What's new

On the record...

Yeah... I'd want to get to know them as well. I just wouldn't let what I see in an open workout totally supersede my assessment of the player. Especially if its one on none type of deal where dudes are just shooting in an empty gym. I also think with the bonkers workout schedule you could get a guy with dead legs and he looks like ****.

Overall I am not sure if these workouts help or hurt draft evaluators.
If you are working out top guys they arent going around everywhere and working out. The top guys are working out for a small handful of teams.

If you are working out top guys they arent going around everywhere and working out. The top guys are working out for a small handful of teams.
That’s true… I was talking about more common workouts… like part of the reason Don buried Hart in his workout here was schedule and he was tired… iirc he said so in a podcast.

Exum obviously a different situation all together… and fairly interesting note.

You need a Joe Ingles just to start in terms of how you fill the gaps. Who are the other players with Ingles’ skill set (on and off the floor)? Who are the backline rim-protectors that also spread the floor? Who are the quality Jack-of-all-trades big wings that are just sitting around waiting to be signed? This is what I mean by “high-level role players of nearly equal rarity.” The Mitchell Gobert build needs those kinds of gaps filled.

It’s hard to build a championship team, that’s not a reason to not try. When the team you have isn’t that in a very embarrassing way, it’s rational to try something else.

1660898951659.jpeg

If Ricky could have just shot from the floor like he did from the line, things could’ve been so much different. Or maybe it would have just prolonged the inevitable. IDK.

If Ricky could have just shot from the floor like he did from the line, things could’ve been so much different. Or maybe it would have just prolonged the inevitable. IDK.
It would have been better. I really think Ricky with Bogey could have worked out in the long run. Where we really needed the upgrade was at the 3/4 with someone who could play D and stretch the floor and not be a size liability or afraid to shoot. Honestly, adding Grant to that team would have been huge in so many ways.

Ricky
DM
Grant
Bogey
Gobert

2 solid defenders, 1 all-world defender, 1 guy that tried hard on D and the last one that kind of didn't give a **** on D, but then we could cover him up. Ricky wasn't as bad as like Simmons at shooting so he at least could occasionally put the ball in the basket, but with those weapons around him we would have done well. We were too enamored with the money-ball mythos and wanted to flout "hey we got this guy coming up through the ranks, completely unknown, and he can shoot the 3 and defend. Yeah he is only 6'3" or 6'4" maybe but he was unknown, did you hear me? Completely UNKNOWN and we turned him into a starter!! Yeah, found our 3&D guy on the trash heap!! Yeah a starter, shut up. Yeah he would be maybe a 7th man anywhere else, but we develop the **** out of those guys, watch us!! And we got this other, guy, and man can he shoot the rock!! Top 3 pt % on the bench or something, yeah! Yeah his nickname is something to do with soccer moms. No it isn't 'apropos', he is a top-level athlete and watch him shine in the playoffs!! Wait, he did what?"

Frankly I think from the FO to the coach we mismanaged what we had so badly over the last 6 years, it was nearly comical. How we ended up with such inept people that convinced us all for a while they were "stable geniuses" is beyond me. Yeah we squeezed a few good seasons out of the mix, but nothing beyond that, and that tends to be the downfall of moneyball anyway.

It would have been better. I really think Ricky with Bogey could have worked out in the long run. Where we really needed the upgrade was at the 3/4 with someone who could play D and stretch the floor and not be a size liability or afraid to shoot. Honestly, adding Grant to that team would have been huge in so many ways.

Ricky
DM
Grant
Bogey
Gobert

2 solid defenders, 1 all-world defender, 1 guy that tried hard on D and the last one that kind of didn't give a **** on D, but then we could cover him up. Ricky wasn't as bad as like Simmons at shooting so he at least could occasionally put the ball in the basket, but with those weapons around him we would have done well. We were too enamored with the money-ball mythos and wanted to flout "hey we got this guy coming up through the ranks, completely unknown, and he can shoot the 3 and defend. Yeah he is only 6'3" or 6'4" maybe but he was unknown, did you hear me? Completely UNKNOWN and we turned him into a starter!! Yeah, found our 3&D guy on the trash heap!! Yeah a starter, shut up. Yeah he would be maybe a 7th man anywhere else, but we develop the **** out of those guys, watch us!! And we got this other, guy, and man can he shoot the rock!! Top 3 pt % on the bench or something, yeah! Yeah his nickname is something to do with soccer moms. No it isn't 'apropos', he is a top-level athlete and watch him shine in the playoffs!! Wait, he did what?"

Frankly I think from the FO to the coach we mismanaged what we had so badly over the last 6 years, it was nearly comical. How we ended up with such inept people that convinced us all for a while they were "stable geniuses" is beyond me. Yeah we squeezed a few good seasons out of the mix, but nothing beyond that, and that tends to be the downfall of moneyball anyway.

Good shooting Ricky
Don
Ingles
Crowder
Gobert

That would’ve been fine as long as we drafted a long 3/4 ala Mikal Bridges (not saying we could’ve gotten him but someone like him) and not overpaid to re-sign Favors. Not sure if then adding Bogey too would’ve been possible.

Ricky
DM
Grant
Bogey
Gobert

That’s a really poor rebounding team though I think. Grant is sort of bad in that area I think.

That’s a really poor rebounding team though I think. Grant is sort of bad in that area I think.
Gobert is the best rebounder in the league, and Ricky was solid for a guard. Grant is ok, not bad not great. It is at least as good as our teams have been the past few years, we don't have rebounders beyond Gobert. I think it would have been fine.

I forgot to add Ingles in the mix, and I will flagellate myself as penance. With a ball gag, and garrote. You know, for penance.

I don't want to make any bold predictions, HOWEVER, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Jazz in a three team trade with the Knicks and Lakers this week or next as Ainge picks off a couple more unprotected first rounders via the Lakers.. Knicks get Mitchell, Lakers get Bogey, either Fournier or Randle, and Barrett and we get Westbrick and Reddish as well as a King's ransom in first rounders - five from New York and two from LA is my guess. (I think last week's Beverly trade with no second rounders may have been just a preliminary.)

Gobert is the best rebounder in the league, and Ricky was solid for a guard. Grant is ok, not bad not great. It is at least as good as our teams have been the past few years, we don't have rebounders beyond Gobert. I think it would have been fine.

I forgot to add Ingles in the mix, and I will flagellate myself as penance. With a ball gag, and garrote. You know, for penance.

Grant has an 8.2% rebound percentage and 5.5 rebounds per 36 for his career which has to be pretty bad for a forward.

Also, @Jason I don’t get notifications any more when people have responded to my posts. Not sure why.

I want to see the jazz keep and develop Vando. He’s got some interesting skill sets, and basketball feel is definitely one of them. Good passer and some handling chops. He’s got potential as a super role player with some dog. I like Kessler as well. I think he can be a defender right away giving him time to develop his jump shot, as of now it’s not there but has potential. I don’t believe Horford had a jump shot right out of the gate.

Put these two in the starting lineup, keep Mitchell. Trade all other vets, and grab some draft assets and build. We have under 3 years to convince Mitchell to stay and re-sign in Utah.
Vanderbilt is the kind of player who would develop much better in a winning situation vs a tanking team. Not really that interested in watching him on a bad team.
23 years old and this will be his first year probably getting 30 minutes per game. On a winning team he's probably getting around 20-25 minutes.

The Twolves ownership collapses due to the Aaron Roderick's divorce and can not pay the luxury tax. Rudy becomes available in two years and a possible reunion with the Jazz will be flirted with...

I don't want to make any bold predictions, HOWEVER, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Jazz in a three team trade with the Knicks and Lakers this week or next as Ainge picks off a couple more unprotected first rounders via the Lakers.. Knicks get Mitchell, Lakers get Bogey, either Fournier or Randle, and Barrett and we get Westbrick and Reddish as well as a King's ransom in first rounders - five from New York and two from LA is my guess. (I think last week's Beverly trade with no second rounders may have been just a preliminary.)

I hope not. Watching the Cam Reddish experience for the next year is enough to make me not want to watch the Jazz.

Collin sexton will have a better season than Donovan Mitchell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow I hope not. We need to be losing.