What's new

Open Letter To Gordon Hayward

ive been a supporter at times, and a doubter at times. I hereby climb off of the fence and renounce my doubtful ways.

He does have superstar qualities...
gordon-hayward.jpg

6867413015_dd472a3b83_z.jpg

I always liked Hayward and was a bandwagoner (big surprise I know) but I never expected this level of play.

Last night was dominate. 32 pts, 7 rebs, 8 ast, 2 stls and 1blk!

Favors had 18 pts, 7 reb, 2 ast and 2 blks
Kanter had 14 pts and 11 rebs
Exum had 8pts and 5 ast but he was 3-11.

Burke...ugh...Burke was 0-10 from the floor. With they way he was shooting he was probably on 3-10 for eve hitting the hoop! With how it looks to me he is by far the weak link on this team. That sucks, I don't want him to be.

Hayward just moved into 17th in PPG in the league. He is 4th in SFs in PPG. Behind only Lebron, Carmelo and Gay. He is only .1 ppg behind Gay.

I always liked Hayward and was a bandwagoner (big surprise I know) but I never expected this level of play.

Last night was dominate. 32 pts, 7 rebs, 8 ast, 2 stls and 1blk!

Favors had 18 pts, 7 reb, 2 ast and 2 blks
Kanter had 14 pts and 11 rebs
Exum had 8pts and 5 ast but he was 3-11.

Burke...ugh...Burke was 0-10 from the floor. With they way he was shooting he was probably on 3-10 for eve hitting the hoop! With how it looks to me he is by far the weak link on this team. That sucks, I don't want him to be.

If Burke would stop thinking about shooting and focus on creating for others, then maybe his shot will come around. The trouble is he has a shooter's mentality and he's not a good shooter. To do this, he needs to stop shooting unless he's wide open, and always be thinking pass, the way Stockton did. The difference though is that Stockton was a great shooter, which shows you the mentality of a true and great point guard.

The other problem with Burke is that he is mentally distracted on defense. At times, he can man up, but that's the exception rather than the rule.

Remember the games at the very end of his rookie season against the Lakers and then at home against the Nuggets where he dropped 34? I've known since then he would be a star and I never doubted that he would get there...o.k. maybe just a little doubt crept in because of ast holes like you guys. ;)

Last edited:
If Burke would stop thinking about shooting and focus on creating for others, then maybe his shot will come around.

Or not. It doesn't even matter whether his shots come around, you can still be a servicable PG in this league even if people don't respect your shot at all. I'm not just talking about early Kidd or prime Rondo. I still have fond memories of Earl Watson. Yes, he couldn't shoot, yes his height made it harder for him to guard many backcourts, but he would come in, throw some lobs to Evans, set up guys and try to hold down the fort until a starter came back in. In other words, he did what he was good at, and recognized his own limitations.

Here's a crazy stat about Burke this year. He has had a dozen games where he took 10 or more shots and shot under .300(!) for the game. That includes the goose egg he laid last night, 1-10 against the Cavs, the absolute stinker against the Hawks when he went 2-19, and the 2-13 game against the Suns a few days ago. Here's the kicker. Only 3 times of those 12 did he have more than 5 assists. He just has no recognition of when to just stop shooting. It's not even about waiting for easy buckets and getting confidence up and whatever. Just stop shooting. Do other things. Help your team.

I will say I'm pretty sure I was either the first or second to say he would be a star. Said it when Sloan was still the coach around mid season of his rookie season

I am just happy his three point shooting is working again. He played good last year but the three point shooting killed him.

Always believed in our little nerd.

Tbh even with Hayward's awesome exhibition of skills last night I couldn't help but laugh at him for how many times he ****ed with his hair.
giphy.gif

Tbh even with Hayward's awesome exhibition of skills last night I couldn't help but laugh at him for how many times he ****ed with his hair.
giphy.gif

I got a theory he has some kind of stuff in his hair that gives him better grip on the ball, which explains his improved handle and shot.

Any got some links to highlight videos of his past few big games. I've been busy and missed more games than I would like. If they are in some other thread please direct me there.

Thanks.