What's new

Offseason SG & SF Pursuit

In order I would pursue:

SG: Nick Young, Aaron Afflalo, Andre Iguadala
SF: Granger, Battier, AK

Pieces used: I would be willing to part with the right mixture of any of the following to land any of these prospects: Memo, Evans, CJ, Bell, GSW pick, NJ pick if 6-7 etc.

For example: If we could land Granger for the NJ pick and Memo, I would do it.

How to secure any of these players:
N. Young: throw a wicked contract at the guy and hope they don't match...maybe include the GSW pick to give the incentive not to match.
A Afflalo throw a contract at him, after hopefully somebody does the same with JR Smith and then hope that they decide to keep JR Smith. Maybe offer Memo straight up in a sign and trade. I think they would take Memo.
Iggy: I think at the end of the year Philly will look to shed money and would take Memo & CJ straight up for him....maybe we include our late lottery pick to secure him if needed. Iggy would be great here if Jazz management can take on the contract. He is a stud defender and strong offensively.
Granger: It may take the NJ pick, CJ and Memo.
Battier: Good contract and sales job.
Ak: Fair contract.

Why Battier over AK: I love AK, and the signing of Battier would essentially end Ak's run. But AK isn't a leader and this young team needs a leader, and unfortunately Bell hasn't provided what I expected he would. Battier would ad a toughness to our team that we currently lack.

We need a SG who can shoot the 3, and score. Someone young and relatively established: Young, Afflalo, and Iggy all fit the bill. I would prefer the first two because I think with the new CBA they will be on better contracts.

I think I would amend the choice to put Afflalo over Young. He is a little bit better shooter and would also hurt a division opponent. I also sense he has a little more of a stronger pedigree. He came from UCLA's winning teams and was a leader there. He was also part of the post Piston Championship teams that were still strong, and he has spent a lot of time with the consummate pro...Chancey Billups and has really learned the game from him, Joe Dumars, Rip Hamilton etc. I think there is also a little more risk in Young who is doing this all on a weak team and only this one year.

I want Affallo. I would give him 5 million a year for 5 years. He is exactly what we need.

I know this next proposal is not a good one but if there is nobody to sign we should get Deshawn Stevenson. He is still a good man to man defender and he is shooting better from the 3 point line than anyone we have. He is 29. Of course only do this if we trade Raja Bell. That is a worst case scenario though. lol I know i will get crap for this.

Young would be horrible for team chemistry. His is only a scorer and he doesn't get to the free throw line and he has no playmaking skills. BIG NO!

Affallo all the way. And over pay him if we need to. He would be great coming off screens something the Nuggets don't do along with his great outside shot and defense.

I want Affallo. I would give him 5 million a year for 5 years. He is exactly what we need.

I know this next proposal is not a good one but if there is nobody to sign we should get Deshawn Stevenson. He is still a good man to man defender and he is shooting better from the 3 point line than anyone we have. He is 29. Of course only do this if we trade Raja Bell. That is a worst case scenario though. lol I know i will get crap for this.
The whole of Jazz Fanz could not possibly deliver to your door the amount of crap you deserve for suggesting that we sign Deshawn Stevenson. He was an idiot while on our team, but he's taken it to a new level since leaving. Bringing Stevenson back would make bringing Ostertag back look like a stroke of genius by comparison.

Young would be horrible for team chemistry. His is only a scorer and he doesn't get to the free throw line and he has no playmaking skills. BIG NO!

We need a scorer at the 2, we have for awhile. As for your other two points but correct me if im wrong but he is a second year player, he has plenty of time for improvement. That being said I would love Affalo as well, but I think Young will end up being the better player.

Shane Battier would be Raja Bell II.

Dude is on the downside of his career. We don't need aging vets on their last leg when we're realistically years away from competing.

The whole of Jazz Fanz could not possibly deliver to your door the amount of crap you deserve for suggesting that we sign Deshawn Stevenson. He was an idiot while on our team, but he's taken it to a new level since leaving. Bringing Stevenson back would make bringing Ostertag back look like a stroke of genius by comparison.

It just tells you how the current SG situation has driven some fans to the brink of insanity.
KOC is a genius allright

We're not getting Granger or Iggy either. Those guys are going to command a LOT of money and surely won't want to play in SLC.

The Jazz can dangle Millsap and a pick and see if they can get anything good at the 2 spot. But mostly likely you expect them to do the usual stuff, sign a bunch of picks, cut their losses from this year and talk about building a team for a championship.

Seriously moderators, can we please squash this repeat 1000 times because we either think we're better than other posters or we're too damned lazy to read for like, what, 1/2 an hour bull ****? Banish these dumbass boneheaded fart chasers already. Or, MAKE ME HONORARY THREAD DELETING MODERATOR for one full week, maybe two, or three...

Look, there's a thread that already says THE EXACT SAME ****ING THING. And, it is very recent... not a week old, not even a few days old, but very ****ing recent: https://jazzfanz.com/showthread.php?4942-Early-look-at-FA-in-2011

I'm now upping the ante. Not only is anyone who starts gabrage getting big interwebs punishment (+maybe BOX), but also anyone who posts in this garbage is getting stalked. Big time, homies. Now Crack a Beer! and get loose for me.

I think Jazz fans need to realize that building a good team here in Utah is going to be different than other places.

Utah is one of the most unique places in the NBA. Small market, dominated by a conservative white community, a limited night club/tourist base, and a religion that preaches heavily sabbath day observance. This doesn't attract many NBA players.

So the Jazz will need to overpay to just retain their own players. This leaves less money available to be able to pursue other FAs.

Combine this with the recent trend of big time players teaming up in big time markets. Things are only going to be harder and harder for franchises like Utah to compete with the LAs, Miamis, and New Yorks of the league.

So Jazz fans should come to the realization that signing big time players like Granger isn't very probable. Sincerely, I believe the (only) option the Utah Jazz have is to build through the draft and use crafty trade moves (like what we did to get Al) to try build a franchise team. Our only hope should be, to draft and develop our own players as soon as possible, and sign average FAs to compliment them. If we can get collect and develop enough stars via the draft and sign enough role players, we might just be able to compete with teams that have robbed the league via free agency of talent (like Miami).

This is why the development of Favors and the draft picks we gained is detrimental for the success of this franchise. Otherwise, we're going to be in the lottery for a long long time after trading away our only legit franchise player.