What's new

Patrick Beilein joining Quin Snyder's Utah Jazz staff

"Snyder plans to utilize Beilein's strengths as a shooting instructor with a young, developing roster."

Well, he's no Engelland, but at least Utah sees the need for someone to come in and work with Trey and Dante.

Nice to see that the team seems to be continuously looking for talent and not just on the court.

I gotta say, a few days go by and this board gets me down but dammit if Dennis Lindsey doesn't do something amazing to get my spirits flying high again. I wanted Engelland, a shooting coach and we got one. Maybe it means nothing but all I think of is Burke killing it as a shooter his last year at Michigan and Stauskas looking like the second coming of Kyle Korver. This leaves me hopeful.

I gotta say, a few days go by and this board gets me down but dammit if Dennis Lindsey doesn't do something amazing to get my spirits flying high again. I wanted Engelland, a shooting coach and we got one. Maybe it means nothing but all I think of is Burke killing it as a shooter his last year at Michigan and Stauskas looking like the second coming of Kyle Korver. This leaves me hopeful.

I am highly encouraged as well. Shows that DL and Snyder seem to understand the weakness of this team and how to address them in a way I did not see with DL and Corbin.

#BelieveInLindsey

I also must admit that I am encouraged by the new direction of Jazz management. They see a need and for the most part, have been addressing it. Pretty much all of our players could use a fine-tuning on their shooting.

Obviously coaching isn't transitive, or genetic, but John Beilein is a phenomenal shooting coach. I remember reading an article about it when looking up some stuff on Nik Stauskas. Hopefully Patrick will be asking his dad for some advice, which I'm sure he will be. It's all about the footwork, hand positioning, etc etc. I'll see if I can find it, but here's a different one that touches on some of it.

"Lots of coaches work on shooting with players, but Beilein teaches guys how to shoot," an NBA executive told me. "He doesn't just work with them. He actually teaches them."

Except for Stauskas, of course.

"We do sort of have a system [when it comes to shooting], but with Nik our system was, 'Stay the heck away from him. Just let him go,'" Beilein said with a laugh. "Nik came to us that way. But we do, with other players, spend a lot of time looking at body balance and spin. ... As a staff, we study it and, over time, you see what works. Then you try to get the young man to shoot the same way consistently."

Which is where the "Beilein Ball" comes into play.

Yes, there's really a ball named after Beilein. It has a line down the middle -- a Beilein, if you will -- and is designed to ensure players get proper rotation consistently.

"We have 12 on the rack everyday," Beilein said.

And it's among the reasons why Burke, Stauskas and LeVert all improved as shooters during their time on campus even if, again, Stauskas was an elite shooter upon arrival.

"My shooting form didn't really change, but Coach Beilein is the person who gave me confidence to do it in games," Stauskas said. "He'd let me miss a couple of shots, and he wouldn't yell at me or say anything. And that gave me the confidence to keep shooting and do what I do. He just put me in great situations."

https://www.cbssports.com/collegeba...-at-turning-lowly-recruits-into-lottery-picks