What's new

Paul Reed signs 3 yr 24mil offer sheet with Jazz

Everyone on Reddit calling Ainge a genius and the best GM in the league.
With others pointing out that the GMs (and their other titles) are a fraternity that can blackball a franchise. It's a tough line that people like Ainge and Zanek have to watch out for. If you win every trade you do, people learn to not trade with you.

Our guys have to find a way to win the trade for both teams. Luckily I believe we have those people.

With others pointing out that the GMs (and their other titles) are a fraternity that can blackball a franchise. It's a tough line that people like Ainge and Zanek have to watch out for. If you win every trade you do, people learn to not trade with you.

Our guys have to find a way to win the trade for both teams. Luckily I believe we have those people.
Ainge doesn't care.about his career anymore. He is dangerous. He actually will do anything to help Utah win...that is not typical.

You lost me at "dominant gleague play".

Rule #1: You never pay any attention to G-League results or stats.
Rule #2: You never pay any attention to Per 36 stats.

Reed doesn't move the needle at all, but few 9th men do. Probably deserves a roster spot. It's just hilarious to see all the Paul Reed experts suddenly coming out of the woodwork. (After a furious Google session, of course.)
I admit that I didn’t know about his G League exploits but I’m sure I wasn’t alone as a fan of the game being impressed enough with the first two Philly upset wins in Boston to remember the backup center filling in for an injured Embid.

Big Paul Reed fan, Doc would bench him for no reason, was frustrating. Would love to see him here.

We’re over a week into free agency. Nobody has snatched him up until we did. And this move apparently wasn’t all that imperative since we waited 8 days to do it.
Again, maybe. We'll never know because we did snatch him up. Either way, if this move sets up another move then perhaps the timing of it becomes more clear later on.

If you finally make a breakthrough with a trade partner on another deal, but you need a player/contract like Reed to fill a need they are asking for (or he replaces a player that will be traded), then that's when you offer him. Not before.

We’re over a week into free agency. Nobody has snatched him up until we did. And this move apparently wasn’t all that imperative since we waited 8 days to do it.
Part of that is you wait 5-6 days on restricted FAs because of the moratorium.

I mean if we get him it’s a one year deal most likely… if we made the second round I’d be pretty shocked. Paul is at least fun.

Even better phrasing for that fantastic clause would have been:

"The contract becomes guaranteed for the last two years if the team advances to but not beyond conference semi-finals"

So the Jazz have a large and interesting combination of assets in contracts. A declining contract, some variety of expiring deals, and a couple of large salaries in Clarkson, Collins, and Sexton.
It appears to be a similar approach to last year. Deal some vets at the deadline, open up roster spaces and let the young guys burn the second half of the year. It’s pretty smart, I don’t think you can expect 19 year old guys to play 80 games in the first year and be competitive and consistent. I think it gives them the best chance at success to allow them to see how the game is played and get into a pro mindset and get into tip top shape and then play with confidence the second half of the year.
Sounds like you’ve figured out their plans.

It's super weird how our FO is treatig Hendricks from the moment they drafted him. Every single thing they've done since suggests they don't think he's ready to play... yet. And I completely agree with you that this is at the very least surprising when you consider his skillset. I thought he would be really easy fit in ... not just ours but pretty much any team's rotation, since his skills are not high variance skills or skills highly dependent on teammates. He can shoot, he can dunk and he can defend. He will be able to do this pretty much anywhere... too bad that his anywhere is likely going to be the G-League at least to start his career.
This isn't unusual, the Jazz do this a lot. They draft guys and then turn around and add veterans who play the same posiiton. Hardy will play whoever earns their minutes. Someone mentioned that we needed to add another SF and that is crazy talk. Jazz have plenty of guys who can play the SF. If anything the Jazz may have to purge a few guys if the young guns show they are ready to go. I love this move and I highly doubt DA cares if anyone hates him. He is use to it. He was hated when he played for BYU and the Celtics. DA doesn't let his emotions make decisions for him. I haven't agreed with everything DA has done but I am not privileged to his evil plan to rule the NBA. hahahahha

It's super weird how our FO is treatig Hendricks from the moment they drafted him. Every single thing they've done since suggests they don't think he's ready to play... yet. And I completely agree with you that this is at the very least surprising when you consider his skillset. I thought he would be really easy fit in ... not just ours but pretty much any team's rotation, since his skills are not high variance skills or skills highly dependent on teammates. He can shoot, he can dunk and he can defend. He will be able to do this pretty much anywhere... too bad that his anywhere is likely going to be the G-League at least to start his career.
If Hendricks can beat them out, he will play. I’m not worried about that. Hardy has shown that in the past. Never bad to have too many good players…

This isn't unusual, the Jazz do this a lot. They draft guys and then turn around and add veterans who play the same posiiton. Hardy will play whoever earns their minutes. Someone mentioned that we needed to add another SF and that is crazy talk. Jazz have plenty of guys who can play the SF. If anything the Jazz may have to purge a few guys if the young guns show they are ready to go. I love this move and I highly doubt DA cares if anyone hates him. He is use to it. He was hated when he played for BYU and the Celtics. DA doesn't let his emotions make decisions for him. I haven't agreed with everything DA has done but I am not privileged to his evil plan to rule the NBA. hahahahha
not really. he will play veterans immediately regardless, and when he decides to give rookies an opportunity to play, if they play well he will keep playing them.

The rights to Ricky Sanchez Podcast guys (a hilarious sixers pod) are adamant that the match the offer sheet… they have loved Paul forever… he’s been on their pod before (as has Daryl Morey). They were devastated at the thought he might leave.

Paul is one of those guys that does 2-3 amazing things… and some dumb things… but the positives typically outweigh the negatives… doc hates playing young guys like that and I think he’s a bit better than he’s showed… Hardy will need to be patient… but I think we will love him.

The rights to Ricky Sanchez Podcast guys (a hilarious sixers pod) are adamant that the match the offer sheet… they have loved Paul forever… he’s been on their pod before (as has Daryl Morey). They were devastated at the thought he might leave.

Paul is one of those guys that does 2-3 amazing things… and some dumb things… but the positives typically outweigh the negatives… doc hates playing young guys like that and I think he’s a bit better than he’s showed… Hardy will need to be patient… but I think we will love him.
To be clear, are they saying they think the Sixers WILL match or simply that they SHOULD match?

To be clear, are they saying they think the Sixers WILL match or simply that they SHOULD match?
I was watching what was posted on this site and the guy in the video was whining about how much money the Sixers owner was worth and 14 million in the luxury tax is a rounding error. He sounded like they won't match.

From what I understand Morey supposedly wants to keep his powder dry to chase a big name FA next offseason. Not sure he wants Reed's money on their cap next year which would happen if they make the conference semifinals again.