What's new

Official Rudy Gobert Trade Ideas Thread

Add to the top paragraph "that also isn't friends with the other franchise cornerstone".

Let's not trade anymore future picks... I think the re-build is 2-3 season away. I hope we do it right this time. This dance we did with Hayward not quite on Rudy's timeline who is then not quite on Don's timeline is tough.
I'm down to trade future picks, but the player(s) coming back cannot be on the brink of falling off a cliff from old age. That **** is ***.

The Jazz should definitely be operating under the assumption that Donovan leaves once he's able to, regardless of the success of the team, but that success might keep him. Whether Donovan loves it or not is much, much less important to me than that he is professional in the most important ways and is focused on winning here.

This notion that Donovan will carry us will result in a handful of mediocre years and nothing to show for it. He's awesome, but he's not that type of talent.
No player is good enough to carry a team to any sort of relevance by themselves. MJ was terrible before Pippen. LeBron did the most ever by taking that bad Cavs team to the Finals.

I'm not concerned about him leaving. I'm concerned about him getting frustrated with the roster dynamic and then I'll be concerned about him leaving. So far, I see no reason to believe that he wants to go.

Add to the top paragraph "that also isn't friends with the other franchise cornerstone".

Let's not trade anymore future picks... I think the re-build is 2-3 season away. I hope we do it right this time. This dance we did with Hayward not quite on Rudy's timeline who is then not quite on Don's timeline is tough.
Yep, the best we can hope for is that Don telegraphs his intentions enough that we can trade him for something before we lose him for nothing. Honestly, if this is where things are headed, it wouldn’t be the worst offseason for him to demand a trade. We would get quite the haul for him right now.

No player is good enough to carry a team to any sort of relevance by themselves. MJ was terrible before Pippen. LeBron did the most ever by taking that bad Cavs team to the Finals.

I'm not concerned about him leaving. I'm concerned about him getting frustrated with the roster dynamic and then I'll be concerned about him leaving. So far, I see no reason to believe that he wants to go.
It's a long contract and players tend to leave at the end of them. And from where I sit, the team is just gonna get worse every year for a few years.

Again, we should assume he's gone as we get close to the end of the contract. That means doing what it takes in the intervening years to make them count. And hey, if it goes well enough, MAYBE he stays.

I'm just going to flat out say I have heard from someone as a fairly reasonable source that he hates it here and leave it at that. I get that everyone fell in love with rookie Donovan who laid it on thick. I would say there's 0% chance he stays beyond that opt out year and likely asks for a trade prior to that. If some of you haven't seen a noticeable change in him I think you're just not paying attention or trying to ignore it.
Hi oneye

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Yep, the best we can hope for is that Don telegraphs his intentions enough that we can trade him for something before we lose him for nothing. Honestly, if this is where things are headed, it wouldn’t be the worst offseason for him to demand a trade. We would get quite the haul for him right now.
That's not where I'd go, but if they were to, they should also trade Gobert while they're at it and do a proper ****ing rebuild for god damn once.

What was the benefit of the treadmill Corbin years, again?

Nah... we owe a lightly protected pick to Memphis next year... the tear down would likely start after that pick conveys. Donovan will have enormous trade value when/if we went that route.

I hold out a little hope here in that the NBA may do something extreme to help stars stay with teams that drafted them. They tried and failed before. Rumblings are starting earlier and earlier now... I guess Zion wants out of NO... has had one healthy damn season. Luka has some discontent surrounding him... If it gets worse than it currently is it is really hard for the NBA model to survive having 25 farm teams. We shall see.

It's a long contract and players tend to leave at the end of them. And from where I sit, the team is just gonna get worse every year for a few years.

Again, we should assume he's gone as we get close to the end of the contract. That means doing what it takes in the intervening years to make them count. And hey, if it goes well enough, MAYBE he stays.
I think he cares about his image. It would tarnish his image if he ever demanded a trade.

I think Don will be a lot like Dame and Beal. Those guys have stayed loyal, and I see no reason Don won't either. The only difference between them is that those guys can run their franchises. Right now, we are built around and defer to Rudy. Maybe that makes it different for Don from Beal and Dame.

I think he cares about his image. It would tarnish his image if he ever demanded a trade.

I think Don will be a lot like Dame and Beal. Those guys have stayed loyal, and I see no reason Don won't either. The only difference between them is that those guys can run their franchises. Right now, we are built around and defer to Rudy. Maybe that makes it different for Don from Beal and Dame.
I would prefer he demanded a trade, as we all should.

This is pure comedy at this point.

Random JF poster comes along and says that he heard from a good source that Mitchell hates it here.

Oneye pops up and takes this as validation for everything he has said lmao.

Mitchell signed an extension with us and at the point a decision may have to be made on his future it will be 7-8 great years. That’s all you can really ask for in today’s day and age.

Who knows what happens 3-4 years from now. We may have his buddy Jaylen Brown under contract and he loves it here.

I think in two years he's eligible for a small extension... that is when you really take a serious temperature on what is happening.

Dangerous time right now... if we pivoted away from Rudy and some others for younger guys and it worked it might keep him here another 4-5 years. It fails and he's likely asking out next year.

I have zero faith in current management to get this right. At this point I'm honestly cool with Trader Danny coming in (would prefer something else but at least he is capable of making hard calls and bold moves). I hate him so much though.

I would prefer he demanded a trade, as we all should.
Publicly? Heck no. Letting the owners privately know he'd prefer it, I guess that's better than just leaving.

I just don't see why he demands a trade at this point. If he was, he would have signed a shorter max deal.

I think in two years he's eligible for a small extension... that is when you really take a serious temperature on what is happening.

Dangerous time right now... if we pivoted away from Rudy and some others for younger guys and it worked it might keep him here another 4-5 years. It fails and he's likely asking out next year.

I have zero faith in current management to get this right. At this point I'm honestly cool with Trader Danny coming in (would prefer something else but at least he is capable of making hard calls and bold moves). I hate him so much though.

What happens if we don’t re-sign Conley and we regress this upcoming season. Our guys are only getting older and we don’t have one single guy on Donovan’s timeline lol. Just poor managing. But what do we know we’re just posters on JazzFanz.

He will also have the benefit of seeing how Dame and Beal stayed on a treadmill too long and Dame may even say "homie... loyalty is good but take care of number 1"

I won't blame him for asking out or leaving... just want honesty throughout and hope he cooperates to get us something back if he does leave. I doubt it hurts his image to ask out of Utah... most would be saying its about damn time. I will likely re-assess my fanhood at that point. Not that the person is flawed but the model is no fun.

Been thinking about the former a lot. Also fantasizing about making Sam Presti team president or whatever title and pay that would coax him away from OKC (though I'm sure that would've happened by now if it was going to).

Also... I'm real tepid on Q. Every coach has their warts, but at least a Rick Carlisle would come with a new perspective.

Publicly? Heck no. Letting the owners privately know he'd prefer it, I guess that's better than just leaving.

I just don't see why he demands a trade at this point. If he was, he would have signed a shorter max deal.
I'm not concerned about anything for a few years. I don't know why anyone would be.

Been thinking about the former a lot. Also fantasizing about making Sam Presti team president or whatever title and pay that would coax him away from OKC (though I'm sure that would've happened by now if it was going to).

Also... I'm real tepid on Q. Every coach has their warts, but at least a Rick Carlisle would come with a new perspective.
Trade Quin for a first and hire Rick? I think there are others I'd prefer as I have heard Rick sucks with people... and that is a big part of the job.

I'd like to get Igor back or Bryant... I like parts of what Quin does. I'm not smart enough to figure out what adjustments he has available to him outside of personnel.

He will also have the benefit of seeing how Dame and Beal stayed on a treadmill too long and Dame may even say "homie... loyalty is good but take care of number 1"

I won't blame him for asking out or leaving... just want honesty throughout and hope he cooperates to get us something back if he does leave. I doubt it hurts his image to ask out of Utah... most would be saying its about damn time. I will likely re-assess my fanhood at that point. Not that the person is flawed but the model is no fun.
As long as Don is getting paid as much as possible, he's taking care of #1. He's gotten endorsements well ahead of most other good players.

I've been thinking this for a while, but Rudy is the question mark. I think they just make it work. If Don had his choice, I think he would want to be the focus. If he is given 3 or 4 years as "the man" for Utah, I think he would be fine staying long term. If he continues to battle with Rudy for the team's focus, I think he could leave for a chance to be the focus.

I'm not concerned about anything for a few years. I don't know why anyone would be.
the concern now is that the case to keep him around is like right now. If you wait until the year of free agency to make changes that are long overdue or try to cram in a few things right before he makes a decision it likely is too late... the Gordan Hayward issue but this time with a real bonafide star.