What's new

One Key to the Season

Keefe

George, THT and Hendricks all have to get real burn. Like 25+ minutes a night for the two former and at least 20 minutes for Hendricks. Otherwise they become diminishing assets. If we want any real chance at all to ever be able to trade for a Jaylen Brown or Doncic, these guys have to play real minutes (and show something) to be highly attractive to Boston and Dallas or whatever other team we are trying to entice.

Also, I think Doncic is untouchable and that there’s no way Cuban would ever allow it. But Brown is very possible. That cap number will be insane but the cap is set to explode the next few years (I’d estimate 148-152M in 2024-2025 and 162-170M in 2025-2026) and his hit would be much more reasonable.

Also, I think Doncic is untouchable and that there’s no way Cuban would ever allow it. But Brown is very possible. That cap number will be insane but the cap is set to explode the next few years (I’d estimate 148-152M in 2024-2025 and 162-170M in 2025-2026) and his hit would be much more reasonable.
I dunno man, under the new CBA you can only afford 2 max contract..

Are we sure Brown & Lauri can deliver us to the promised land?

George, THT and Hendricks all have to get real burn. Like 25+ minutes a night for the two former and at least 20 minutes for Hendricks. Otherwise they become diminishing assets. If we want any real chance at all to ever be able to trade for a Jaylen Brown or Doncic, these guys have to play real minutes (and show something) to be highly attractive to Boston and Dallas or whatever other team we are trying to entice.
Hardy showed last year that despite Kessler having very positive start with his early season spot minutes he didn't give him anything for free. Same applied to Ochai, who they really liked according to reports but still he didn't get to see much action in the first half of the season. We are likely to see that same pattern repeat with Hendricks, Sensabaugh and George as well.

Was George anyways projected to be a little bit of a project? Like he had stuff he needed to work on before he is NBA ready. Hendricks (if I recall draft assessments correctly) was clearly the most NBA ready of the trio.

That's just so insane to me. How far are we from players making $100 mil for a single season? Absolutely ludicrous.

The front office isn't going to dictate who Hardy plays, and Hardy is going to play who he thinks is going to win games. The Collins deal was a clear indication we aren't trying to be bad this year. The rookies we drafted are all really young.

Add that all up and I find it unlikely the guys we want to see play will get many minutes.

When I saw the title and who started it I was ready to get on and call you an idiot Manbun, but shockingly this is a pretty insightful post.

I would personally like to see the jazz build from base up. I think some of the jazz future success pends on the t-wolves or cavs falling apart and us continuing to receive top talent on rookie contracts. If we look at top teams with sustained success over the past 10 years, all primarily built their rosters through the draft and not free agency or superstar trades where you gut your roster of its youthful promise

I think that's been one of the most underrated things Danny has done for us so far, he has given us the young talent / moveable contracts that you need if you do want to purse a star. We can obviously just develop and build around them but we have flexibility either way. That was one of the biggest issues we had before he took over, just way too top heavy.

Ochai, Sexton, Sensabaugh, Hendricks, George, THT, KO, and possibly even Collins are moveable.

The front office isn't going to dictate who Hardy plays, and Hardy is going to play who he thinks is going to win games. The Collins deal was a clear indication we aren't trying to be bad this year. The rookies we drafted are all really young.

Add that all up and I find it unlikely the guys we want to see play will get many minutes.
Grabbing a buy low target isnt exactly a huge win now move.

Definitely arent trying to be bad, but they can still easily pivot into being bad if the season doesnt start how they want it to.

The rookies won’t get the immediate burn that people are hoping for. They will start off slow and will get their shots as injuries occur.

I think THT will get 25 + minutes and will gradually lose those minutes to George. I think the Jazz brass like the idea of what THT COULD be if he toned down the crazy and could shoot. I think they think it is a better bet that George can bring that before THT becomes that.

THT being an unrestricted free agent tips the scales to George. But if THT kills it, that is a good problem to have as well.

Uh all those guys will show as rookies is that they are rookies and not at all someone those teams want anyway. Clarkson if he is not traded asap,THT amd KO and maybe by then if he played his value up; Sexton imo, are the most likely packaged in any attempt to get a upgrade mid season.
Unless Dallas values all our picks and sending Collins and smaller contract dudes as fillers like bench scrubs, over whatever actual players other teams might offer, like a different star player, we aint getting Luka without moving LM and not until next September