What's new

***Official new head coach search thread*** (merged)

This has all essentially been said in pieces in tweets but here is the long form:

https://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/2156/jazz-eye-italian-legend-messina-for-coaching-gig

The coaching search farthest removed from New York Knicks-level spotlight could prove to be one of the most fascinating of the NBA offseason.

That's because the Utah Jazz, I'm told, are on that very short list of teams that will give bonafide consideration to breaking basketball's Euro barrier on the Xs and Os side by hiring a new head coach who wasn't reared in North America.

I'm convinced the Spence Checketts noise is just him trying to rile up listeners for his radio show. Not a lot of people are going to call in about Messina, because they won't have a clue who he is. I'll bet Checketts doesn't even know who he is. But say that the coach could be Boylen? Easiest show of the year.
I would also bet that DL already has a pretty good idea where he is going with this hire. I think that is what the "insiders" are picking up on, so naturally they assume that it is somebody he has worked with before. If it is going to be Messina, one can probably also assume that the talks have already happened. It is logical to think that the best available coach is going to come from a previously untapped source, like the Euroleagues. I just can't see jumping into something like that without having some type of talks already. What is Blatt's remaining schedule?

I'm really warming to the idea of Messina. The interviews that have been posted were impressive.

Right now the only other possibilities that I'm really interested in are George Karl, Jeff Van Gundy, and Mike Longabardi.

Ron Jeremy
I assume you mean SVG with that :)

I like Gundy bros as well. Jeff would be very good(thibodeau school)for the defense that all we jazzfanz posters craving for but we might suffer on the offense and the game pace a bit. Plus he's away from coaching for quite a long time now.

Ron on the other hand has much more balanced coaching style and has always great energy on the side of the court. He is my first choice from the brothers.

I have been watching Euro BB for the last 25 years ( I live in Israel. Our clubs play in the Euroleauge , our national team in the EuroBasket) I am also a NBA and Jazz fan for as much years. I watched about 80 Jazz games this year and many others. In my opinion , the NBA is superior to Euro BB in all but one aspect - coaching. I mean, of course there are brilliant minds in NBA coaching field but here coaching can really win games. Because in many ways the team basketball, plays, spacing etc. make up for the lack of super-mega talent or athletisem (which are being 'stolen' by NBA teams...
Watching game plans of Eurobasket higher levels is sometime like chess match between the coaches.
Anyway, my point is that I will absolutely love seeing a Euro coach on the Jazz bench. Messine is genius but Blatt is even better. He is American born, played in the NCAA and have the Euro experience alongside great understanding of US players and system.
So in conclusion I honestly think that those of us who miss true 'Jazz basketball' - many assists, tons of picks, slashing and cutting, layered team plays - A.K.A a team system , should really support bringing in Messina or even better - Blatt
IMHO.
Anyway I hope we are heading into a new and better era of coaching with today's news.

yup!

I disagree, with respect. Blatt is a very good coach but I'd say Messina is on at least one level higher class.

I liked Blatt's NT campaigns with Russia though, especially the gold medal in Eurobasket 2007.

Reactions: MVP
I think DL has also misled us by saying that he hadn't made up any lists prior to letting Corbin go. I know why he said it: it would show some disrespect to Ty to hint that he had it in his mind. But I guarantee DL has been thinking about candidates ever since the decision to not extend Ty was made. If you're serious about keeping a coach, you don't make him a lame duck.

I know nothing about the Euros, but I'd say Longabardi certainly sounds intriguing. I also like Hollins. Maybe Longabardi as the HC and Messina as his #1 assistant; that has almost a rock-group sound to it: Longabardi and Messina.

I disagree, with respect. Blatt is a very good coach but I'd say Messina is on at least one level higher class.

I liked Blatt's NT campaigns with Russia though, especially the gold in Eurobasket 2007.

messina is softer

in order messina to succeed, everything around him must be almost perfect, while blatt can succeed despite the circumstances

and in nba always something goes wrong

messina is softer

in order messina to succeed, everything around him must be almost perfect, while blatt can succeed despite the circumstances

and in nba always something goes wrong
I wish Blatt had shown that toughness trait of him in Istanbul. He didn't last even a full season with Efes.

Plus most of his success are in the sub-par Israel league with the best Israeli team. He doesn't have anything in his career comparable to Messina's accomplishments except the NT medals with Russia.

I think DL has also misled us by saying that he hadn't made up any lists prior to letting Corbin go. I know why he said it: it would show some disrespect to Ty to hint that he had it in his mind. But I guarantee DL has been thinking about candidates ever since the decision to not extend Ty was made. If you're serious about keeping a coach, you don't make him a lame duck.

I know nothing about the Euros, but I'd say Longabardi certainly sounds intriguing. I also like Hollins. Maybe Longabardi as the HC and Messina as his #1 assistant; that has almost a rock-group sound to it: Longabardi and Messina.

I think he meant that they hadn't had a sit down meeting about potential coaches. Of course he's going to have ideas of who he wants to go after or people he would like as head coaches.

I wish Blatt had shown that toughness trait of him in Istanbul. He didn't last even a full season with Efes.

Plus most of his success are in the sub-par Israel league with the best Israeli team. He doesn't have anything in his career comparable to Messina's accomplishments except the NT medals with Russia.

probable semifinals in euroleague between cska and maccabi just became more interesting

It still hasn't fully recovered from boylen

Bull crap they have not recovered from Boylen. Utah will be one of the top teams in the Pac-12 next season. I went to virtually every game in the Jim Boylen era. Let's not forget, Boylen did coach the Utes to their last NCAA Tournament berth and conference championship. Sure, he made some mistakes, but, it wasn't because he wasn't working hard. Perhaps after he left the Utes and spent the last three years as first an assistant with the Pacers under Vogel and now as Popovich's top assistant in San Antonio he has learned from his mistakes. Think Terry Stotts. If the guy who we were taking about went by any other name than Jim Boylen, we would be pushing to get him. He has been an assistant with five different NBA teams (Golden State, Houston, Milwaukee, Indiana, and San Antonio). Some guys just are not the type of coach that can be successful in a college setting. But they are perfect for the NBA. Boylen is likely one of those guys. He tried to run professional-style sets in a college setting, which just does not really work. He had virtually zero experience as a college head coach, and it showed. All of his experience is at the NBA level. Perhaps he wants to redeem himself as a coach and a man.

Sent from the JazzFanz app

probable semifinals in euroleague between cska and maccabi just became more interesting

Yeah, lets see. I hope that happens. I think Maccabi can win but not so sure about CSKA because you know it's Pana and the fourth game in Greece if I'm not wrong. If I were to bet, I think I'd go with Pana. It's a tough call.

PS.. Sorry for the off-topic.

Bull crap they have not recovered from Boylen. Utah will be one of the top teams in the Pac-12 next season. I went to virtually every game in the Jim Boylen era. Let's not forget, Boylen did coach the Utes to their last NCAA Tournament berth and conference championship. Sure, he made some mistakes, but, it wasn't because he wasn't working hard. Perhaps after he left the Utes and spent the last three years as first an assistant with the Pacers under Vogel and now as Popovich's top assistant in San Antonio he has learned from his mistakes. Think Terry Stotts. If the guy who we were taking about went by any other name than Jim Boylen, we would be pushing to get him. He has been an assistant with five different NBA teams (Golden State, Houston, Milwaukee, Indiana, and San Antonio). Some guys just are not the type of coach that can be successful in a college setting. But they are perfect for the NBA. Boylen is likely one of those guys. He tried to run professional-style sets in a college setting, which just does not really work. He had virtually zero experience as a college head coach, and it showed. All of his experience is at the NBA level. Perhaps he wants to redeem himself as a coach and a man.

Sent from the JazzFanz app

I hope that by next year the utes have fully recovered I would say we are close.

Ty was assistant for Sloan and played for him. Sloan is 3rd in all time NBA w's for coaches. Being an asst to a great coach doesn't necessarily mean that that person will become one. Even if it wasn't boylen I would be opposed to a guy without HC creds. Again as somebody already put it. The position is for one of the top 30 basketball coaches in the world. Boylen doesn't make that list.

- repeat of post in Messina thread -

Two things off the top of my head, when put together lend credence to the Messina rumors.

1 - DL said they will take their time to make the right hire, and not rush things.

2 - Messina and the Euro teams are still playing.

Just a thought.

More of his interviews in English to get a feel for how he sees the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnKOLmGy4P8

Hopefully the new head coach of the Utah Jazz:

fred-hoiberg-dancing-after-beating-north-carolina.gif

- repeat of post in Messina thread -

Two things off the top of my head, when put together lend credence to the Messina rumors.

1 - DL said they will take their time to make the right hire, and not rush things.

2 - Messina and the Euro teams are still playing.

Just a thought.

How long does their season go? Have they started the playoffs?

Edit:I think I found that their final game is May 18th. Still more than a month before the draft.