What's new

Our PF problem

Favors, JJ, Bolomboy and Diaw are all 4s. Hayward can play some 4 as well.
I think Diaw isn't technically on the roster unless/until the Jazz pick up his option (which I rate at about a 3% chance). But point taken.

I think Diaw isn't technically on the roster unless/until the Jazz pick up his option (which I rate at about a 3% chance). But point taken.
Hmm, I just assumed he was on our team until we declined his option or traded him. I guess I have not looked at his contact situation. Why is he being mentioned in trades then? He is not someone we can trade unless we pick up his option?

Hmm, I just assumed he was on our team until we declined his option or traded him. I guess I have not looked at his contact situation. Why is he being mentioned in trades then? He is not someone we can trade unless we pick up his option?
He is certainly someone we can trade. But I don't think he counts as being on the roster. Of course I could be wrong.

Favors, JJ, Bolomboy and Diaw are all 4s. Hayward can play some 4 as well.

JJ plays 4 on this team and in the modern NBA but isn't really one, Diaw will be gone in nearly every scenario, we don't know if Favors and Gobert work together on the floor at the same time (or if he'll even be here come the start of the season), and Bolomboy is (or at least has been) a D-Leaguer.

Sorry, not convinced that the position is in good shape.

JJ plays 4 on this team and in the modern NBA but isn't really one, Diaw will be gone in nearly every scenario, we don't know if Favors and Gobert work together on the floor at the same time (or if he'll even be here come the start of the season), and Bolomboy is (or at least has been) a D-Leaguer.

Are the Jazz playing the 90's next year? I think the PF position is good this year, but the future of the position beyond this year in his doubt.

JJ was a 3 but is now more of a 4, so I would call that good position.

I agree the position needs help though. Mostly because of favors health being in question.

Favors and Gobert when healthy have worked great together and there is lots of evidence of that. I do agree that he might be traded but as of right now we have him slated to start at the 4. His health is the only real concern.

Bolomboy is unknown for the most part.

Diaw is probably gone, unless we need him and don't get anyone else. We know he can hold down the 4 for us since he did a huge chunk of last season.

If we can save some money on the PG spot, we could possibly look at Rudy Gay on a 2 year + Team Option deal. We could play him at the 3 or 4.

A guy like Marvin Williams could fit in as well.

He is certainly someone we can trade. But I don't think he counts as being on the roster. Of course I could be wrong.
I guess it's just semantics then. I would call someone we have the rights to trade as someone on our team. But that doesnt really matter for this I suppose. If the team needs or wants him we have him. I would guess we pick up another pf in trade or fa. If we don't do that and we are not over the luxury cap line we will keep him. The team and staff seems to like him. He also adds value to the team off the court. He helped Rudy to improve by all accounts.

The team will mostly play 4-1 with Gobert in the middle, so not much need for a great 4. A high quality 1/2 on the other hand...

Like Ron, I assume he's on our roster. Hence why we would be able to trade him (how can you trade someone who isn't on the roster?) and have to opt out of his contract by whatever date if we choose to do so.

Last edited:
Regarding Diaw, he's under contract until 2018, it's just that it's not guaranteed until July 15 so we have to actively waive him before then. It's not an option we pick up or decline. Semantics, I know, but he's technically under contract until we waive him sometime on the 14th.