAL,
did you read my entire post of "hopes". Hardyharhar, buddy, that is where I laid out some ****ing ideas for what to do with him. Golly.

Let me give to the heavy **** right now: I'd trade that blackhole Jefferson before I'd trade someone with the guts and value of Millsap. period.

I like Sap and he is a deal at the current salary. However, I said before the season that he was not a starting PF on a good team. He is even further away from being a starting SF. Love the guy and hope he sticks around forever as our 6th man.

First of all, I don't like any option out there that has us trading Millsap. His work ethic and attitude are worth their weight in gold. Sure, he's never going to be your best player on a title contender but he's a strong charachter guy, and the Jazz will need that going forward considering how much younger they are bound to be getting.

On the offensive side of things, Sap would probably be a freaking nightmare for opposing HC's while playing the 3. He's got a face up game and can drive to the hoop just fine and when he's facing the smaller/quicker SF's in the league, he could absolutely destroy them in the post.

However, the only way it works is if Utah has a bonafide Center holding down the paint and a team that's willing/able to play stellar help defense. The quicker SF's in the league are going to drive right past Paul so you better have a Center who can intimidate guys from driving and can block/change shots when the do manage to get inside the paint. Is Favors the guy? I have no idea, but KOC and Corbin would have to feel pretty damn confident that he is if they were ever to think about trying it.

My ideal scenario for Paul is that he becomes the teams 6th man. He gives the 2nd unit a huge scoring boost not to mention extra toughness. Not only that, it's clear his body submits to the rigors of trying to play the PF as a starter during the course of a season.

I would rather have Paul come off the bench instead of playing SF but I think he could play SF against certain match-ups. I know AJ has acted like a black hole sometimes but he has had several games where he has had 4 or 5 assists while Paul has had 0 or 1. I just think AJ has a reputation of being that way. Even though I would agree there are times he holds onto the ball to long when he is hot I rather he shoot it instead of Raja or CJ. I think AJ has made a lot of progress passing the ball. The time AJ needs to learn to pass is when he isn't making them. It is on nights that he is struggling with shots he needs to pass more. Right now I like having both AJ and Paul but eventually this will become more of a problem when Favors gets up and running. I am all for Ty experimenting with Millsap at SF to see if the big three can play together.

Millsap should come off the bench where he can lead the 2nd unit, return to being the hustle player he used to be, play all three of the front court positions when need be, and probably win the 6th man award. Like Jason Terry or Jamal Crawford, he would still play over 30 minutes a game, still play in crunch time, and probably be even more effective for the team.

We'd be better off with Millsap off the bench at PF or SF, depending on matchups, and CJ starting at SF. AK off the bench at SF and seeing some time at PF depending on matchups. Favors starting at PF.

i think we should start millsap 4, trade jefferson and get enes kanter from this years draft
jefferson gets 15 million a year, i think its too much for a player who has an obvious deficiency, he is one of the worst pick&roll defenders in the game, and i think millsap has 3 times better basketball iq than jefferson, i dont think jefferson is the guy who would lead a contender, he is rather a star player in a losing team
millsap is a very good finisher, he somehow manages to get the foul and finishes the position, and what makes millsap good is how good he knows playing the 4th position. But as a sf, he will seem a bit raw i think

His premiter game and handles looked pretty solid. I want to keep the guy but favors is the future and it is not fair to let milsap sit on the bench. He needs to work of sf skills in the summer.

If it's for a different team then fine. If Millsap is our starting SF next year it just means we are terrible again. Millap should be the backup PF next year. Or traded for a real starting SF/SG.

i think we should start millsap 4, trade jefferson and get enes kanter from this years draft
jefferson gets 15 million a year, i think its too much for a player who has an obvious deficiency, he is one of the worst pick&roll defenders in the game, and i think millsap has 3 times better basketball iq than jefferson, i dont think jefferson is the guy who would lead a contender, he is rather a star player in a losing team
millsap is a very good finisher, he somehow manages to get the foul and finishes the position, and what makes millsap good is how good he knows playing the 4th position. But as a sf, he will seem a bit raw i think

So you repeatedly point out Jefferson's flaw. But are ignoring Millsap's flaw? Millsap is too short to guard bigger PF's. If Jefferson was the PF instead of Millsap and we have Favors be the guy helping on the PNR then Jefferson's PNR defense would not be so bad. But when Jefferson guards the PNR all he has behind him is a 6'7" PF that can't guard those guys.

Millsap's flaw on defense is far worse than Jefferson's. You can teach PNR defense you can not teach Millsap to be 3-4" taller. Jefferson is the better player. Yes he's been the main option on some really bad teams. However when Millsap came back from injury our starting lineups defense got significantly worse. Wonder why that is? Favors is better than Millsap on defense. Defensively Jefferson and Favors are our best front line. If Millsap is willing to be the backup PF again then so be it. If not, trade him and get a starting quality player at SG/SF/PG. Whichever you don't draft.

So you repeatedly point out Jefferson's flaw. But are ignoring Millsap's flaw? Millsap is too short to guard bigger PF's. If Jefferson was the PF instead of Millsap and we have Favors be the guy helping on the PNR then Jefferson's PNR defense would not be so bad. But when Jefferson guards the PNR all he has behind him is a 6'7" PF that can't guard those guys.

Millsap's flaw on defense is far worse than Jefferson's. You can teach PNR defense you can not teach Millsap to be 3-4" taller. Jefferson is the better player. Yes he's been the main option on some really bad teams. However when Millsap came back from injury our starting lineups defense got significantly worse. Wonder why that is? Favors is better than Millsap on defense. Defensively Jefferson and Favors are our best front line. If Millsap is willing to be the backup PF again then so be it. If not, trade him and get a starting quality player at SG/SF/PG. Whichever you don't draft.

This times 1,000,000,000.

Because for his career his true shooting percentage is roughly league average (awful for a big man)?

Truly awful at 0.503 versus league average of ~0.460. and especially for a big man, where he is 7th highest fg% for a center. Higher shooting % than Aldrige, Randolf, Josh Smith, Kevin Love, David Lee, Duncan, Brook Lopez, Hibber, Bargnani..... and some of the bigs in front of him get their points off offensive rebounds and junk points, versus being a central figure in their offense.

Where do you get this stuff?

Millsap open to it according to Smith.

https://twitter.com/tribjazz

Looking ahead: Millsap is open to playing 3 next season for Jazz. Jefferson prefers to stay at 5, which is where Utah thinks he's best. ...

... Thus, only way Millsap, Jefferson play together with Favors on court at same time is if Millsap slides to 3. His improved outside ...

... shooting and ballhandling make it a possibility. But Millsap must address perimeter defense and slim down for move to work.

The question is essentially who you'd rather have at the 3 next year; Millsap, CJ or AK? I'd go with Millsap.

Truly awful at 0.503 versus league average of ~0.460. and especially for a big man, where he is 7th highest fg% for a center. Higher shooting % than Aldrige, Randolf, Josh Smith, Kevin Love, David Lee, Duncan, Brook Lopez, Hibber, Bargnani..... and some of the bigs in front of him get their points off offensive rebounds and junk points, versus being a central figure in their offense.

Where do you get this stuff?

pssst...you do know we are talking about true shooting percentage yes? An advanced stat that takes into account free throw attempts and three point shooting. All those players spank Al on TS% because they either can draw a foul or can hit threes.

I think, u cant teach people basketball fundamentals after they are 25, jefferson has basketball iq no better than boozer in defensive end, and millsap plays as best as he can with his current talent but jefferson cant, he has good feet tricks or post moves around the basket but this is his only weapon, he doesnt have a consistent jumper as well
i dont say millsap is better than him but just tell me one thing,
would you rather having millsap on ur team with 7 million a yr or Jefferson with 15 million?

I think, u cant teach people basketball fundamentals after they are 25, jefferson has basketball iq no better than boozer in defensive end, and millsap plays as best as he can with his current talent but jefferson cant, he has good feet tricks or post moves around the basket but this is his only weapon, he doesnt have a consistent jumper as well
i dont say millsap is better than him but just tell me one thing,
would you rather having millsap on ur team with 7 million a yr or Jefferson with 15 million?

Jefferson. I want the better player starting. I would rather have both, but only if Millsap accepts his position as the backup PF. With Millsap as a starting PF you will never be good enough to advance very far in the playoffs.

Jefferson is far better than Boozer on defense. He challenges shots and changes the way teams attack the Jazz. He's not great but better than Boozer.

I believe PNR defense can be taught. I don't like the way the Jazz defend the PNR.

It's far easier to teach fundamentals than size and talent. If Millsap plays "as best he can with his current talent" and he's still worse than Jefferson then I definitely want Jefferson.