What's new

Oh Good! A War With Iran!

It was set set of goals to base legislation upon. It would be like considering the preamble to the Constitution to be law.

I really don't understand the problem with the GND. If you don't like parts of it? Come up with a better solutions. Instead, right wingers mock it and hope that by putting their heads in the sand that climate change will go away.

At least AOC and the GND is an attempt to do something. What's the GOP doing to mitigate the consequences of climate change? Giving more handouts to oil companies and lowering environmental restrictions? Wow... Great... Job?

More like what she would want to accomplish with legislation, sure. Is there a part of it you think would be bad to accomplish?

To accomplish? Yes. How about her mandatory buildings regs. Bankruptcy for the nation is bad.

I agree bankruptcy is bad. Which proposed building regulations would engender that?

The part where every building under goes significant renovation. How is that paid for. Come on man? Stop playing

The part where every building under goes significant renovation. How is that paid for. Come on man? Stop playing

I suppose you mean this passage?

upgrading all existing buildings in the United States and building new buildings to achieve maximum energy efficiency, water efficiency, safety, affordability, comfort, and durability, including through electrification;

So, it's too expensive to change the building not currently running on electricity to using electricity, or adding insulation to buildings that need it? There aren't that many of the former, and we already have programs to pay for the latter.

I wouldn't expect you could just one day say "All buildings will be upgraded, no matter what."

I think for commercial buildings you increase property tax a little for each item not upgraded and give them a tax break once they've achieved all the target upgrades.

For government buildings you just start chipping away. Start where you can both make the biggest impact and where you're losing the most money due to inefficiency.

For residential give tax incentives for upgrading specific items. After a given set of time charge some additional property tax for items that are not upgraded.

But I've got one issue here. I love, LOVE, my natural gas appliances. My tankless water heater is a big one. Electric tankless heaters just don't work as well. Same for my stove top, you can pry my gas burners from my cold dead hands.

I wouldn't expect you could just one day say "All buildings will be upgraded, no matter what."

I think for commercial buildings you increase property tax a little for each item not upgraded and give them a tax break once they've achieved all the target upgrades.

For government buildings you just start chipping away. Start where you can both make the biggest impact and where you're losing the most money due to inefficiency.

For residential give tax incentives for upgrading specific items. After a given set of time charge some additional property tax for items that are not upgraded.

But I've got one issue here. I love, LOVE, my natural gas appliances. My tankless water heater is a big one. Electric tankless heaters just don't work as well. Same for my stove top, you can pry my gas burners from my cold dead hands.

I think we can, Ana should do things cleaner. It’s an area I wish there was even more investment in. But all the reports I read had price tags in the 10s of trillions.

For me a better place to start is improved green regs for new construction and machines.

Here’s a place to start. All new semis be CNG engines.