What's new

Official Rudy Gobert Trade Ideas Thread

These guys aren't "bad" for Don, but they aren't guys who support a Don led initiative.

Mike Conley

Ball dominant
Had zero history being a spot up shooter and took him over a year to really figure out that role
Not a good defender
Didn't let Don be the smallest guy on the court and worst defender

Jordan Clarkson

Simply a ball dominant scorer
Not really a spot up shooter but is okay there
If he existed to spell Don 12 minutes a game, fine. But his role, contract, everything requires him to play 24 mpg or more. He simply doesn't fit well next to Don.

Derrick Favors

We signed him to back up Rudy
We signed him to be Rudy light

I think the only guy on the team that was added due to Don Mitchell was Royce. He and Don were friends, and Don backed him to become a better NBA player. Without their friendship, would Royce have really been given a chance? Many wanted to dump him. If we had another Royce for Conley and another Royce for Clarkson and another Royce type for Favors, I argue we would be just as good for playoff basketball as with Clarkson, Favors and Conley.
I don’t think those moves were made specifically for Rudy, though. Clarkson was supposed to be a rental whose purposes were to be better than Exum and then expire. Conley is a guy that DL has targeted for years and for various reasons. Bojan was the guy that would sign. I honestly couldn’t tell you why Favors was signed besides abject laziness.

Again, I don’t think these are moves that come at the expense of Mitchell, and I think the shortcomings are that the FO is lazy.

Speaking to this idea of how to build around a player like Donovan... the only things I am sure would qualify are providing spacing and being a similar age. They certainly ****ed up the latter, but it seems the former works for all parties. If we wanted to go further, having an all-time great defensive player and efficient player helps cushion Donovan’s two biggest weaknesses.

I don’t think those moves were made specifically for Rudy, though. Clarkson was supposed to be a rental whose purposes were to be better than Exum and then expire. Conley is a guy that DL has targeted for years and for various reasons. Bojan was the guy that would sign. I honestly couldn’t tell you why Favors was signed besides abject laziness.

Again, I don’t think these are moves that come at the expense of Mitchell, and I think the shortcomings are that the FO is lazy.
I give them credit for the JC move in that he was a more useful expiring and they got off the terrible Exum deal (that was bad on the day it was signed) for only a second.

But if anyone thinks they saw JC being this useful then you aren't really paying attention... by all accounts they were surprised. It was a little bit of luck and then they were like... I guess we gotta keep him.

For playoff seeding, I agree with you. For the playoffs....

If we traded Rudy for two capable two-way wings, I think we have a better shot of winning a title with some luck than we do with Rudy and our current roster around him.
For the playoffs, as well. Until Mitchell becomes the guy who guards the opposition's best scorer, he's even more of a one-way player than Gobert. It's just the way most people like.

I remember watching the Suns as well as the Clippers. All their guys try to lock down on defense. There's no reason you can't have Gobert and play defense like that on the wings.

For the playoffs, as well. Until Mitchell becomes the guy who guards the opposition's best scorer, he's even more of a one-way player than Gobert. It's just the way most people like.

I remember watching the Suns as well as the Clippers. All their guys try to lock down on defense. There's no reason you can't have Gobert and play defense like that on the wings.
This is kind of the problem in a nutshell. Unless the best player is a big we don't have anyone to guard the other team's best player. We ask our all-world center to guard the other team's hot shooting guard because none of our guards can.

Mitchell is basically worthless on defense to the point where we go to great lengths to cover him up, but he completely gets a pass for some reason on playing turnstile defense. I get he's bearing the scoring load but if his D were better maybe we wouldn't need the offensive heroics.

Speaking to this idea of how to build around a player like Donovan... the only things I am sure would qualify are providing spacing and being a similar age. They certainly ****ed up the latter, but it seems the former works for all parties. If we wanted to go further, having an all-time great defensive player and efficient player helps cushion Donovan’s two biggest weaknesses.
Clarkson was brought in to shed Exum, but look at what it was. We traded a big defensive backcourt player for a small offensive backcourt player. Don needs a defensive counterpart in the backcourt with him. I know it wasn't made for Rudy, but Clarkson definitely wasn't traded so he can compliment Don.

After looking at all that transpired, we should have just kept Rubio and signed Bojan. We probably would have beaten Denver (we would have had Crowder and Rubio) and I think the Clippers too.

We need defensive players for the perimeter who are at least 30% 3 point shooters. It isn't easy to get those guys but it surely isn't impossible.

This is nonsense. He needs to be able to defend, but......

Outside of LeBron one or two years and Kawhi one year, no title team's best player guards the other team's best player.

MJ didn't - Pippen did
Kobe didn't - Odom, Ariza, guys like that did
Steph didn't - Klay did

Superstar offensive players don't guard the opposing player's best offensive player. It's an illogical use of energy that few have ever done.

Outside of LeBron one or two years and Kawhi one year, no title team's best player guards the other team's best player.

MJ didn't - Pippen did
Steph didn't - Klay did

Superstar offensive players don't guard the opposing player's best offensive player. It's an illogical use of energy that few have ever done.
MJ and Kobe were both elite defenders though. They don't guard the opposing teams best player though.

MJ and Kobe were both elite defenders though. They don't guard the opposing teams best player though.
They were very good defenders for sure, but they weren't required to get that opposing team's best player.

Just imagine how good MJ had it. Against the Sonics, Pippen guarded Gary Payton. Against the Jazz, Pippen is guarding Stockton. Against the Pacers, Pippen is guarding Reggie so MJ can guard Jackson.

When MJ guarded Isaih, he got torched then Phil realized he should be guarding Isaih with Pippen. There's a reason why guys like Iverson, MJ and Steph are always so high in steals. They play more space than man because they have better defenders on their team to guard the other team's best player.

MJ didn't - Pippen did
Steph didn't - Klay did

MJ and Kobe both had multiple all-defensive-team selections. Gtfoh with that ********. You see Mitchell ever getting even one?

And the warriors had the players to make up for Steph's lack of D. But Steph's D was also underrated.

MJ and Kobe both had multiple all-defensive-team selections. Gtfoh with that ********. You see Mitchell ever getting even one?

And the warriors had the players to make up for Steph's lack of D. But Steph's D was also underrated.
I never said that Don was on the level as those guys as defenders. I simply refuted the statement that someone said that Don won't be legit or something until he starts guarding the other team's best player. It was a stupid comment.

But Don actually did shut down Murray in Game 7 against Denver in the 2nd half, but he ran out of steam carrying the offense and defense in that 2nd half. Of course Glass Mike didn't come through when we needed him.

One last thing - Michael Jordan is the single most overrated player in league history. Still a legend, but his DPOY award was the biggest insult to basketball maybe ever. Jordan was never even the best defender on his own team. Phil Jackson said that.

If Gobert had Ayton's offensive skillset the Jazz would be playing the Suns in the conference finals right now instead of the Clippers.

If Gobert had Ayton's offensive skillset the Jazz would be playing the Suns in the conference finals right now instead of the Clippers.
Agreed.
Imagine if he had hakeems offensive skillset. We would win all the championships.
Of course if gobert had either of those players skillsets he probably wouldn't have been available at the 27th pick. There is a reason that guys like Ayton and Hakeem are usually top 3 picks and guys like gobert aren't.

One other thing to add, imagine if ayton had goberts defensive ability

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I never said that Don was on the level as those guys as defenders. I simply refuted the statement that someone said that Don won't be legit or something until he starts guarding the other team's best player. It was a stupid comment.

But Don actually did shut down Murray in Game 7 against Denver in the 2nd half, but he ran out of steam carrying the offense and defense in that 2nd half. Of course Glass Mike didn't come through when we needed him.

One last thing - Michael Jordan is the single most overrated player in league history. Still a legend, but his DPOY award was the biggest insult to basketball maybe ever. Jordan was never even the best defender on his own team. Phil Jackson said that.
Yeah take on the best player is not expected, agreed, but he has the tools to be at least a ++ defender, but he's barely a break-even defender even if he's applying himself. Corralling Murray is hardly top-notch defense, it really just shows that if we had had anyone who could just bother him he would never have had 2 fifty-point games.

And Jordan might be overrated but only someone who never watched the guy would question his defensive abilities. You don't get overrated onto 9 all-defense first teams, especially before he really took over the league. He won his DPOY 3 years before he even got to the finals.

But back to Mitchell, I really hope he works on that aspect of his game, we need him to be able to be a pesky defender and at least bother opposing guards. Murray is a great example of this. Frankly Donovan has the tools to have just plain shut Murray down but he really didn't do anything to slow him down until it was really too late. He needs to be better. Period.

But back to Mitchell, I really hope he works on that aspect of his game, we need him to be able to be a pesky defender and at least bother opposing guards. Murray is a great example of this. Frankly Donovan has the tools to have just plain shut Murray down but he really didn't do anything to slow him down until it was really too late. He needs to be better. Period.
Here's where getting another 2 way player would help his game dramastically. At the current moment I think Don has to expend so much energy on the offensive end that he can seem somewhat turned off on the defensive end (I wouldn't be shocked if this is Quin telling him to do this basically saying you have Rudy behind you save your energy because you need him to create on offense). If you have a 2nd guy who can pick up the slack on both ends he can raise that defensive energy without sacrificing too much of the energy spent on offense.

Here's where getting another 2 way player would help his game dramastically. At the current moment I think Don has to expend so much energy on the offensive end that he can seem somewhat turned off on the defensive end (I wouldn't be shocked if this is Quin telling him to do this basically saying you have Rudy behind you save your energy because you need him to create on offense). If you have a 2nd guy who can pick up the slack on both ends he can raise that defensive energy without sacrificing too much of the energy spent on offense.
The problem here is that he's actually had plenty of offensive help and it hasn't changed his defensive performance. I'm afraid he's probably just bad.