What's new

Official Rudy Gobert Trade Ideas Thread

As long as Don is getting paid as much as possible, he's taking care of #1. He's gotten endorsements well ahead of most other good players.

I've been thinking this for a while, but Rudy is the question mark. I think they just make it work. If Don had his choice, I think he would want to be the focus. If he is given 3 or 4 years as "the man" for Utah, I think he would be fine staying long term. If he continues to battle with Rudy for the team's focus, I think he could leave for a chance to be the focus.
I don't think there's any question anywhere that this is Donovan's team. If there was any question, it was answered in the god damn Clippers series.

Been thinking about the former a lot. Also fantasizing about making Sam Presti team president or whatever title and pay that would coax him away from OKC (though I'm sure that would've happened by now if it was going to).

Also... I'm real tepid on Q. Every coach has their warts, but at least a Rick Carlisle would come with a new perspective.

Don’t we kind of feel like the 2012-2014 Warriors?

Consistent 1st/2nd round team. Mark Jackson did a good job with them from when he started but the limitations were there.

They bring in Kerr and make a trade for Iguodala and boom.

Feels like we’re in a similar boat and what is going to happen is we’re keeping Mark Jackson and not trading for Iguodala.

Different players of course but sometime change is good. I doubt we move on from Quin but with Carlisle out there it has to be tempting.

the concern now is that the case to keep him around is like right now. If you wait until the year of free agency to make changes that are long overdue or try to cram in a few things right before he makes a decision it likely is too late... the Gordan Hayward issue but this time with a real bonafide star.
Oh for sure. I'm just saying he's not gonna push himself out in the next few years. I've already kinda resigned myself to the Jazz continuing to botch this and Donovan's gone when the window approaches.

I don't think there's any question anywhere that this is Donovan's team. If there was any question, it was answered in the god damn Clippers series.
It should be his team, but it's Rudy's team. The table is set around him.

If in the offseason, we S&T Conley and position DM to play more PG, then I'll think differently.

If any bombshell is happening I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Donovan said something of the sort of trade me or Rudy. You obviously have to trade Rudy at that point. I just don’t see the relationship getting any better between them. It’s one thing if it’s a Shaq/Kobe situation where they both know they are best being together but Gobert is no Shaq.

If in the offseason, we S&T Conley and position DM to play PG, then I'll think differently.

It is Donovan’s team. If the front office is forced to trade either one it would be Rudy.

Oh for sure. I'm just saying he's not gonna push himself out in the next few years. I've already kinda resigned myself to the Jazz continuing to botch this and Donovan's gone when the window approaches.
I get I’m a random poster. I read a lot on here and rarely post. I don’t know when Donovan will decide he’s going to leave, but I’d bet it’s within the next couple years. The team being a big winner is possibly the only think that’s has a prayer of keeping him long term and even then, my understanding would be it’s much more the place than the Jazz that he hates which makes it far more difficult to keep him around very long.

You can believe my source or not, but don’t imply I’m that guy ha.
I have no reason to know whether or not I should believe your source, because I have no idea who you are, who your source is, or if you even have a source or are just trying to get a rise.

It wouldn’t surprise me though to hear that an African-American kid from the east coast doesn’t love living in Utah.

It is Donovan’s team. If the front office is forced to trade either one it would be Rudy.
I agree that it should be, but nothing has ever been said or arranged or stated that tells me the Utah Jazz is Donovan's team.

I do think they would trade Rudy if they had to trade one.

I have no reason to know whether or not I should believe your source, because I have no idea who you are, who your source is, or if you even have a source or are just trying to get a rise.

It wouldn’t surprise me though to hear that an African-American kid from the east coast doesn’t love living in Utah.
For sure, and I’m a big Jazz fan and love the team and I get just coming on here and dropping that is questionable, so to those questioning me I would simply say the last thing I’d want is Donovan not in this state or as a part of this franchise, I think he’s good for everything here in so many ways. I would just say to those questioning me that you can believe me or you don’t have to, but what I posted is far from what I want to be true.

The place and people. I don’t think he has major issues with the organization.

I mean sure he does, but you have to consider as a fan you probably only have a couple more seasons left of him on the team. That’s just my opinion. And as for being active in the community, have you noticed how that has got less and less? His first 2 years were golden, he laid it on thick I agree.

If you’d like to send me a private message you’re welcome to.
I don't live in Utah anymore so his engagement is pretty hard to observe from outside the community, but that's an interesting observation

I'm a big Mitchell fan boy and I can admit that.

But does COVID have anything to do with his lessened engagement over the last 18 months or so? I work for a city and I know that everything, philanthropic endeavors included, have taken a major hit since the beginning of 2020. People just aren't doing those things, especially gathering in public, quite as much as they used to.

I said this before last summer, but this coming summer is now the most important summer we have had in a long, long time.

If in the offseason, we S&T Conley and position DM to play more PG, then I'll think differently.
Yes and no... I think the team is built around both guys. Mike helps Donovan and the Clips series showed how Donovan needs other playmakers around him. If they blitz and double you have to have other guys.

Ideally that would be a wing but that's like the hardest thing to find. RoCo went for two firsts and he can't even dribble a basketball. I think Mike helps Rudy a lot but he also helps all the others. The rest of the guys feed into both Rudy and Don's strengths... Bojan with his shooting and Royce as a low usage defender.

The issue to me at this point is we are way capped out. Rudy is going to have his playoff limitations. You might be able to work around them but it requires getting other supporting players that are flexible. If Rudy guards the perimeter and the rest of the defenders are good I have a hard time seeing the big benefit of having Rudy on the court. If rudy stays in the middle we give open three pointers? Now that he is locked in to a bigger deal and we don't have a low Donovan cap number that flexibility gets even harder to find... so now magically we find it?

I just have a hard time seeing us get what we need without moving Rudy... I have an equally hard time seeing how we get better if we move Rudy for other pieces... I would have thought Quin/DL would have an answer for 5-out or shooting 5s by now since it has been an issue for 4-5 years... so I am thinking there is no answer. So do you throw out "really good" for a small chance at "better" but most likely "worse but different"?

Yes and no... I think the team is built around both guys. Mike helps Donovan and the Clips series showed how Donovan needs other playmakers around him. If they blitz and double you have to have other guys.

Ideally that would be a wing but that's like the hardest thing to find. RoCo went for two firsts and he can't even dribble a basketball. I think Mike helps Rudy a lot but he also helps all the others. The rest of the guys feed into both Rudy and Don's strengths... Bojan with his shooting and Royce as a low usage defender.

The issue to me at this point is we are way capped out. Rudy is going to have his playoff limitations. You might be able to work around them but it requires getting other supporting players that are flexible. If Rudy guards the perimeter and the rest of the defenders are good I have a hard time seeing the big benefit of having Rudy on the court. If rudy stays in the middle we give open three pointers? Now that he is locked in to a bigger deal and we don't have a low Donovan cap number that flexibility gets even harder to find... so now magically we find it?

I just have a hard time seeing us get what we need without moving Rudy... I have an equally hard time seeing how we get better if we move Rudy for other pieces... I would have thought Quin/DL would have an answer for 5-out or shooting 5s by now since it has been an issue for 4-5 years... so I am thinking there is no answer. So do you throw out "really good" for a small chance at "better" but most likely "worse but different"?
I just don't see that.

The last 4 main additions to this roster:

Favors - brought in to back up Rudy so we can continue to play Rudy style ball when Rudy sits

Clarkson - shoot first small guard who isn't a good defender. This addition helped the team, but he isn't a good fit on the floor with Don at all.

Bojan - I can see this a move that helps both Rudy and Don. But he was brought in more because Favors didn't space for Rudy but Bojan would.

Conley - he's a ball dominant PG who was never a spot up shooter. He's not a good defender anymore and he's small.

We haven't made a single move that was a clear - let's build around Don. We haven't gotten a wing defender who helps preserve Don for the offensive end. There are a few things that we could do to make his life easier and we never did. But we have for Rudy.

He will also have the benefit of seeing how Dame and Beal stayed on a treadmill too long and Dame may even say "homie... loyalty is good but take care of number 1"

I won't blame him for asking out or leaving... just want honesty throughout and hope he cooperates to get us something back if he does leave. I doubt it hurts his image to ask out of Utah... most would be saying its about damn time. I will likely re-assess my fanhood at that point. Not that the person is flawed but the model is no fun.

I dame has been taken care of. His loyalty has earned him hella money and he is a god in Portland.
He could have went somewhere else and not a fit a ring.
It isn't like leaving what you have is a guaranteed ring. There is a saying, "the grass isn't always greener on the other side"

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I just don't see that.

The last 4 main additions to this roster:

Favors - brought in to back up Rudy so we can continue to play Rudy style ball when Rudy sits

Clarkson - shoot first small guard who isn't a good defender. This addition helped the team, but he isn't a good fit on the floor with Don at all.

Bojan - I can see this a move that helps both Rudy and Don. But he was brought in more because Favors didn't space for Rudy but Bojan would.

Conley - he's a ball dominant PG who was never a spot up shooter. He's not a good defender anymore and he's small.

We haven't made a single move that was a clear - let's build around Don. We haven't gotten a wing defender who helps preserve Don for the offensive end. There are a few things that we could do to make his life easier and we never did. But we have for Rudy.
Favs - I'll give you that but I also think he was brought in because he has a relationship with Rudy and Don and can help with that side of things.

JC - Let's talk about this... we brought on JC because we wanted to dump an extra year of Exum on someone. JC was a fine rental opportunity imo... and then it ended up working out... so not perfect but not like a lot of foresight and construction was considered there imo.

Bojan - helps both guys.

Conley isn't ball dominant and is a great spot up shooter. He helps take pressure off of Donovan. I wish he was 6-7 and could guard wings, but outside of that he's a great fit with both guys.

I think Bojan/Royce/Rudy are all guys that need to be fed for the most part... Donovan and Mike can get they own food. Mike helps others more than Donovan and removes that primary responsibility. Donovan might be a better passer by now if that was on him but he also might have taken a hit from a scoring perspective. He needs help and gets as many scoring opportunities as he wants.

I think the system on both sides of the ball helps Rudy maximize his abilities. In the regular season Donovan benefits from it on the defensive end for sure. I do wonder if they found a guy that could pass and shoot a bit if Donovan could get a little better offensively.

IDK its not perfect I guess.

It’s funny, there’s 2 people on this thread who have said they’ve actually heard he doesn’t like being here and yet some of you don’t want to hear it simply because I’m an ******* over it and have been for a long time. I’ll readily admit I have no sources, but sometimes your gut is right.