What's new

Paul Reed signs 3 yr 24mil offer sheet with Jazz

Wow Reed's agent must be confident Jazz will make playoff's and get out of first round
Seems like a lot of money to leave on the table for Reed
Of course a raise to 8 mil from 2 is very generous
He's maybe only a 3 yr 9 mil type player

Danny Ainge continuing to give Philly his own unique version of Brotherly Love.

If they do not match, they would have lost George Niang, Shake Milton and Reed this free agency.

Wow Reed's agent must be confident Jazz will make playoff's and get out of first round
Seems like a lot of money to leave on the table for Reed
I think you are looking at it wrong. The agent was just trying to get as much for his client for this year and 8mil is clearly an overpay compared to what his actually market value is. I doubt the agent has any expectation of the jazz making it out of the first round. That part of the contract was most likely purely the jazz making and the 8mil this year was just too good to pass up. My guess is the sixers were probably hoping to lock him up for closer to 4mil with a few team option years.

I think you are looking at it wrong. The agent was just trying to get as much for his client for this year and 8mil is clearly an overpay compared to what his actually market value is. I doubt the agent has any expectation of the jazz making it out of the first round. That part of the contract was most likely purely the jazz making and the 8mil this year was just too good to pass up. My guess is the sixers were probably hoping to lock him up for closer to 4mil with a few team option years.
You are right That idea crossed my mind and I added it to my post

Funny contract….I like bball Paul but that’s a lot of dough. I guess @NUMBERICA was right. Hendricks is never gonna play.
It feels like if the sixers don't match then another deal has to be in the works. It would really suck to see Hendricks rot on the bench all year behind guys that may be a little bit better this year but not even close to the same upside.

I wonder if this deal signals some type of Olynyk trade coming in the future if the sixers don't match. As it stands we simply don't have the minutes for the bigs that we have.

That's what left me intrigued over this deal. Unless we move on from someone of our current frontcourt options, he should not play at all most nights.

I can't stop laughing at that conference finals provision...maybe I'm just easily amused, but it seems so hilariously...not sure if petty is the right word, but hilariously targeted.
Think it's if Jazz make playoffs and get past first round to conf semi-finals which would be a very big longshot
If so Reed would be richly rewarded

If the Sixers don't match I think they almost have to trade KO.

I have the feeling none of the rooks are going to play much until the trade deadline similar to Agbaji this past season.

That's what left me intrigued over this deal. Unless we move on from someone of our current frontcourt options, he should not play at all most nights.
Yep. Paying 8mil for a guy that would be purely an injury replacement doesn't make much sense without another move in the pipeline.

It feels like if the sixers don't match then another deal has to be in the works. It would really suck to see Hendricks rot on the bench all year behind guys that may be a little bit better this year but not even close to the same upside.

I know Hendricks is 19, but imo part of the appeal of him is that he has ready made NBA skills. He’s a contribute right away type of guy. He’s a player that should look better next to better players. To see him rot in the G-League…frustrating. I guess we could try to develop out more of his offensive game, but I’m not too optimistic about that part of his game.

Also, John Collins should just be our backup C and play with Kelly. But whatever…collecting assets I guess. Expensive to pay a guy $8M that won’t improve your rotation.

I know Hendricks is 19, but imo part of the appeal of him is that he has ready made NBA skills. He’s a contribute right away type of guy. He’s a player that should look better next to better players. To see him rot in the G-League…frustrating. I guess we could try to develop out more of his offensive game, but I’m not too optimistic about that part of his game.

Also, John Collins should just be our backup C and play with Kelly. But whatever…collecting assets I guess. Expensive to pay a guy $8M that won’t improve your rotation.

I wonder if the front office thinks Hendricks can play most of his minutes at the 3 spot immediately. I always felt that is the position that he should be groomed for but I thought it would be more of a gradual process. In all the videos I watched of him he never really showed an off the dribble game but sometimes that is more so coaches pigeonholing players into roles rather than a players actual capability. That was definitely the case with Kuzma. At Utah he was basically just a spot up shooter on the perimeter and a diving big but the second he got to the predraft scrimmages he showed an extremely versatile perimeter game and had utes fans saying what the hell.

Seems like this move signals Jazz will try to make the playoffs next year
Ainge still has some maybe big moves up his sleeve
This move signals the opposite. It suggests the Jazz believe they will not be a contender or are likely to make it out of the first round of the playoffs.

However, this contract is a useful trade asset - an 8 million expiring for any team looking to blow it up.

This move signals the opposite. It suggests the Jazz believe they will not be a contender or are likely to make it out of the first round of the playoffs.

However, this contract is a useful trade asset - an 8 million expiring for any team looking to blow it up.
Could be
But why would Reed agree to this just to be traded half way through the season.

I wonder if the front office thinks Hendricks can play most of his minutes at the 3 spot immediately. I always felt that is the position that he should be groomed for but I thought it would be more of a gradual process. In all the videos I watched of him he never really showed an off the dribble game but sometimes that is more so coaches pigeonholing players into roles rather than a players actual capability. That was definitely the case with Kuzma. At Utah he was basically just a spot up shooter on the perimeter and a diving big but the second he got to the predraft scrimmages he showed an extremely versatile perimeter game and had utes fans saying what the hell.

I don’t think they take issue with playing Hendricks at the 3, but looks like Lauri is going to be playing the majority of his minutes there and I bet Ochai gets more of those minutes than Hendricks. If you just forget about the positions and make a priority list of who gets minutes, Hendricks is far down that list. The lineups are malleable so Hardy can give the minutes to whoever he wants. I think he will choose to give Ochai or Reed 10 more minutes before he gives Hendricks 10 minutes.

Because if I showed up at your house with $6 million and said it was yours but you’d need to live in Dallas for four months, you’d probably do that.
I would do that That's four times more money then I have made my whole life
Yipee!!!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Last edited: