What's new

Official Rubio Support thread

Rubio is a great guy but not good enough to get us to the next level. Our offense is more lethal without him. Don't mind him coming off the bench with a home town discount. If not thanks Ricky, see you around.

Guys being quite clueless. Would we like a Lillard or Curry caliber PG on the Jazz, heck yeah. Well it turns out that you can’t have it all and as it stands now, Ricky is our best option at PG.
I still don’t think it’s a good idea for Mitchell to play full PG minutes.

If someone better comes around during the summer then great, so be it, Rubio begone. But man if he hasn’t become the punching bag on this forum even when having good games. Definitely under appreciated. I’m over the unnecessary and overboard.. criticism.

There is a lot of evidence to the contrary this year.

But we'll see, maybe he'll turn it on again. Still waiting...
It's rather telling that we can win at such a high percentage without a point guard. Imagine if we had a point guard that put fear into the opponent defense due to shooting ability.

Or DM at the point with a knockdown shooter at the 2

I have been wanting to replace favors with a shooting 4 but Im starting to think that's the wrong move. Replace Rubio with a shooter and I think favors will fit much better. And as a backup center he is the best in the NBA and it's not close.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

It's rather telling that we can win at such a high percentage without a point guard. Imagine if we had a point guard that put fear into the opponent defense due to shooting ability.

I have been wanting to replace favors with a shooting 4 but Im starting to think that's the wrong move. Replace Rubio with a shooter and I think favors will fit much better. And as a backup center he is the best in the NBA and it's not close.

All this talk about replacing Rubio without giving any specific names. A shooter... okay

The team has been quite good defensively with DM in pg and I think Rubio is fine, but because of status he has to start. I think we could pivot play DM with Ingles in the backcourt and add a wing/sg and maybe Rudy/Favs works a little better.

Sample size is small and against terrible teams, but we are 8-0 without Ricky this season. 4-1 without him last year... teams were terrible just an FYI... Just not sure how necessary a pg like Rubio is and think the cap space could be allocated better and I don't like that we are forced to play him in matchups where it isn't the best and when he is struggling.

We do need a really good reliable backup because I like having DM and Ingles on the floor at the same time and when we have zero pgs it feels like they get split up a lot.

The team has been quite good defensively with DM in pg and I think Rubio is fine, but because of status he has to start. I think we could pivot play DM with Ingles in the backcourt and add a wing/sg and maybe Rudy/Favs works a little better.

Sample size is small and against terrible teams, but we are 8-0 without Ricky this season. 4-1 without him last year... teams were terrible just an FYI... Just not sure how necessary a pg like Rubio is and think the cap space could be allocated better and I don't like that we are forced to play him in matchups where it isn't the best and when he is struggling.

We do need a really good reliable backup because I like having DM and Ingles on the floor at the same time and when we have zero pgs it feels like they get split up a lot.

Thank you. A reasonable approach that I can get behind, as opposed to spewed hate that’s uncalled for.

Guys being quite clueless. Would we like a Lillard or Curry caliber PG on the Jazz, heck yeah. Well it turns out that you can’t have it all and as it stands now, Ricky is our best option at PG.
I still don’t think it’s a good idea for Mitchell to play full PG minutes.

If someone better comes around during the summer then great, so be it, Rubio begone. But man if he hasn’t become the punching bag on this forum even when having good games. Definitely under appreciated. I’m over the unnecessary and overboard.. criticism.

If anything Rubio is overvalued. He's that player that for some unexplained reason has a great personal brand. The kind of name that somebody will pay for again even though production is far from worth it.

Among guards, Rubio is:

-78th in ts%. He sucks, cant shoot.
-47th in win shares. Go find a team with a starting PG worse than Rubio.
-54th in PER.
-40th in VORP at nearly zero. Again, every team has a better starter.
-I don't know where he ranks on BPM because it's negative. 42 guards are on teams that are at minimum not losing when they are on the court. Utah loses when Rubio is on the court.
-41st amongst point guards in assist:turnovers.

This tells me Rubio at best is a guy you roll out when you have nobody else to fill the spot.

I would add that the 8-0 isn't against only terrible teams. Unless you think Denver is terrible. Also beat the clippers without him. Plus I think he left the game against the clippers and we won

Vs Knicks. Jazz win 129-97
Vs magic jazz win 106-93
Vs Lakers. Jazz win 113-95
Vs bulls. Jazz win 110-102
Vs pistons. Jazz win 100-94
Vs clippers. Jazz win 129-109
Vs Cavs. Jazz win 115-99
Vs Denver jazz win 111-104

So ya lots of bad teams. But a couple of good ones in there too. Every game over 100 points.

Last year.
Vs grizzlies. Jazz win 107-97
Vs Suns. Jazz win 107-97
Vs Spurs. Jazz win 101-99
Vs. Trailblazers. Jazz win 115-96
Vs nets. Jazz lose 107-118

A couple good teams and some bad teams.
Every game over 100 points again.

We struggled without him in the playoffs against the rockets losing 4 of 5. Against the thunder he played 7 minutes in game 6 and we won 96-91.
In the thunder series he shot 35% from the field and 31% from three. I do remember him playing a big role in that series though being a pest and he did average 7 assists and 7 rebounds in that series.

I like the guy but doesn't seem like he is really important to our success. I feel that you could replace him with lots of guys and we wouldn't get worse. Hell if neto could stay healthy I think he could take Rubio's place and we wouldnt notice all that much.

I would add that the 8-0 isn't against only terrible teams. Unless you think Denver is terrible. Also beat the clippers without him. Plus I think he left the game against the clippers and we won

Vs Knicks. Jazz win 129-97
Vs magic jazz win 106-93
Vs Lakers. Jazz win 113-95
Vs bulls. Jazz win 110-102
Vs pistons. Jazz win 100-94
Vs clippers. Jazz win 129-109
Vs Cavs. Jazz win 115-99
Vs Denver jazz win 111-104

So ya lots of bad teams. But a couple of good ones in there too. Every game over 100 points.

Last year.
Vs grizzlies. Jazz win 107-97
Vs Suns. Jazz win 107-97
Vs Spurs. Jazz win 101-99
Vs. Trailblazers. Jazz win 115-96
Vs nets. Jazz lose 107-118

A couple good teams and some bad teams.
Every game over 100 points again.

We struggled without him in the playoffs against the rockets losing 4 of 5. Against the thunder he played 7 minutes in game 6 and we won 96-91.
In the thunder series he shot 35% from the field and 31% from three. I do remember him playing a big role in that series though being a pest and he did average 7 assists and 7 rebounds in that series.

I like the guy but doesn't seem like he is really important to our success. I feel that you could replace him with lots of guys and we wouldn't get worse. Hell if neto could stay healthy I think he could take Rubio's place and we wouldnt notice all that much.

A Darren Collison type guy would be great and there isn't as much pressure to play a guy like that because of league stature. I'd like to see us be more progressive and just get another good shooting wing and play bigger... that **** don't grow on trees doe.

If a great pg was the best talent upgrade we can get then fantastic let's do it. Otherwise I don't think we need a point guard... DM/Ingles are the starting pg... Dante if he is ever consistently good and healthy would work, but I ain't banking on that.

If anything Rubio is overvalued. He's that player that for some unexplained reason has a great personal brand. The kind of name that somebody will pay for again even though production is far from worth it.

Among guards, Rubio is:

-78th in ts%. He sucks, cant shoot.
-47th in win shares. Go find a team with a starting PG worse than Rubio.
-54th in PER.
-40th in VORP at nearly zero. Again, every team has a better starter.
-I don't know where he ranks on BPM because it's negative. 42 guards are on teams that are at minimum not losing when they are on the court. Utah loses when Rubio is on the court.
-41st amongst point guards in assist:turnovers.

This tells me Rubio at best is a guy you roll out when you have nobody else to fill the spot.

Cool.

The travesty to think that Neto could fill in Rubio's shoes. You guys have made clear that you think that our starting PG sucks ***.

The travesty to think that Neto could fill in Rubio's shoes. You guys have made clear that you think that our starting PG sucks ***.
I think neto has led the jazz in net rating for the last two years though. Of course that is in limited time against mostly backups but there is still something to that. Maybe neto is underrated?

Would be cool to see stats of Rubio vs starters and neto vs starters. I would guess neto would have the better production.